BANGKOK
webfact

Man arrested for over charging for face masks

Man arrested for over charging for face masks

covid.jpg

A man has been held in custody for allegedly over charging for face masks in a sting operation the Internal Trade Department.

The department’s deputy director-general, Prayote Pensut, said today that officials, on routine surfing of the internet to look for face masks for sale online, found an advertisement offering masks for sale at 14 baht each.

Posing as a customer, an official contacted the vendor via the mobile phone number provided and offered to buy 29 boxes, containing 50 face masks each, for 20,300 baht to be delivered to the Siam Rath newspaper office in Bang Plad district.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/man-arrested-for-over-charging-for-face-masks/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The greedy sod...……............…….! 

This is why there aren't any mouthmasks for sale in BKK....when will the new stock arrive general?

What's the exact definition of overcharging?

If I remember correctly two 3M surgical masks at 7-11 are 25 Baht.

So can I also report them?

14 Baht! 3M N95 masks were fetching 150 baht each, if you could find them! 

And hand gel is being sold in the open at 300 baht for a small bottle in most of the malls in the north.

• Like 2

Shame they didn't do the same with Suthep for all those times he was gouging 🤐

13 minutes ago, CLW said:

What's the exact definition of overcharging?

If I remember correctly two 3M surgical masks at 7-11 are 25 Baht.

So can I also report them?

10 minutes ago, saengd said:

14 Baht! 3M N95 masks were fetching 150 baht each, if you could find them! 

And hand gel is being sold in the open at 300 baht for a small bottle in most of the malls in the north.

I think the masks in the OP here are the (normally cheap) paper drugstore variety -- not the N95 particulate type masks... 

When the govt here talks about overcharging for masks, they seem to be focused entirely on the cheap paper kind, which are the same kind the government has been distributing to the public and/or selling on its own.

The status of the N95 masks and their pricing, when they can be found here, seems to be absolutely nowhere in the picture. In better times, you could find legit 3M N95 masks here sold for about 30 baht a piece or less....but never for a couple baht as with the paper masks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thian said:

This is why there aren't any mouthmasks for sale in BKK....when will the new stock arrive general?

I think they'll need to form a committee to investigate about that!  :closedeyes:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The department’s deputy director-general, Prayote Pensut, said today that officials, on routine surfing of the internet to look for face masks for sale online, found an advertisement offering masks for sale at 14 baht each.

Supply and demand...

• Like 2

Was in the Indra shopping centre a few days ago and noticed a group of South Asians loudly haggling over the cost of 20 baht for a mouth mask with one of the Thai small business sellers. One of them picked it up and then ungraciously threw it down when the old Thai lady would not agree to his price. 

Price gouging all the time, especially when there are holidays and hotels/airlines etc want to squeeze a bit more out of everybody

Soon a ban on kissing will be enforced 

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think the masks in the OP here are the (normally cheap) paper drugstore variety -- not the N95 particulate type masks... 

When the govt here talks about overcharging for masks, they seem to be focused entirely on the cheap paper kind, which are the same kind the government has been distributing to the public and/or selling on its own.

The status of the N95 masks and their pricing, when they can be found here, seems to be absolutely nowhere in the picture. In better times, you could find legit 3M N95 masks here sold for about 30 baht a piece or less....but never for a couple baht as with the paper masks.

When the Coronavirus news was just starting to be noticed, I ordered a box of 50 3M N95 respirators on Lazada. Total cost 790 Baht. Since then prices have gone up 10 fold!