Long-time Trump adviser Stone to be sentenced by judge he antagonized

webfact

The sentence will be longer as a result of Trump interfering with the judicial system.

But it's a moot point because Trump will want to show his cojones and will commute the sentence in his next batch, if not sooner.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, neeray said:

The sentence will be longer as a result of Trump interfering with the judicial system.

But it's a moot point because Trump will want to show his cojones and will commute the sentence in his next batch, if not sooner.

Trump will do no such thing.

He can’t risk a legal challenge to him pardoning coconspirators in his own crime, let alone stripping Stone of his 5th Amendment rights.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump will do no such thing.

He can’t risk a legal challenge to him pardoning coconspirators in his own crime, let alone stripping Stone of his 5th Amendment rights.

I think Trump is a criminal and deserves to be kicked out of office and thrown in jail....

BUT.... from what I've understood, a president's pardoning authority when it comes to federal offenses supposedly is pretty much unlimited. Recall, back earlier in the Mueller process, there was even some discussion about whether Trump could pardon himself if he was convicted while serving.

I don't think it's right by any means, but I don't think any of the usual "conflict of interest" provisions apply when it comes to presidential pardon decisions.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think Trump is a criminal and deserves to be kicked out of office and thrown in jail....

BUT.... from what I've understood, a president's pardoning authority when it comes to federal offenses supposedly is pretty much unlimited. Recall, back earlier in the Mueller process, there was even some discussion about whether Trump could pardon himself if he was convicted while serving.

I don't think it's right by any means, but I don't think any of the usual "conflict of interest" provisions apply when it comes to presidential pardon decisions.

No President has ever tried to Pardon himself or his co-conspirators.

Be assured any attempt for Trump to do so will face a legal challenge, which is precisely why he’s saving that card to be played only for himself and his family.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No President has ever tried to Pardon himself or his co-conspirators.

Be assured any attempt for Trump to do so will face a legal challenge, which is precisely why he’s saving that card to be played only for himself and his family.

Trump has an ever increasing portfolio of having done things that past presidents have never or rarely done. 

But just as some prior examples of presidential pardons prerogative, if memory serves, Bill Clinton at one point pardoned his own brother for a cocaine conviction charge, as well as his one-time business partner Susan McDougal of the Whitewater scandal fame.  While George W. Bush commuted the sentence of former aide Scooter Libby in a perjury case.

As I said above, in the federal realm, presidential pardon prerogative is basically unlimited. And if you think the current Supreme Court would uphold any challenge to that notion, you're dreamin'....

Plus Trump hasn't been charged with any crime as yet... So it would be kind of hard for him to have any "legal" co-conspirators at this point. Rather, they're all just friends and allies who have just as much disregard for the law as their boss.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

George H.W. Bush did something far worse. He pardoned the high level officials being investigated over the Iran-Contra scandal. Their testimony likely would have implicated him. And you know who recommended those pardons: William Barr, who was AG at the time.

Republican president George H. W. Bush pardoned, commuted or rescinded the convictions of 77 people.[19] Among them are:

For their roles in the Iran–Contra affair

Elliott Abrams

Duane Clarridge

Clair George

Alan Fiers

Robert McFarlane – National Security Adviser to President Ronald Reagan

Caspar Weinberger – Secretary of Defense under President Ronald Reagan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_president_of_the_United_States

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Trump has an ever increasing portfolio of having done things that past presidents have never or rarely done. 

But just as some prior examples of presidential pardons prerogative, if memory serves, Bill Clinton at one point pardoned his own brother for a cocaine conviction charge, as well as his one-time business partner Susan McDougal of the Whitewater scandal fame.  While George W. Bush commuted the sentence of former aide Scooter Libby in a perjury case.

As I said above, in the federal realm, presidential pardon prerogative is basically unlimited. And if you think the current Supreme Court would uphold any challenge to that notion, you're dreamin'....

Plus Trump hasn't been charged with any crime as yet... So it would be kind of hard for him to have any "legal" co-conspirators at this point. Rather, they're all just friends and allies who have just as much disregard for the law as their boss.

You don’t need to be indicted to be identified as a coconspirator, ‘Individual-1’ is aware of that.

A better argument is, though I doubt you’ll like it, ‘Pardons’ are applied post conviction and hence not something that can be fished out to people who have not been indicted.

Edited by Chomper Higgot