Burglaries, police inactivity force Canadian/Thai couple out of Thailand - they had 1M baht at home "waiting for exchange rate to improve"

webfact

20 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

The police know who has done this crime. The money is long gone. They should have offered the police a 50K reward for return of the money and property. 

Met a backpacker in Chiang Mai many moons ago who had stupidly left 2000 pounds sterling locked in a small case which he had put onto the bus from Bkk to CM. It transpired that during the journey somebody associated with the company had gone through each case removing stuff and relocking the bags. Outraged at getting no response from the driver who was denying it ever happen he went to the police who just weren't interested.

Thankfully a kindly farang overheard the conversation ands took him to one side and offered him some friendly advice that a 10k baht reward might help things somewhat. So armed with a couple of now friendly cashed up Somchais he went back to the bus driver was confronted with an offer he couldn't refuse and got the whole 2000 pounds sterling back. Moral of the tale is a) keep cash on you at all times and b) Cops are for hire they 'not same your country'. 

19 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Mmmmm a fool and his money are soon parted.

I knew a chap who told me many moons ago, putting in cctv in or around your house is not worth the 30 - 40 000Baht.

A year later his house was broken into and more than 10 Million Bahts worth of money, jewlery etc was stolen.

Now when I see him, I always mention that 40 thousand Baht instalation.

Fools.

I bet he looks forward to seeing you then !

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Shadychris said:

Small safes can be fairly easily removed by a determined thief, and easily carried away.

???? Maybe that's why you've had a few....

Nope,

Another thing being, I lived in a place where no one ever came to, which suited me fine. During a lot of my time in Thailand I was totally single, by choice. I didn't have people coming to my place and "casing the joint", which I think can be the case when one has a partner/spouse.

16 hours ago, SammyA said:

If it’s a gated community chances are it’s the security guards behind the break ins or they’re at least aware of it and probably looking the other way for a piece of the action. 

AI still has a long way to go before it equals Harold Robbins - welcome aboard SammyA. ????

12 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Gated Communities really do actually SUCK ! they are every where, in every country, but they just avoid the Real social problems. 

Do know that along the Southern French, Mediterranean coast there are Communities, who refuse to let Public transport go in to them, .... (No Trash Right ?) I.e. no one else from else where ! can go down the Beach !!!

So who do you suppose Lives there ??? .... Poor French that lived there in the first Place ! ? .... NO !, Rich expatriate Germans, British and Australians !

... I hope that there are more Burglaries in places like this !!!

Crikey you do capitals with the CAPS LOCK off !

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, straylight said:

Too cheap to invest 5 to 10 thousand baht in an adequate safe — too heavy to carry, bought at Global or Home Pro when they keep that amount at home.

You don't get an adequate safe for 5k, but more like 50k - anyway a cheap investment to protect your valuables ... :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, judokrab said:

It looks totally <deleted>.

On 2/20/2020 at 3:57 AM, giddyup said:

Hard to really tell, but that house looks far from expensive to me.

* Expensive is relatively - what is expensive for some may be cheap for others .... :thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd

20 hours ago, Mark mark said:

I got my Pickup stolen by the Boys of our own family once, who were just totally lost on Ya Ba back a Few Years ago, when the problem was a lot worse than it was now !!! (The little <Deleted> had stolen keys to my car, and many other peoples houses as well  !!!) ....

We reported it to the police, and you have to hand them the registration. We did. ... and then we got a message back from the cops, that ... "If we did not find the boys, and get our car back, before they did !!! ... Well then THEY might not be coming back" !!! ... And well the Mothers passed this on to them through Family, ... To the Boys. ... And then we got a message back, as to where we could pick up the car !!!! 

So we went there, and did ... had to push it to start it, as they had flattened the battery with their Mobile devices .... but I was so happy that I had a couple of beers !!!

... Then on the way Home !!! You would not believe this !!! .... I was stopped in a Police road Block, ... a bit drunk, and in a reported stolen car !!! .... But well I saluted them, and they saluted me back, and waved me through !!!

THIS is how you have to do things around here !!! and if you do not like it, ... like if you see this just a a Cheap way of avoiding what ever <deleted> that you are escaping from back at Home !!! ... And then call it a <Deleted> Place ! .... Well yes Please leave and go back to where you came from. .... We could do to loose probably at least 50% of the useless European Bluddgers here, as well as most of the Chinese and other Tourists !!! ... Time to get back to Basics ! ? ...

Thailand is a very liberal and GOOD Place !!! .... And if you do not like it !!! Yes .... Just Go Home ! ? ... Or oven on to Bluddge off of other poor people, some where else !!!

I was going to report my self for this one and ask for it to be removed, as the two last paragraphs though probably true, should probably NOT be posted, as they are a bit, arrogant and divisive, and though true, should not have been Posted. ... But well I got a like ! ... So well I will just leave it here ... if the Moderators do, ....  when they get the Data base fixed up, and just say "Well, Yes we all know this, but it really should just be understood, and not said".

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If there is no respect for the law because the law is rarely or selectively enforced, and if no-one can be confident that crime will be investigated fairly because the police don't care and/or are corrupt, that undermines the whole fabric of society. It actually encourages crime. Add to that the self-serving politicians who have ensured they can stay in power indefinitely and you do indeed get what I described.

I haven't commented on this particular case as I know nothing about it except what is written in a poorly researched article. What I did comment on was that a friend of mine suffered what appears to be a very similar experience. The police refused point blank to do their job, even though they knew in which direction to start their investigation. It affected his wife's health and she no longer wanted to live in her own s******e of a country. On that subject, I know of several Thai women who married and went to live in Europe, and not one - not one - wants to return here. One said she would after husband died. That happened six years ago and she still hasn't returned.

I am here because my wife and dozens of members of her family live nearby, and the people are fine, most of the time. It is the government and the police force though that make the country what it is.

You are entitled to your own opinion of course. Just respect the opinion of others, thanks.

Yes Accepted Barry, .... and Yes possibly I over reacted to your original post, sorry, .... Though it was after I got to your "s******e of a country" bit, and I am not going to apologies outright, as by saying that, you DO just put yourself ... and the Woman that you out line here, in to the "If you do not like it then Leave" category. Like it is Thailand, the Thai’s country, and not a retirement home for Old Europeans.

… Still, I do admit that I over reacted and possibly should have just let the whole lot of it go through to the Keeper. .... I do not know the circumstances of the case with your Australian friend. ... I DO also know a lot of Thai women that live abroad, but all of the ones that I know LOVE Thailand, and come back here for holidays, as MUTCH as they can ! … And without Complaint. They just stay living abroad, as they are unskilled and can earn a lot LOT more money over there, ... than they can here. ...

Yes the Problem with the Police WAS real for sure, and very wide spread quite a few years ago I am sure ! but I think that it MUST be a lot better here now, as the country DOES slowly move forward on in to our worlds Collective, Brave new Future ! (For better, or for worse) ... But this problem WAS Everywhere back then.  Like not just here. … It was worse … like Much worse in Indonesia, like the Cops not investigating anything, unless you paid them to, like back packers sitting in he police station, having lost every thing on a bus, … but not able to report it, as they had no money to pay them to !!! .... (Like they do not get paid very much like school teachers and Nurses either I should mention) .... but it WAS EVRYWHERE this problem. NOT just here. “In this so called s******e of a country" as you put it …. Right ! …

I worked as a Canvasser for The Nick Xenophon team back in Australia in the 2016 and 2017 elections, and by far the HUGE number of very VERY good Female volunteers that I ended up working with, ALL supported him, as he was a Kind lawyer, and had FORCED the Police to investigate problems with their family, that they had had, but the AUSTRALIAN Police had just refused to investigate !!! …. Like huge numbers of cases like this  ! … Gambling ! ? Drugs I guess ? and Sons Murders by the mafia ! Like “Oh just a Mafia problem” so the Police just ignored the mothers !!!  …. and I see just now that it has come out just recently, that they are just refuse to investigate a Huge proportion of Domestic Violence issues !!! ... Like just to hard ! and they are now moving well, were moving up towards ignoring 50% of then I think ! ??? ….

And in America it was just Lucky that, that poor Australian woman, that probably banged on the back of the Police car, as it was about to drive away and ignore a domestic assault, and they got scared and a inexperienced trigger happy officer shot her dead in the road, …  in her Night gown !!! It was in Minnesota I think ? … It was just lucky that this was high enough profile to be investigated, ….  But that does not cover the obviously just HUGE number of Murdered black men, shot by the Police all over there, that have NOT been investigated properly !!!

Like it happens EVER WHERE. .... And the Thai’s, are just are Thai about it and put a price tag on it. (And it is not a "s******e of a country")  ...

Still I DO agree with you that this problem with the lack of action from the government, …. AND the Police, if they put the case in the too hard basket, ….  EVERY WHERE, SHOULD be directly addresses ! AND Stopped. ....

Thanks for your Moderate reply, and I totally respect, and accept it.

- Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think she meant he wanted to spend a little extra and live in a semi secured neighborhood. We live outside the main village in a house. If you get past the 9 yard dogs and into the house the little

house dog is the Boss of all the dogs....

B79CF3C6-3B87-4378-AEA3-3D863460CD57.jpeg

Edited by DJ54
Picture

On 2/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, darksidedog said:

Much as I dislike keeping large chunks of money in Thai banks, they are a lot safer than having 1,000,000 in the house in cash. One has to ask who else knew the money was there? Many burglaries are the result of inside information after all.

When you want to flaunt as I say "wealth" when it comes to money everyone is a target. Do not  even feel sorry for them this is a classic example of people that are doing better than most to talk about what they had. Do not draw attention, do not show off, do not wear or dress up in so called lavish clothing, etc. this is all the products of people with wealth then another. These types of things happen a global scale and is not subject to only thia's or thailand. Everything plays a factor from the economy and up to the type of system that is in play "Capitalism" these things or ways cause worldwide issues. 

• Like 1

They are not being forced out of Thailand, they are making a decision to leave.

My personal security is my responsibility. Relying on anyone else to do it for me here is foolishness, as is engaging a lawyer. How do they propose to prove they had 40,000 Canadian dollars in the house?

IMO condos are much safer than houses, because a thief is never going to know what is behind the door in an apartment, and escaping via the back door when one is 15 floors up is another deterrent.

• Like 1

what I find extraordinary is Thais reluctance to use bank safety deposit boxes. Think: where did this couple keep the chanoet on their house? likewise, originals of all important papers, e.g. the owners book for the car. Can. birth cert, marriage cert, money (i guess they don't have any gold left). a Thai friend who has 300k baht in gold would not listen to our advice - to open a bank box. She thought that the bank could access the box on their own and find out how much gold she has. Her answer is to keep it in the house, with metal bars in every door and window . different strokes/different folks.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:56 PM, lexilis said:
"Whether Canada would be safer than Thailand regarding burglary is a moot point, notes Thaivisa. Online statistics from the World Data Atlas suggest that in 2010 Canada had 578 burglaries per 100,000 people. In the same year knoema.com suggested the Thai rate was just 9.6 per 100,000.

And the Thai burglary rate had almost halved by 2016."

I am not Canadian but I don't believe these numbers at all.

I am Canadian and I do believe the numbers.  Thieves are brazen as hell in Canada nowadays because nothing happens to them when they get caught.  Rural crime has gotten ridiculous in my part of the country.  We got Yabba there too!