Burglaries, police inactivity force Canadian/Thai couple out of Thailand - they had 1M baht at home "waiting for exchange rate to improve"

webfact

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Apart from the odd 100bht my gf has lifted from my wallet at night, never had anything stolen from my home in Thailand.

If I kept cash at home, it would at least have been put in a small safe.

40k in a drawer ......... madness.

I would have suspected my gf/wife.

Someone other than the gf/wife knew that that money was there.

A small safe can be bought for 5,000-8,000 Baht, I've had a few.

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Inconsistent story.

So many "business men" in Thailand. Wow. Being such a "business man", the Canadian should know that he can open a foreign currency account and avoid hiding his money under a pillow.

Good luck elsewhere. If they want to move each time they are victims of a theft, then there'll be not many countries left after a couple of years.

Is the opening a foreign currency account that easily done?

Asking as I used to have both but was told I had to decide either THB or STG, but I couldn't have both so I had to close one.

Cannot understand people who own or even rent a property and don’t have insurance to cover damage or theft it costs me less than 16,000 baht a year for 10 million cover and that includes all types of flooding as I live more or less on the beach

• Haha 1

"Data Atlas suggest that in 2010 Canada had 578 burglaries per 100,000 people"   10 years ago

"In the same year knoema.com suggested the Thai rate was just 9.6 per 100,000."   I think they omitted to say per month, per week or maybe even per Day!!

"And the Thai burglary rate had almost halved by 2016." from when to when??

Just another instance of quoted figures not being right

• Like 1

Mmmmm a fool and his money are soon parted.

I knew a chap who told me many moons ago, putting in cctv in or around your house is not worth the 30 - 40 000Baht.

A year later his house was broken into and more than 10 Million Bahts worth of money, jewlery etc was stolen.

Now when I see him, I always mention that 40 thousand Baht instalation.

Fools.