Burglaries, police inactivity force Canadian/Thai couple out of Thailand - they had 1M baht at home "waiting for exchange rate to improve"

webfact

Just now, Inepto Cracy said:

Mmmmm a fool and his money are soon parted.

I knew a chap who told me many moons ago, putting in cctv in or around your house is not worth the 30 - 40 000Baht.

A year later his house was broken into and more than 10 Million Bahts worth of money, jewlery etc was stolen.

Now when I see him, I always mention that 40 thousand Baht instalation.

Fools.

this is called penny wise pound foolish.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Cannot understand people who own or even rent a property and don’t have insurance to cover damage or theft it costs me less than 16,000 baht a year for 10 million cover and that includes all types of flooding as I live more or less on the beach

cash coverage is limited by insurance companies. use the bank, unless the money is not clean.

being a little judgmental here it wouldn't be outside the bounds of possibility that the wife had been talking (boasting) to friends about money... i'd say it was an inside job.

i cracked the case of a thai friend whose bank account had been emptied by correctly working out that a colleague at work (both university lecturers) has noted her pin number and taken and returned her bank card from her bag while she was teaching. the police were useless, i worked out who and how almost immediately.

PS the colleague said sorry, returned most of the money and , bizarrely, kept her job.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Someone other than the gf/wife knew that that money was there.

A small safe can be bought for 5,000-8,000 Baht, I've had a few.

even the small safe can be carted away without the need to open it at the site. better to keep cash in the ceiling or some odd place in the house, if you have to keep cash at home, which is foolish to begin with.

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

"My husband thought that buying an expensive house would mean we would also get good security," she said.

Hard to really tell, but that house looks far from expensive to me.

good house also means a good beehive which is likely to have honey.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i was referring to his physical appearance.

i am very judgemental that way.

Do you mean his plaid pants clashing with his polo shirt?  His flip-flops? His dentures?

As for the lady's looks, well, I guess the best that can be said there is: "you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire"...or so they say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Someone other than the gf/wife knew that that money was there.

A small safe can be bought for 5,000-8,000 Baht, I've had a few.

Small safes can be fairly easily removed by a determined thief, and easily carried away.

???? Maybe that's why you've had a few....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, toolpush said:

I am Canadian and I do believe the numbers....

I suspect in Canada (and other Western countries) that the reporting rate for burglaries is much higher than in Thailand, as a crime reference number is usually required to make an insurance claim.

In Thailand likely a much lower % of the population would have house contents insurance, so there's little point in reporting a burglary to the police - unless you had concrete proof of who was responsible....

• Thanks 1