Burglaries, police inactivity force Canadian/Thai couple out of Thailand - they had 1M baht at home "waiting for exchange rate to improve"

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

They had 40,000 Canadian dollars in a bedroom stolen. The wife said they were waiting for the poor exchange rate to improve.

Why did nobody pick up on this?  The THB is still near a five year (if not longer) high against the Canadian dollar (.042 dollars per THB, not far off the high of .044).  A few years back you'd only get .036 dollars per HTBB

• Confused 2

Somebody obviously knew.....

...but one can understand as obviously the victims did not have a foreign exchange account in a Thai Bank to wait till the disastrous exchange rate of the THB improved......and how to trust the Thai banks also ?....... looks that the best option is to carry it along all over, though definately not safe....hope it works out for the victims....????....... large amount of CCTV cameras all over a house and in rooms can dissuade... ?

• Confused 1

Looks like a <1.5M baht house from the picture but hard to tell for sure, even if it would be 2M the security is often still lame. 
In my village the guy always sleep and they just climb over the walls when coming to steal anyway. Hard to catch them in the moment, easy to see back on CCTV.

I would have at least sliced the cash money up in a few stacks and hidden them at very hard to discover places in the house. 
Would also have some basic home security system with that much money laying around.

To blame Thailand is a bit weird though, could have happened anywhere.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Much as I dislike keeping large chunks of money in Thai banks, they are a lot safer than having 1,000,000 in the house in cash. One has to ask who else knew the money was there? Many burglaries are the result of inside information after all.

Thai wife's from foreigners like to bragging how rich she is to her thai friends and where the money is hidden, nothing new here, next story please. 

• Like 1

Come on..Its  common knowledge that a large portion (99.99999%) of the police are lazy and corrupt in LOS ..So much that hardly anyone takes them seriously!

why would anyone expect them to act on this let alone anything else? ???? 

You can can bet your A..e if it was far less and taken from a well known or hi so person they would already have them in custody!

Edited by Tambs2020
Add

Just now, Bedfordshire said:

Inside job

Not sure why you and many others suggest that. There are a lot of robberies in villages around Thailand, in this case they also tried a teacher near his house for only 4K baht and a Thai (who most times have some gold laying around). Doesn't really match a one-hit inside job profile.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Now they have hired the services of lawyer Khomsan Chemchoi who is looking into suing the housing estate and security company in an effort to get back the couple's lost money.

Good luck with suing the housing estate in Thailand, end of story they lose the case and lawyer get a huge fee from the Canadian.

As a foreigner in Thailand everybody wants your money and nobody gives a <deleted> about you when you ar broke.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gravity101 said:

"My husband thought that buying an expensive house would mean we would also get good security," she said.

Lol. Look at that house. Cheap ass house I think she means. Which means sleeping security guard at best.

Rather arrogant! Very nast and twisted thing to say about someone's house/home. Shows a lot about your personality or lack of. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scot123 said:

Rather arrogant! Very nast and twisted thing to say about someone's house/home. Shows a lot about your personality or lack of. 

I didn't think the house looked expensive either.

Given the choice of $40k or the house, I would have taken the $40k.

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

With such a small safe the thief has to carry a heavier load. That's not polite.

You have the safe bolted to the floor, DUH!

(The bolts run through he inside of the safe).

Edited by Andrew65
  • Like 1

What in idiot! If he had that much cash at home he damned sure should have spent money in a wall safe! Serves him right! Sounds like an inside job to me... His wife's family will be living in an expensive house as soon as they leave for Canada! Then she'll divorce his ass when she gets there and her Canadian citizenship! 

Sounds like an Inside Job ? ... or several of them by the sounds of it, … like this crim obviously specializes in this and other Affluent estates like this, and well, you chances would be good just using the basics of “Where most people keep their money” I would think.  ... Like the people that lived there all would be pretty loaded I think ? And as we have seen here, they do some funny things with Money, ... Like keep it in Draws ? Like I wonder where it came from ? ...

Pretty hard to just withdraw ? Or Deposit $40,000 in a bank these days, with the new and international Anti Money laundering laws rising up ? ... Still I bet that this Crim knows this ... and that Rich people in Estates like this possibly have a LOT of  other Reasons for keeping large amounts of UN declared Cash in their houses !!! .... Like then just do a deal with a local, to watch the place, and get a schedule for every person of interest that lives there .... And well use your nose !!! Sniff them out !!! … …  Like people that keep that much cash in their homes, ….  MUST be pretty easy to spot, if you use your brains, and know a bit about street, and Lower upper class psychology, if ask me,

… Do remember the Red Handkerchief Test, where Psychiatrists paraded 20 people randomly, past a mixed Audience of Schitsophriacs, (Criminals and otherwise) and another 50% of normal people .... And one of these people parading, had a red handkerchief in their pocket. Only one, I suppose, … But the Schitzophiliacs had just a HUGELY much greater success in picking which one had it in their pocket !!! Than the normal people did.

… So I would not mind betting that the professional thieves that hit places like this, have a similar ability to pick people with a LARGE amount of cash hidden in their homes !!! .... So then after that, …. It is just knowing when they will be out for a long enough time, for them to be able to find it .... And these people ARE good at this also, …. Like they KNOW where people hide things !!! … I have heard this from people that have been unfortunately, but very successfully robed by them. And they have said that the Thieves found EVERY HIDING PLACE that they had.  .... So yes, just know when they will be out for long enough and then how to gain access to the premises !!! ??? 

… My Mother in Australia has a very Good Alarm system, and this is the best thing actually !!! (Well so far SO good any way and for 30 Years so far ?) … As when it goes off it might not stop them getting in, …. BUT it does reduces the time that they have !!! … To 1. Find the cash, and 2. To vandalize the Premises in the process. !

(Like the Great wall of China, it was not built to keep the Mongolians out, it could not do that, as you would never know where they were going to attack it ! ... But it WAS Built, to stop them being able to get away, and getting back home with the Loot that they would steal !!! ... As you could track them in side the country, and then move troops along the wall, to the place that they looked likely to try to get back over it, .... and apprehend them, as they tried to get out of the country !!! ??? Right ? -

Like Modern Burglar alarms ! ... do not stop people getting in ! ... They just seriously reduce the time that the thieves have in the premises, to do any thing !!! ??? ... ...  (Well this is what I think and practically have observed any way. ?)

And it might not be run by Thais either. This criminal group in Rayong, …. If I was one of those people living in that estate, I would get some friends together, and then start taking a LOT closer interest, in ALL of the other casual friends, … that just seem to be interested in every one !!! … !!! (Worth a few extra exclamation marks this one I think)

Like the intelligent way of solving crime, which I think that the Thais are very good at ! .... Intelligence and knowing what the bad Guys are doing !!! .... (And a thing that I think that the Americans could learn a bit more about also I think ?) ... Like here, in this story, I am also suspicious as to why the Cops are taking no interest ? ??? Like they might now something about it, or about that Money, ... (or even if it actually exists ???) ... better than these guys are saying, or we know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheAppletons said:
"On February 1st a man climbed over the wall of the housing estate and cut his way into the rear of their property. He was dressed like a company employee might be. (How she knew all this was not explained in the story, notes Thaivisa)."

Key quote.

No, it wasn't her brother.