Getting & maintaining a "Real ID" USA drivers license

wpcoe

For long-time/permanent residents of Thailand from the USA, do you maintain a USA drivers license? If so, how?

Earlier this month my wallet, with my Hawaii drivers license in it, was stolen. It was issued pre-"Real ID" gold star licenses. They will only mail a duplicate of the old license to their last address on file for me (which is no longer valid.)

They only issue "Real ID" licenses now, and said at renewal time next year I would have had my license taken because I would not be able to provide a current local address with two forms of verifying ID (rental contract/property deed, utility bills, etc, all in my name).

How have you maintained your USA license, and how will you with this REAL ID cr@p?

In case someone jumps on the "Rah, Rah, South Dakota" bandwagon to apply/renew a SD drivers license you now also need two forms of ID, and "If you use a PO Box, one of your address documents can show that address; however, your other address document MUST show your physical/residential address."

Edited by wpcoe
formatting & censorship
2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

and how will you with this REAL ID cr@p?

A passport, passport card and Global Entry card are all RealID-compliant.

You'll need a RealID-compliant ID for domestic air ravel in the U.S.A. as of Oct. 1. 2020.

My state offers both a RealID-compliant DL and a non-RealID-compliant DL. I chose the latter, upon renewal, owing to the "easier" document requirements.

• Like 1

A Real ID valid for air travel is your passport, thats the gold standard, and you can travel at will within the US

Now if you want to maintain a Real ID Drivers license, thats a different issue.

In that case you have no option but to establish residency in one of the more lenient States, Florida, South Dakota & Texas are the usual suspects.

I'll fess up I am a South Dakotan, but the rules for all those 'lenient' States are similar I believe. 

In SD you need to spend one night every 5 years in the State to qualify as a resident. You take the hotel receipt, your passport to DMV and you're done.

But in all cases you will have no option but to travel to whatever State you choose, this isn't something that's done online, you gotta show up in person. 

This FAQ may help

https://americasmailbox.com/tips_and_tricks/30/Drivers-Licenses

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

Florida made me show up in person, with two recent within 30 days bills (utility, phone or whatever) with my US address on it.  And I had to schedule an appointment as they were not taking walk ins for that.  And bring in proof of citizenship, and ID.  I highly doubt one can get a Real ID Driver License with an out of USA address.  That is a variation I am not aware of, assuming that is what you are trying to do.  Even if a foreign address was allowed, you would still have to get back to some USA state to apply for the license so it does not sound doable from abroad.

California does not seem to allow a foreign address and their site says:  "To prove that you live in California, you must present TWO documents that contain your California mailing address. "

On a related note, while I am a Florida resident, I do maintain a home there, pay bills there, etc.  I frequently am on the road in another state working as a contractor.  And when it came time for my License renewal, I had to fly back to Florida from California where I was working, and show up in person with my paperwork.  So while not quite the same as being abroad, I list it because in a somewhat similar way I was not in my home state when it was time for my new license.

Texas required 2 pieces of mail with an address on it, proof of an SSN (I used a convenient 1099) and a valid ID.  Unbelievably, they wouldn't accept a one week ago expired passport with a photo, biometrics and my travel history, but they would accept a 62 year old birth certificate with absolutely no way to prove it was actually me.

They already had all my info in the system, including SSN from years ago.  But I had to present it all in person because my TXDL was over 2 years expired.

It's definitely not the same USA (or Texas) that I left 20 years ago to work overseas.

FYI, I drove on my Thai DL for almost 90 days while I sorted out getting mail, the 1099, and my birth certificate.  Because of Int'l Treaties and the fact that my Thai DL was in English, I didn't need an IDP.   All an IDP does is translate a valid license into English.  Not necessary if it's already in English.  YMMV.

Edited by impulse
On 2/20/2020 at 11:15 PM, GinBoy2 said:

A Real ID valid for air travel is your passport, thats the gold standard, and you can travel at will within the US

Now if you want to maintain a Real ID Drivers license, thats a different issue.

In that case you have no option but to establish residency in one of the more lenient States, Florida, South Dakota & Texas are the usual suspects.

I'll fess up I am a South Dakotan, but the rules for all those 'lenient' States are similar I believe. 

In SD you need to spend one night every 5 years in the State to qualify as a resident. You take the hotel receipt, your passport to DMV and you're done.

But in all cases you will have no option but to travel to whatever State you choose, this isn't something that's done online, you gotta show up in person. 

This FAQ may help

https://americasmailbox.com/tips_and_tricks/30/Drivers-Licenses

You can remove Texas from your list. no longer easy the comply with real ID

On 2/20/2020 at 11:15 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Assuming you're coming from Asia to the West Coast and transiting thru LA, SF or Seattle, where the heck do you fly to in SD to accomplish that stuff. And what typically the best travel plan for making that trip??

Gotta confess, never been anywhere close to SD!  :biggrin:

On 2/23/2020 at 10:14 AM, pmarlin said:

You can remove Texas from your list. no longer easy the comply with real ID

I looked at the TX DL rules in the past couple months for someone who has a TX mailing address with bank accounts, tax returns and other things registered there. It was going to have to be in person for the initial or every other subsequent renewal. But the documentation didn't strike me as being unachieveable.

AFAIK, as long as you have a valid U.S. passport, having a REAL ID certified driver's license doesn't really provide any additional purpose (other than driving).

The different states seemingly have all been doing their own versions of dealing with Real ID in deciding their rules for issuing their own state DLs, as can be seen by the various member reports here coming from different states.

For me, there's a definite value to having a U.S. DL for banking and driving purposes. But I could care less if it's REAL ID certified or not, as the whole travel related issue of REAL ID is met equally through having a U.S. passport.

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Assuming you're coming from Asia to the West Coast and transiting thru LA, SF or Seattle, where the heck do you fly to in SD to accomplish that stuff. And what typically the best travel plan for making that trip??

Gotta confess, never been anywhere close to SD!  :biggrin:

Not wanting to sound like a travel agent, but...

Fly from Narita direct to Denver, then its 40 mins in the air to Rapid City.

Or wait until summer, then direct flights from LAX & SFO to RAP

...oh and don't forget to visit Mt Rushmore when you are here. Or better still do it in August and you can experience the spectacle of the Sturgis motorcycle rally as well.

Edited by GinBoy2
12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Not wanting to sound like a travel agent, but...

Fly from Narita direct to Denver, then its 40 mins in the air to Rapid City.

Or wait until summer, then direct flights from LAX & SFO to RAP

Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for. Both helpful options...

But I had to look up what the heck RAP means for an airport code.

598777260_2020-02-2415_48_20.jpg.5f9d2eeccca257ff4d3f1a377816d0b6.jpg

PS - I hope they're not flying C-47s for the trips from Cali into RAP!  :biggrin:

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks!  That's exactly what I was looking for. Both helpful options...

But I had to look up what the heck RAP means for an airport code.

598777260_2020-02-2415_48_20.jpg.5f9d2eeccca257ff4d3f1a377816d0b6.jpg

PS - I hope they're not flying C-47s for the trips from Cali into RAP!  :biggrin:

Nah, we've moved on, The direct flights from the West Coast are ERJ-175's, from Denver a mix of regional jets.

But if you want to see cool military stuff, you are bound to see, or at least hear B1 bombers taking off from nearby Ellsworth AFB. Pretty cool aviation museum there too

25 minutes ago, taxout said:

For other possible downsides, recall that some states draw jury panels from driving license records,

I've had no problem getting excused two times now in my state holding a DL... Just took a phone call to the local jury office and an explanation I was out of the area for a considerable period of time.

And I believe the business site GifBoy referenced above re his state, South Dakota, also included a mention that avoiding jury duty there is not a problem.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
On 2/24/2020 at 7:09 AM, andy said:

Interesting that Hawaii is only offering the Real-ID version of the DL, I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

I had to go the US a few months before expiry last time, and did the DL renewal in person - they were pushing the Real ID hard, but I couldn't meet the proof of address requirements.  No problem, as they offered a non-Real-ID version, and said they would continue to do so.  May have to look into SD as who knows how long that will last.

Every state I checked now issues Real ID drivers licenses.

I agree with several statements above and couldn't care less about having a Real ID license, since I have a passport (and Global Entry card), but it seems that to get and maintain a drivers license it's no longer possible to get a non-Real ID license (or will be soon.)

Regardless, I no longer can drive since I now no longer have a drivers license.  Hawaii would only issue a duplicate (non-Real ID) of my lost license if they mail it to the original address for the license.  That address no longer exists, so all they can do is issue a new one, and it will be Real ID.  And, even if they could mail me a duplicate, it expires next year and any renewal will require Real ID compliance.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:49 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've had no problem getting excused two times now in my state holding a DL... Just took a phone call to the local jury office and an explanation I was out of the area for a considerable period of time.

And I believe the business site GifBoy referenced above re his state, South Dakota, also included a mention that avoiding jury duty there is not a problem.

yes for two times and a max of 6 months total from Palm Beach County in Florida.  Now the next time, the clerk will not help you and you have to get the judge to excuse you,  fax him a letter, etc,

On 2/29/2020 at 6:29 PM, wpcoe said:

Every state I checked now issues Real ID drivers licenses.

I agree with several statements above and couldn't care less about having a Real ID license, since I have a passport (and Global Entry card), but it seems that to get and maintain a drivers license it's no longer possible to get a non-Real ID license (or will be soon.)

Regardless, I no longer can drive since I now no longer have a drivers license.  Hawaii would only issue a duplicate (non-Real ID) of my lost license if they mail it to the original address for the license.  That address no longer exists, so all they can do is issue a new one, and it will be Real ID.  And, even if they could mail me a duplicate, it expires next year and any renewal will require Real ID compliance.

Most states used to issue a valid Non Driving ID and from my quick research many will still do that.  Many people do not drive for a variety of reasons. 

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Most states used to issue a valid Non Driving ID and from my quick research many will still do that.  Many people do not drive for a variety of reasons. 

Yeah, but I want to be able to rent a car when I visit family, so I need a license.  Otherwise, I'm not interested in driving either.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Granted all States will give you a non DL ID card.

But the real ID requirements are the same for both, even if you just want an ID card for air travel.

The upcoming deadline for Real ID for air travel is totally separate from a Drivers License.

So, you either need your passport, or a Real ID DL or Identity Card 

On 2/20/2020 at 12:08 PM, oceanbreeze851 said:

I agree with the use of Passport. If you want to drive in the USA after your license has expired, obtain an International driver's license based on your Thai driver's license.

That will not work, or should not work.  The international driver license simply restates that one has a valid driver license.  At least that is what happens in the USA.  I went to AAA auto club, presented my Florida License, they gave me a few pages long pamplet written in several languages, attached a photo of me, and all it does is attest that I have a valid US driver license.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:08 AM, oceanbreeze851 said:

I agree with the use of Passport. If you want to drive in the USA after your license has expired, obtain an International driver's license based on your Thai driver's license.

On 3/2/2020 at 7:27 AM, gk10002000 said:

That will not work, or should not work.  The international driver license simply restates that one has a valid driver license.  At least that is what happens in the USA.  I went to AAA auto club, presented my Florida License, they gave me a few pages long pamplet written in several languages, attached a photo of me, and all it does is attest that I have a valid US driver license.

I think what oceanbreeze851 meant was that if you have both a USA and a Thailand drivers license, but the USA one has expired, you can still drive in the USA with a Thailand license + an obtained-in-Thailand IDL supplement.

In my case, I have no Thailand license.

• 4 weeks later...