BANGKOK
Jip99

Schengen Visa - Belgium. Refused

A friend in Belgium is looking for advice following his girlfriend being refused a visa for a month holiday.

The refusal letter cited not enough reasons to return to Thailand and (I think) insufficient funds for the trip.

The GF lives at home with her parents and daughter; she is financially supported by the Belgian. The dtro g family ties were highlighted and a character reference was provided by the village headman.

With regard to funds for the trip, the boyfriend supplied the normal town hall guarantee. His sponsor letter included evidence of sound employment, assets and ongoing contact in a genuine relationship.

This looks like a poor decision to me. Does anyone have any knowledge of the appeals procedure and/or should they just reapply.

But does she have any reason to return to Thailand which would be accepted by a consulate?

i.e. Owns property? can show regular income from a job she needs to return to?

IMO: Having a child in Thailand is a good reason to return, leaving the child behind in Thailand seems somewhat of a red-flag and the Embassies make their decisions based on ‘balance of probability’, in this case it seems those making the decision have not been able to check off enough ‘check boxes’ to permit the decision. 

One option: Delay the application, have a regular stream of income going through your girlfriends account, ask her to get some regular work and have her employer write a letter of reference outlining that she is taking a holiday (limited duration) and she will return to her job. 

Other options may be to make a holiday booking in an alternative Schengen country and apply there (i.e. France). 

Does your Girlfriend have any recent international travel history? i.e. Japan, Singapore etc and returned, any EU countries? this all helps.

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But does she have any reason to return to Thailand which would be accepted by a consulate?

i.e. Owns property? can show regular income from a job she needs to return to?

IMO: Having a child in Thailand is a good reason to return, leaving the child behind in Thailand seems somewhat of a red-flag and the Embassies make their decisions based on ‘balance of probability’, in this case it seems those making the decision have not been able to check off enough ‘check boxes’ to permit the decision. 

One option: Delay the application, have a regular stream of income going through your girlfriends account, ask her to get some regular work and have her employer write a letter of reference outlining that she is taking a holiday (limited duration) and she will return to her job. 

Other options may be to make a holiday booking in an alternative Schengen country and apply there (i.e. France). 

Does your Girlfriend have any recent international travel history? i.e. Japan, Singapore etc and returned, any EU countries? this all helps.

Unfortunately, there is no travel history.

It seems unfair to consider employment as a visa tactic when the Belgian boyfriend provides adequate support money for the girl and her child. 

If a subsequent application fails then I would probably suggest that on his next visit to Thailand they have a couple of days in Cambodia and a couple of days in Laos...

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, Donutz said:

Belgium is one of the more notorious embassies, with around 8% refusals it comes in second place after Sweden (11% refusals). A knowlagable service point (Kruispunt migratie) for  Belgian visas (and immigration) questions suggests that an appeal is pretty much useless (unlike say the Netherlands).

So it's best to apply again and try to show more reasons to return (job, education, care for parents or children etc). A positive visa/travel history to other western countries is also very beneficial. As does applying for a short stay of only a few weeks the first time one travels to Belgium. After all , how many people can leave their home for up to 3 months without obligations such as work getting in the way?

If your friend speaks a Dutch (Flamish), he can check out a lengthy  guide I wrote (PDF format) on visas to Belgium and the Netherlands on Thailandblog dot nl. 

like Donutz wrote about this skip the appeal that does not work. You have to proof that she has an economical binding to Thailand. A School/teacher letter if the child is at school stating that the mother is actively involved with the child. have some money in the bank on the account on her name.  Have a car registered on her name, some other assets. An employment letter with approved leave of her work for an unpaid month that is equal to her trip to visit Belgium. that makes it plausible that she will return and has a binding to Thailand. Ticket of a return Airplane flight

the document you have now provided only showed that she want to come and the changes are that she will stay.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 3:40 AM, richard_smith237 said:

I was once informed of the opposite.. That leaving a child with the grandparents implied she may go there to work and overstay. 

Sorry to hear of your friends problems, a bit baffled as I have applied, almost carelessly for 3 different women for many many schengen visas, the last 7 or 8 years annually.. Never has one been refused or questioned. I dont do anything special. 

18 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Sorry to hear of your friends problems, a bit baffled as I have applied, almost carelessly for 3 different women for many many schengen visas, the last 7 or 8 years annually.. Never has one been refused or questioned. I dont do anything special. 

But you don't live in Belgium, it's always more difficult when a national wants to bring a Thai person to an EU, UK or US country for a holiday, rather than two foreigners travelling together. 

On 2/20/2020 at 10:40 AM, richard_smith237 said:

red flag, to try any other country than the person is living in !

good luck

If there is some doubt. its not the Belgian embassy who will granted a Visa. But they send the file to Belgian immigration office (DVZ) in  Brussels. They make a through investigation.

Actually if her boyfriend signed a Guarantee for her it is difficult not to get a Schengen Visa,

unless the Thailady told the embassy she plans to work or marry in Belgium.

Belgium is not the only country this is happening with, Australia is doing the same thing because there are many who have been granted these visa's who do the wrong thing and abuse the laws of the visa that is granted to them.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2020 at 4:26 AM, Jip99 said:

The refusal letter cited not enough reasons to return to Thailand and (I think) insufficient funds for the trip.

The GF lives at home with her parents and daughter; she is financially supported by the Belgian. The dtro g family ties were highlighted and a character reference was provided by the village headman.

A Thai girl/lady would normally need to prove she has a job to return to, as she otherwise might stay in a Shengen country. Often proof on income in form of payment slips for 6 month, plus a bank account in own name with a fair amount of disposal money, is needed. It used to be 50k baht or more in the bank account, the minimum might be higher now.

Leaving a child behind is often "not enough reasons to return to Thailand". A child can legally be brought into Schengen later, which is also often the case.

Rules are supposed to be the same for all Schengen countries, however my experience is for Denmark.