American tourist suffers 12-inch chemical burn and oozing blisters after  henna tattoo in Bangkok

webfact

Tourist suffers 12-inch chemical burn and oozing blisters after £23 henna tattoo

Hospital staff in Bangkok, Thailand, treated violinist Amanda Drish-Adolf's chemical burn by popping the blisters and then scrubbing off the top of the fluid-filled bumps

By Helen Le Caplain

Kennedy-News-and-Media.jpg

Amanda Drish-Adolf gets the tops of her blisters scraped off in hospital 

A holidaymaker felt "claustrophobic" in her own skin after a £23 black henna tattoo in Thailand left her with a foot-long chemical burn and oozing blisters.

Amanda Drish-Adolf decided to get a large intricate design in Bangkok during an pre-children "bucket list" trip to with her husband Nick Adolf last month.

Violinist Amanda, 30, had a half-sleeve mandala-style design inked on her left arm - from the top of her shoulder down to her elbow.

Hours later, the black pigment flaked off and Amanda flaunted the dark design on her arm as she and IT programmer Nick, 30, explored the capital.

But two days later Amanda spotted she had developed a chemical burn on her arm that erupted in countless oozing blisters, leaving her needing hospital treatment.

Amanda was left with a 13in by 5in chemical burn that staff treated by popping the blisters and then scrubbing off the top of the fluid-filled bumps.

Full story: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/tourist-suffers-oozing-chemical-burn-21529267

-- Mirror 2020-02-20

11 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

In the land of fake......why would anyone have a tattoo procedure done here?

Scarred now for life because it was cheap.

Dude, are you aware henna is not a real tattoo?  It's just staining the skin like using a permanent marker.

Unfortunately, black henna mixtures contain ingredients which may be an irritant, as this person found out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

It always amazes me why anyone would destroy their own skin by having a tattoo. 
No I am not a fan and I find "clean skin" to be more beautiful. Still young people must have one , like some sort of fashion statement.   

Tattoos in Thailand are part of the cultural and religious heritage of the country. Many of the tattoo here are religious inscriptions thought to bring good luck and protection. So it shouldn't be too surprising that more regular tattoo have become part of fashion here. 

I personally think well done tattoos that have some thought behind them look good. However like yourself I also think that there are a lot of tattoos that look awful. But each to his own. 

On 2/20/2020 at 11:08 AM, Jennyau said:

That would be so painful. I had same experience with black henna in Egypt. She is going to be scarred for a long time. Took 12 months for it to disappear. 

Obviously, you didn't read the article and the necessary link.  She's not scarred.

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

she got her skin scraped off, pustules and blisters popped and lanced.  Very likely to leave some sort of mark

There was a photo of her now, she's not scarred for life.  If she had been, you can bet that she'd be whining about it as in the rest of the paid for article.

I find it interesting that you have now decided to add "pustules" to the description that are your own invention, they did not exist and also "lancing" that was not done, why would you do that?   Blisters were "popped", that's all, not very likely to leave any significant marks.

Edited by Just Weird

On 2/22/2020 at 1:47 AM, jonclark said:

Tattoos in Thailand are part of the cultural and religious heritage of the country. Many of the tattoo here are religious inscriptions thought to bring good luck and protection. So it shouldn't be too surprising that more regular tattoo have become part of fashion here. 

I personally think well done tattoos that have some thought behind them look good. However like yourself I also think that there are a lot of tattoos that look awful. But each to his own. 

Yet, if you date a Thai girl from a good family, their parents and relatives always comment "good, he has no tattoos", tattoos are for the labor class. Pretty same as in the West, where middle class people have significantly less tattoos than the labor class.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, somtumwrong said:

Yet, if you date a Thai girl from a good family, their parents and relatives always comment "good, he has no tattoos", tattoos are for the labor class. Pretty same as in the West, where middle class people have significantly less tattoos than the labor class.

Did you fall asleep, like 50 yrs ago and just now woke up. It's 2020 my friend.

• Like 1