BANGKOK
ubonjoe

Immigration Has Changed Their Regulation For A Change Of Address Report

Except, if I'm following your post right, the long list of exceptions you listed above do NOT apply to reporting to Immigration under section 2.1....  So that type of reporting still applies to everyone?

1432385140_2020-02-2011_53_50.jpg.197343208c19f614e1b471eb7337e284.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of situation section 2.1 is supposed to apply to, based on the way they've worded it -- a permanent relocation or temporary travel away from home?

But either way, Section 2.1 seems solely related to Immigration reporting, whereas the exceptions for 2.2 and 2.3 seem to only apply to reporting to actual police (as opposed to Immigration).

Is there supposed to be some meaningful improvement of the situation here for expats that I'm not catching?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

10 minutes ago, thegreatbw said:

It's not stated explicitly, but I'm assuming that this is amending the TM30 reporting requirement?  For example, I am in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant O visa, marriage extension.  If I travel to Chiang Mai for the weekend, I will not need to submit a TM30 form, is that correct?

TM 28 is used for Alien reporting address the TM 30 is for house owner to report alien staying at the address, so I am just guessing if I travel for short visit I not need to do anything but the owner where I travel still have to do a TM 30 report

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except, if I'm following your post right, the long list of exceptions you listed above do NOT apply to reporting to Immigration under section 2.1....  So that type of reporting still applies to everyone?

Yes it is for everybody.

I'm not sure what kind of situation section 2.1 is supposed to apply to...based on the way they've worded it?  Except, 2.1 seems solely related to Immigration reporting, whereas the exceptions for 2.2 and 2.3 seem to only apply to reporting to actual police (as opposed to Immigration).

Clause 2.1 is only to report a change to a previously reported address to immigration. It could be the address put on TM6 or a previous address report to them. Before the reporting for it was the police or immigration.

It seems that the intent is to eliminate the reporting under 2.2 and 2.3. Not sure who would have to do it now.

The old TM28 report that is not mentioned included that reporting and the police.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is for everybody.

Clause 2.1 is only to report a change to a previously reported address to immigration. It could be the address put on TM6 or a previous address report to them. Before the reporting for it was the police or immigration.

It seems that the intent is to eliminate the reporting under 2.2 and 2.3. Not sure who would have to do it now.

When I read the new TM27 form you linked above, it seems to pertain to actual relocation of address -- not temporary travel for tourism, etc...  So it's just replacing the prior TM28 relocation form, and taking the direct police reporting route out of the process, and substituting the new TM27 form only to Immigration.

But as you've said (as quoted below), none of that seems to pertain to the TM30 reporting requirements, and whether and how Immigration is or isn't enforcing those.

TM30 reporting is under section 38 of the immigration act so there is no change to that other than perhaps some immigration offices mixing up the 2 reports.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

When I read the new TM27 form you linked above, it seems to pertain to actual relocation of address -- not temporary travel for tourism, etc...  So it's just replacing the prior TM28 relocation form, and taking the direct police reporting route out of the process, and substituting the new TM27 form only to Immigration.

It is only needed for a permanent change of residence. Just traveling within the country does not require it.

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But as you've said (as quoted below), none of that seems to pertain to the TM30 reporting requirements, and whether and how Immigration is or isn't enforcing those.

Address reporting is under section 37 of the immigration act and is mentioned in the regulation.

The 30 reporting is under section 38.

This change might be a precursor to informing offices that are wanting a new TM30 form after trips within the country it is not required.

I think many offices have been mixing up the section 37 and section 38 requirements.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I guess it would be too much to hope that Thai Immigration would ever promulgate a clear, plainly worded regulation on any topic that could be easily and consistently interpreted and understood by Immigration and expats alike

They had some room to change the section 37 requirements to the point to where 2.2 and 2.3 could be almost eliminated. 

This from section 37. "The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General". Those are 2.2 and 2.3 in the regulation.

Section 34 has 14 reasons for a permission to stay that are the same as to 6.1 to 6.14 in the regulation. And it has this in it. "15. Other activities as prescribed in the Ministerial Regulations."  So under 15 they were able to add 6.15 to 6.22 to it which already existed in the police orders for extension of stay.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The change to 2.1 is that it only mentions reporting to immigration with no mention of doing it to the police.

This section is 37.2 in the old version of the law, this report was always directed at immigration police, never at regular police, no change here.

Source (page 5): http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2522/A/096/1.PDF

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The order also apparently eliminates the use of the TM28 form for the reporting. The regulation includes a new TM27 form titled.

This is wrong.

To do a report under 37.2 people used the TM27 form, directed at immigration police

To do a report under 37.3 and 4 people used the TM28 form, directed at regular police

No change here, has been like this since at least 1979, the TM27 form exists at least since then. Some immigration offices just didn't understand the law, let's see if they will understand it now.

Source: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2522/A/096/1.PDF

So to sum it up:

Most of what was written in OP is wrong, the only change is that retirees, spouses of Thais and some others are now officially exempt from TM28 (for example tourists, non-b holders and many others have always been exempt).

You should correct your first post, because many people here blindly believe what you say and this might cause confusion.

Edited by jackdd
  • Thanks 1