Would you buy a Chevy? Dealers swamped after 500,000 baht discount offered

webfact

Would you buy a Chevy? Dealers swamped after 500,000 baht discount offered

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thai social media was abuzz with comments after news came that Chevrolet were offering huge discounts on their vehicles.

General Motors are winding up their interests in Thailand and laying off 1,500 staff.

Many people want to take advantage of the discounts but others are skeptical about service after purchase.

Daily News said that the company was offering guarantees and that customers would not be abandoned.

They went to a Chevy dealership in Sri Racha and found it packed out.

High up on the wishlist of customers reserving cars was the Captiva.

Phuwanat Jemsri, 33, said he rushed to the showroom after he heard that he could get half a million baht off.

He wanted a Captiva for his mother and said he could get it for 609,000 reduced from 1,099,000.

If she got 5-6 years use out of it that would be great at that price, he said.

Others suggested that they would still be able to get spare parts and service elsewhere even if Chevy closed down all their service centers.

Elsewhere online people were less convinced it was such a good idea, notes Thaivisa.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

lets see where all the factory internals (machinery and Presses etc) end up?

like consider 25 years ago when in Malaysia the then new 'Prpton' name emerged

- and the outcome was the Proton Saga

- which repurposed the by then stale Mitsubishi past model Lancer family vehicles... 

wholesale re-badging... 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Others suggested that they would still be able to get spare parts and service elsewhere even if Chevy closed down all their service centers.

No  plans at all to close them this  part is  not  sold off at  all, opening more service centres I read a  while  back.

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

Chevys are heaps of rubbish . 

I've owned Chevys for most of my life. They've all been very nice cars. But, all but my current Chevy Truck were made in the USA. However, I've owned this truck for about five years and had not problems whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gunderhill said:

So  how  many have you actually driven/ owned?

I've owned six Chevys throughout my life. I have one now here in Thailand, a truck. They've all been very good vehicles, and I've never had any problems with them.

I have no idea how many I've driven besides these. I guess you mean rent-a-cars or a friend's car.

• Like 1

I owned a Chevy Blazer in the US for 1986 to 1988. What a piece of junk. Never bought anything from GM since, I am proud to say. 

The discounts are up to 500K, no one will actually get 500K off the price....think more like 50K to 100K and you will have no servicing options and no spare parts....don't rely on the salesmen from the company trying to sell you the car, they will be long gone.....and why should Great Wall service and warranty your car? I suppose for trucks it is not so bad as the Isuzu is the same truck.

Edited by Pedrogaz

In Australia, the Captiva is a most unloved vehicle, called 'Craptiva' by most people who were foolish enough to buy one (sold as a Holden, but from the same factories).

Holden in Australia/NZ, a brand that had 50% of the Australian new vehicle market in the 1960s, is being closed down simply because after decades of GM mismanagement no-one would be foolish enough to buy it.  It has zero value, or worse. 

The Thai factories have apparently been sold to Great Wall Motors of China. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I owned a Chevy Blazer in the US for 1986 to 1988. What a piece of junk. Never bought anything from GM since, I am proud to say. 

The discounts are up to 500K, no one will actually get 500K off the price....think more like 50K to 100K and you will have no servicing options and no spare parts....don't rely on the salesmen from the company trying to sell you the car, they will be long gone.....and why should Great Wall service and warranty your car? I suppose for trucks it is not so bad as the Isuzu is the same truck.

What a  load of  old  tosh, many have gotten Captivas at 500k +7% vat, also the servicing and parts  will still be available for years to come, GREAT  WALL is  nothing to do with Chevrolet in any way except buying their plant facility, they will not be servicing manufacturing anything to do with Chevrolet so why you mention that Ive no idea.

Prices for some models already revealed ie High Country 2wd auto Colorado reduced from 998k to 775k +Vat7% =820k, warranty 3  years 100k km, ISUZU is NOT the same truck and hasn't been for  at least 4  years, totally  different engines  interiors/body panels, you've got  just about everything you said wrong.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tifino said:

lets see where all the factory internals (machinery and Presses etc) end up?

like consider 25 years ago when in Malaysia the then new 'Prpton' name emerged

- and the outcome was the Proton Saga

- which repurposed the by then stale Mitsubishi past model Lancer family vehicles... 

wholesale re-badging... 

Which led to:

"Proton produced its first indigenously designed (though Mitsubishi-engined), non-badge engineered car in the year 2000, and elevated Malaysia as the 11th country in the world with the capability to design cars from the ground up"

It will not have escaped your notice that Thailand has failed to do such a thing.

Thailand has no indigenously designed/manufactured "technology" with a world "name".

Red Bulls world placing is the work of an Austrian.

Thai "entrepreneurship" is confined to thinking up grandiose images of itself and selling its workforce to other countries.

The Thai people have been utterly misdirected and betrayed, by their "leadership", for decades.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Which led to:

"Proton produced its first indigenously designed (though Mitsubishi-engined), non-badge engineered car in the year 2000, and elevated Malaysia as the 11th country in the world with the capability to design cars from the ground up"

It will not have escaped your notice that Thailand has failed to do such a thing.

Thailand has no indigenously designed/manufactured "technology" with a world "name".

Red Bulls world placing is the work of an Austrian.

Thai "entrepreneurship" is confined to thinking up grandiose images of itself and selling its workforce to other countries.

The Thai people have been utterly misdirected and betrayed, by their "leadership", for decades.

the way Proton did it was to test run the rebadging; with the Saga, and later the Wira 

- both taken from the Mitsubishi platforms 

Eventually as you have said in 2000, they entered the big world, by doing it all themselves... 

albeit Lotus Engines and some other details borrowed from elsewhere...

In Thailand, the domestic attempts, are songteaws and image.jpeg.92157f6982ffc3c6610a040f71e945c2.jpeg

- mirroring the already tried concept from the Phillipines - the Jeepny image.jpeg.7c883d5460b0760932b02da8bdf73de0.jpeg 

Thailand has a long way to go...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Phuwanat Jemsri, 33, said he rushed to the showroom after he heard that he could get half a million baht off.

He wanted a Captiva for his mother and said he could get it for 609,000 reduced from 1,099,000.

More debt on the way!

4 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Chevys are heaps of rubbish . 

Chevy in the states has the reputation of being much more reliable than any other brand. That’s also one of he reasons why their engines are so popular in the muscle car scene.

I can’t speak for the cars they make/made in Thailand, though.

• Like 1