BANGKOK
URMySunshine

Alcohol Value for Money Calculations and wholesale prices

I'm considering moving from beer (Heineken when cashed up Leo when I'm saving ) to a Hong Thong , ice and soda brew. As I find the flavour ok and no hangovers seemingly if I don't go overboard on it. Very interested in doing a cost benefit analysis % alcohol wise.  So in order to make up my mind I've done a quick what would be the cost of making up a 5% HT/soda mix compared to the relative cost of beer. 

My calculations 

Hong Thong 35% 700ml 249 baht.

To dilute to 5% (7 fold) requires 4.9 liters of soda (at 325mls bottles at 8 baht = 15 * 8 = 120 baht ). 

So we have from 1 bottle of Hong Thong diluted to 5 % (normal beer strength) is 369 baht for 5.6 litres of grog or 15.2 mls per baht 

Beer equivalence (Heineken 620 mls bottles for 60 baht = 10.3 mls per baht. 

So my surprising conclusion (I had thought it would be much cheaper) is that Hong Thong is about 50% cheaper shot for shot when compared to Heineken. I should add I drink 2 large bottles of beer a night which I should no doubt cut down and don't drink till after 6pm ! Though the fact I am writing this might be a warning sign to give up !

Also interested in feedback for what are the best wholesale prices for any brews that you know of when buying by the case. 

4 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Red Cock 40% 700ml 151baht.  :thumbsup:

I have seen that on the shelves and laughed at the name I thought that was what you got if you spent too long in Pattaya.  But using that would mean i had dropped into the Lao Khao sea of despair not ready for that yet ! Nice move on the 40% though got a feeling HT has been defanged from 40% rather like Chang was back the old days of 6.2%.

Is it a clean spirit though and what is its hangover potential ? I'm a gin person back in the UK. 

Edited by URMySunshine

1 minute ago, URMySunshine said:

I have seen that on the shelves and laughed at the name - but using that would mean i had dropped into the Lao Khao sea of despair....

Is it a clean spirit though and what is its hangover potential ? I'm a gin person back in the UK. 

It says 'white spirit' on the label. It's not anyhing like Lao Khao, more like a vodka thing. No hangovers, recommended.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

It says 'white spirit' on the label. It's not anyhing like Lao Khao, more like a vodka thing. No hangovers, recommended.

Sounds like a good recommendation - what do you mix it with ?

4 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Sounds like a good recommendation - what do you mix it with ?

Lemon juice and plain water+ ice.

23 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Methylated spirits and milk? Apparently Street alcoholics go for sherry. Best bang for your buck. 

Sherry would be off the scale here given the crippling import tax and meths would be fatal unless you got rubbing alcohol and put it through a few processes. I'm not that desperate. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

My go to drink is fake Bailey's Irish Cream made with Hong Thong.

Spoonful of Red Label coffee, 2 spoons Nescafe drinking chocolate, add hot water, 60ml of Carnation sweetened condensed milk, 70mk of Hong Thong, few ice cubes and wizz in the blender until frothy.

Serve poured over ice cubes.

Top marks for that one but I'll leave that to you not being a fan of the real Baileys ! Should have bought some Gin botanicals with me this time and steeped a few litres of Red Cock with them in old gin bottles. Could make for a nice tipple coming back next year. 

Image result for gin botanicals lidl

21 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I have seen that on the shelves and laughed at the name I thought that was what you got if you spent too long in Pattaya.  But using that would mean i had dropped into the Lao Khao sea of despair not ready for that yet ! Nice move on the 40% though got a feeling HT has been defanged from 40% rather like Chang was back the old days of 6.2%.

There is also a stalemate called Black Cock. ...

1 minute ago, Andycoops said:

There is also a stalemate called Black Cock. ...

Shh that got the thread shutdown on my link in post 5 above. Talking about cocks..... Sangsom had a fairly racy poster many moons ago. That has been on my list of hangover loony juice i.e. a coloured spirit until I was disabused of that theory in the case of Hong Thong / soad many moons ago at a party in Phatthalung. 

Image result for "red cock" thailand

• Haha 1