BANGKOK
BuyHouseBowin

Rent House VS Buy Leasehold - You pay upfront for the rent and can be sure to stay there 30 years ?

hello,

I am trying to know more about some leasehold houses to "buy".

What is the reason for anyone to pay for lease upfront when they will never be the owner of the house ?

It seems that lease are cheaper, but for 1 million more you can often buy a house somewhere else.

Apart from staying in the property 30 years, is there any other advantage of leasehold ?

I found some villages where it is not possible to really buy a house, only leasehold is possible, can you explain me why ?

Leasehold means paying in advance the rent for the 30 next years, then we have to pay again after 30 years ? is it correct ?

I am new to this concept so maybe I did not understand well, please help me !

Thanks a lot.

You cannot buy land a house is on if you are an alien..

The UK has freehold or leasehold properties, much the same thing..

Renting is money gone..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can rent for 30 years but it needs to have a title whereby the lease can be registered with the land department. you can get an option to extend, but even registered it is hard to enforce. I know of 2 people who lease, one is house and land. The other is just the land and he built his own modest house on it. In either case they did not pay the 30 years upfront, one pays an amount monthly and the other pays yearly. You would need to get the lease drawn up by a lawyer because this agreement needs to be binding for heirs and successors as well.

Not my business but in my opinion there are better ways of securing a home.

• Like 1

Only thing I see for a single person is if you rent you can move around.

Don't see the point of leasehold unless you intend to stay. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Thais buy plenty of 2nd hand property, providing it is priced correctly, bit of an old wives tale that one...everybody "prefers" new versus old  Thai or otherwise.

In that case You need to discount price 40-50%.Thais need in 99% bank finance and now according a new law it is very difficult to get mortgage .Banks will not finance old property.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

Differing opinions. I think it’s foolish to buy anything in Thailand since renting is so cheap and you can move in an instant. You never know how the government will change and you might have to get out fast. We don’t live here. We’re merely guests.

Too true, whatever you buy now will undoutedly be 30% less in few years time...empty houses all over the place,farang seller will bite your hand off with lowest offer thats more of an insult

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is a life style choice get over it and enjoy your life I have been in my house for over 6+ years and love it has a 30 year lease on my partners land registered with the government office. Most of the moaners saying rent is the way to go. Probably could not afford to buy a S==h==i== t    H   o   u    s    e     to live in any how.   Each to there own

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

So first you say you cannot buy land, then you say you paid for the land and the house where you live.

Which is it - 5555

Peace

I am married to someone who can, chummy....😘

• Like 2

Knowing more than a few,all regret buying,but the absurdity of it, a buyer few years ago gave up on the selling front now rents,left the house to rot

Edited by izod10
  • Like 1