Coronavirus is worse than the tsunami - and the state is downplaying the impact, claim tourism operators

webfact

17 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

The slowdown began well before the Corona. Thailand is simply not that interesting anymore, with the high Bath and increasingly hostile immigration, the spiral will continue down even after the Corona issue is gone.

Not to mention the abhorrent air quality conditions! A constant and stunning reminder of total and complete incompetence of the current regime since taking power. 

Edited by mickey rat

Thailand needs to follow suit with many other countries to ban China tourists. Catering to China, is going to turn everyone away. Looks like Thailand is wide open for Chinese still...even discounting visas. Need to walk cautiously to give confidence to other tourist virus safety. 

Just now, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

are you suggesting the thai should start offering educational and financial services to the chinese?

No. Just reminding people that 'exports' is not just things shipped from Thailand to some other country. 'Exports' includes services provided in Thailand to anyone who pays for them with non-Baht currency.

Just now, bert bloggs said:

Talking to my friends and relatives in the UK ,yes the Virus is indeed the cherry on the cake ,Thailand is not doomed ,but it does seem to have slipped way down the scale of places to visit ,

I agree. The welcome mat open for Chinese is very attractive to the rest of the world to make Thailand a destination. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James26 said:

There is no going back to normal. A new normal is on the way and IMO, it entails much lower tourism revenues for years to come. Thailand must diversify and it starts with EDUCATION and discarding old traditions that are counterproductive to growth. It's possible to preserve culture without holding on to things that don't work.

generalised unsubstantiated statements. where is the evidence to support long term downturns in tourism/economy to any country following previous virus outbreaks? where is evidence to support any of your statements?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

and the state is downplaying the impact, claim tourism operators

but the 'i want it all, i want it now' syndrome means the operators 'want' thje downp[laying to continue for as along as possib;le...

5 minutes ago, Nathan N said:

Thailand needs to follow suit with many other countries to ban China tourists. Catering to China, is going to turn everyone away. Looks like Thailand is wide open for Chinese still...even discounting visas. Need to walk cautiously to give confidence to other tourist virus safety. 

i still feel it is better to diversify rather than become dependent on a particular country. in times of need, tourists will still keep on coming from other sources.

It seems as though this virus came at the right time for the powers that be, a very handy scapegoat, otherwise they'd have to blame themselves for destroying tourism in Thailand by the insane immigration restrictions........  I'm one of those that can remember Thailand when it was packed out with tourists, mostly westerners and mostly travelers and back packers.......... But that was in the day when immigration just waved you through without todays gestapo interview.......  It's changing though, i think the penny's finally dropped .........  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabbi said:

I hope the government do nothing to assist them, other than sorting out the immigration hate on farangs, and stop bringing in stupid regulations that penalise guesthouses that cater to farangs.

Agree - Leave them to their own devices, as they did when they were making a killing!!

rabbi there are some times when some form of help is necessary.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, madmitch said:

Some people have short memories.

I can only refer to Phuket and the south but tourism was decimated after the tsunami and the beaches were empty.

In 2020, despite coronavirus, Phuket's beaches are still packed.

A minor blip in comparison!

Agree a bit.  The south was dead for a year after the Tsunami BUT bangkok, pattaya,CM were ok.

Packed beaches here now? not exactly true, busy, but far from packed and the roads seem empty of the tour bus's and hundreds of mini vans

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johnarth said:

what I do not understand is the Thai baht has jumped straight back to where is was before this <deleted> started, do not tell me they are at hight ,booked out hotels etc. already,

The US Dollar increased in value, it's now near 100%, THB is soft linked to the value of the Dollar.

https://www.investing.com/currencies/us-dollar-index

2 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Politely disagree.  THB/USD is right now at 31.66/1.  

At the beginning of January it was 29.8/1.  

In the language of currency markets, that's a huge drop in a short amount of time.

I suspect that poster is referring to the GBP/THB exchange rate.

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

Tourism was going down before this happened in Phuket last low season was not good and so far this next one is looking bad right now

It depends on whether you think Phuket is representative and whether you think TAT's tourist numbers are false.