Pattaya: US pensioner killed after collision with tree in central reservation - microsleep blamed

webfact

Pattaya: US pensioner killed after collision with tree in central reservation - microsleep blamed

11pm.jpg

Picture: Banmuang

Na Jomtien police were called after a Mitsubishi Triton with Bangkok plates slammed into a frangipani tree in the central reservation of Sukhumvit Road (KM 158) yesterday around lunchtime.

The site of the accident is the main road between Pattaya and Sattahip.

Slumped behind the wheel unconscious but still breathing was 74 year old American Ronald Ma Silvestro.

Ban Muang reported that the portly man was given first aid and CPR at the scene then taken to Wat Yansangwararam hospital.

Despite the best efforts of doctors he later succumbed to his injuries and died.

Pol Capt Pongsawat Momongkhun of the Na Jomtien constabulary said that witnesses saw the vehicle veer into and mount the central reservation before hitting the tree.

He suspects that a microsleep or what the Thais call "lap nai" was to blame.

Source: Banmuang

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-20

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

The kerb to the central reservation where the trees are is quite high so not sure how the truck could have jumped it into the tree.

I said to my wife because of the CPR going on that it looked like he had a stroke or heart attack rather than falling sleep.

RIP mr Ronald.

Many elderly farangs die in Pattaya this month. Belgium, German, UK and this USA man.

C56345C8-23B1-4E8E-85DF-22D4EEB7DC1A.jpeg

0B52E0C2-3B2D-4D99-A7C7-00908BCE5E95.jpeg

D1525771-1752-4F4F-BC07-DC5768AA75D5.jpeg

C1E78ED3-26EE-495F-BF9A-6F880EA4279D.jpeg

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

heart attack, stroke...

not much damage to the truck.

RIP.

agree, the damage does not indicate he died due to the impact unless he wasn't wearing his seatbelt but even then it is still hard to believe - it matters not a jot at the end of the day 

RIP

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Why suspect anything, when he hasn't got a <deleted> clue ?

Best say nothing, and wait for the expert's opinion.

R.I.P.

Could be anything, a minor stroke or cardiac issue, why say anything. 

Just an opportunity to say something in vogue!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

heart attack, stroke...

not much damage to the truck.

RIP.

I would agree that is very possible.  I have read that the aorta actually bursts quite often in these type of head on rapid deceleration type of accidents, especially in older folks due to the arterial wall being weak.  Aorta bursts, internally the person bleeds out

34 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I would agree that is very possible.  I have read that the aorta actually bursts quite often in these type of head on rapid deceleration type of accidents, especially in older folks due to the arterial wall being weak.  Aorta bursts, internally the person bleeds out

Or an aneurysm.  Quite common, can happen in various parts of the body. A few years back, I had an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  It got to be 6.5 cm in diameter.  Had it burst, I would have had only a few minutes to live.  I now have a "zipper belly" scar that goes from nipples to nads.  I had no symptoms.  It ran in the family and a precautionary test showed it.  Pop!

image.png.eee68dbfee1760ae809969bc2f02bf16.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Why suspect anything, when he hasn't got a <deleted> clue ?

Best say nothing, and wait for the expert's opinion.

R.I.P.

To preempt all the speculation by our DSI: TVF experts and give them something to disagree with?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Yeah, right.  Based on what evidence?

Based on circumstancial evidence.

Recent relationship breakdown.  Financial stress.  Health issues.  Depression.

Why go out with an obvious suicide, leaving your next of kin nothing, when you can line up a pole or a tree and leave them a big payout.

Do you think it doesn't happen?   

On 2/20/2020 at 10:30 PM, smedly said:

agree, the damage does not indicate he died due to the impact unless he wasn't wearing his seatbelt but even then it is still hard to believe - it matters not a jot at the end of the day 

RIP

what about an airbag inflating ??? did this work ??

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 1:04 AM, Rimmer said:

Happened in Ban Ampur. We passed by this sad accident about three minutes after it happened, there was a Navy guy giving CPR to him.

The road at this point is just after the traffic lights on the southbound carriageway, traffic moves quite slowly through it and not the kind of place where one would fall asleep as three lanes of slow moving traffic and a U Turn further down.

The kerb to the central reservation where the trees are is quite high so not sure how the truck could have jumped it into the tree.

I said to my wife because of the CPR going on that it looked like he had a stroke or heart attack rather than falling sleep.

Hello, that is my father. I just discovered earlier this afternoon from another article that he passed away. I emailed him 4 days ago and when he did not respond, I felt compelled to look him up online...Would someone mind advising me on how to navigate the process of...verifying the death of a family member in Thailand? I tried calling his wife and it was difficult to communicate with her as my Thai is broken. I tried calling her a second time but she did not pick up the phone or respond to my text messages. I do not know if he was buried or cremated and where. Thank you. I can't tell you how grieved I am to discover his passing this way.