Archives Gone.

NoshowJones

I once found all my messages and address book gone on yahoo mail.  This was many moons ago (well over ten years).  When I started getting spam messages supposedly sent from addresses that had been in my address book I knew I had been hacked.  Also people told me they were getting spam purportedly from me.  Have kept away from yahoo mail since.  I figured the hack was via a public internet cafe, in Brazil.

4 hours ago, bendejo said:

I once found all my messages and address book gone on yahoo mail.  This was many moons ago (well over ten years).  When I started getting spam messages supposedly sent from addresses that had been in my address book I knew I had been hacked.  Also people told me they were getting spam purportedly from me.  Have kept away from yahoo mail since.  I figured the hack was via a public internet cafe, in Brazil.

I have been with Yahoo as my second email address for more than 15 years and never had a problem, but with Hotmail, my archives disappear every so often, so I transfer the really important ones to my Yahoo archives. I have never had any problem with hacking to my knowledge.

I think Hotmail has a lot to answer for.

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I think Hotmail has a lot to answer for.

I remember replying to you before on this. There must be some setting that causes this too happen. I never use archives and have everything set up in folders and I don't appear to have ever lost any messages (cross fingers).

I only have one idea to check -

Can you go to Settings (the cog) - Email - Sync. Under POP and IMAC, Let devices use POP make sure the setting is set to NO. If set to YES my understanding is it means you download to the device and the server does not retail a copy.

Next I would go to Microsoft support and the Outlook forum and ask the question. You never know they may be able to get your mails back for you.......https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

Perhaps there is a specific issue with Archives that someone can fill you in on.

last suggestion would be to use Thunderbird or other similar mail program to regularly download and keep a copy of all your mails - and you can still carry on using web mail as well.

12 hours ago, topt said:

I remember replying to you before on this. There must be some setting that causes this too happen. I never use archives and have everything set up in folders and I don't appear to have ever lost any messages (cross fingers).

I only have one idea to check -

Can you go to Settings (the cog) - Email - Sync. Under POP and IMAC, Let devices use POP make sure the setting is set to NO. If set to YES my understanding is it means you download to the device and the server does not retail a copy.

Next I would go to Microsoft support and the Outlook forum and ask the question. You never know they may be able to get your mails back for you.......https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&isFilterExpanded=false&page=1

Perhaps there is a specific issue with Archives that someone can fill you in on.

last suggestion would be to use Thunderbird or other similar mail program to regularly download and keep a copy of all your mails - and you can still carry on using web mail as well.

Thanks, I will go through this and see what I can do, I will try the folders.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:55 PM, possum1931 said:

I tried Thunderbird and found it very unreliable.

I use MS Office Outlook 2019 to save all my emails to my PC. Used to loose archives before in hotmail and more recently Yahoo when relying on those service to keep them for me. Never again since the past 20 years. Outlook solved it for me.

• Like 1