Immigration now require incoming Boarding Pass

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Have another read of OP. It's about flying into Thailand airport and io asking to see your boarding pass. At passport control.

And yes often asked for.

Define "often". Like others in this thread I've never been asked for it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

I sure that a wise, smart and handsome man like you understands that the point here was not specifically on the boarding pass but on a whole,  with all the hassles added up....????....the boarding pass was just another new hassle that adds it all up. If you feel however that the procedures of immigration are easy going in Thailand, ....well...good for you....cherio !

It ain't new. I have been asked for boarding pass for years. As I stated earlier not just Thailand but also Vietnam. The latter more often. Swampy very less often but have been asked. I fly every other week. Over this thread now.

IO CAN ask for boarding pass for incoming flight and often do. And have done for sometime. Nothing new here. Hells bells

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It ain't new. I have been asked for boarding pass for years. As I stated earlier not just Thailand but also Vietnam. The latter more often. Swampy very less often but have been asked. I fly every other week. Over this thread now.

IO CAN ask for boarding pass for incoming flight and often do. And have done for sometime. Nothing new here. Hells bells

Never have been asked since the last 10 years at least at Swampy. But maybe you should try the VIP fast track at Swampy...no such requirements....until now perhaps?

Edited by observer90210
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Define "often". Like others in this thread I've never been asked for it.

I fly I to Thailand 20+ times per year. Always have my boarding pass on the ready. Seems like a game. If I dont put it on counter with passport and arrival card then they ask for it. When I place side by side they sometimes push it back like a bad smell. 

As stated earlier this can also occur Vietnam where I fly every 2 or 3 weeks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Never have been asked since the last 10 years at least at Swampy. But maybe you should try the VIP fast track at Swampy...no such requirements....until now perhaps

Thought about it but prefer fly coach and spend money on more relevant stuff to my lifestyle. Booze and ****.

Flew into swampy Monday and noticed the express line entry. Tempting. BTW any expats thinking about a break, now is time to fly. I was DMK last Friday and BKK Monday. Both airports very quiet. Zero que passport control. Plane less than half full.

Wednesday bkk to Phuket even domestic very quiet.

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Neither have I. I’ve also never been asked to show 20,000 baht, I’ve never been asked if I’m working in Thailand or what my purpose is here. 

I’ve never been checked by customs in Bangkok, never had my booze limit checked etc... 

But, these are still requirements - the boarding pass one is new to me, but may be an existing requirement that few IO’s bother with. 

I've often been asked to show the boarding pass on the OUTBOUND trips -- by security to get into the screening and Immigration areas... And I think sometimes by Immigration there as well.

But on the way back coming into Thailand, only the passport and completed TM departure card.  And I've made enough international trips lately and in recent years, that if they were doing it regularly, I should have been hit up at some point in time.

• Like 1

First time I was asked for it was last year either the June or Sept entry can't remember . Not asked in Dec I think handed it with the passport in Jan.

There are stickers on the Desk / booth Glass window asking for it, top left corner.

(all my flight numbers are always on the TM6 cards)

Edited by UKresonant

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But on the way back coming into Thailand, only the passport and completed TM departure card.  And I've made enough international trips lately and in recent years, that if they were doing it regularly, I should have been hit up at some point in time.

Usually, I think the Advance Passenger Information Service (the link between the airlines and immigration) provides this information. If the official asks for the boarding pass, it may well be because there has been a snafu in the system, and your passport is not automatically linked with an incoming flight.

Years go, it was absolutely routine for Thai immigration to compare your boarding pass with the immigration form and customs declaration. I am rarely asked for it these days.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This has always been a requirement. I vaguely recall seeing a signage related to this at Don Muang - when Suvarnabhumi didn't even exist.

This is 1000% not a new thing.

Your absolutely correct.

The IO writes your flight number above your entry stamp, or at least they have each time I've entered.

I think it depends if a number of flights have landed within minutes of each other so they don't know which flight you were on.

• Like 1

I was asked for a boarding pass once as we were deplaning on the jetway. This was in Pakistan though. I thought it was quite ridiculous that they wanted to see what plane I was on while I was in the process of leaving the plane. To make it worse, I didn't know what I had done with it. So I got into an argument with the security guy.

My friends told me to cool it and the guy let me go after a while.

42 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This has always been a requirement. I vaguely recall seeing a signage related to this at Don Muang - when Suvarnabhumi didn't even exist.

This is 1000% not a new thing.

That's my recollection too. 

I usually put it in my passport with the arrivals card. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do you know anyone who has been refused entry because of not showing their guarding pass? I don't.

Nope.But for zero effort one can avoid having a boring discussion with an immigration officer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Nope.But for zero effort one can avoid having a boring discussion with an immigration officer

Good reply.

I already posted that no one would every be denied entry for not having boarding pass. Don't know how many I have seen left in seats on planes. 

Fact is it's simple process to keep it on you. Then all the expert frequent flyers state they have never been asked. Yippi.

I get asked on enough occasions to recommend "keep it in pocket" . Is that hard 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I usually hang on to boarding pass, at least until I have my bags, as it got reference numbers for your cargo baggage.

Never had immigration ask for it

I’ve noticed many countries tend to stick the bag receipts to the back of my passport nowadays, especially in the more modern countries that encourage e-boarding passes on your smartphone (rather than paper ones).

59 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good reply.

I already posted that no one would every be denied entry for not having boarding pass. Don't know how many I have seen left in seats on planes. 

Fact is it's simple process to keep it on you. Then all the expert frequent flyers state they have never been asked. Yippi.

I get asked on enough occasions to recommend "keep it in pocket" . Is that hard 

Yes it’s a “simple process” to keep it on you for those of us who now know of this silly rule. But how about the millions of first time European tourists who left the boarding pass on the plane and are then welcomed to Thailand by a rude IO. First impressions last. 

• Like 1

Thailand. As far as I'm aware no other country in the world requires your boarding pass when entering, at least no other country I travel to.

i flew into india a couple of years ago a this was a requirement.

it's no hassle really, is it? though it would be helpful if the airline reminded passengers to hold onto their boarding pass, or better still immigration add that requirement to the arrival form.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I think you are on to something.There should be a mass display of disobedience in which we all leave our boarding passes on the plane.Then we can all have a long interesting discussion with the Immigration Officers in the early hours of the morning in which our central point will be that we have left the passes on the plane.Sooner or later they will get <deleted> off and concede we don't need to produce the passes at all (or possibly start insisting on having them produced - though we don't think that will happen.) Obviously they ought to understand that it is we not Thai Immigration that decides what documents we should show or not show.Anyway I'm game - let battle commence.

And to think there are fuddy duddies who think it makes sense just to quietly bring their boarding passes with the other documents.

My point flew over your head... few people read Thaivisa and don't think about keeping their boarding passes. As you say, only the odd fuddy duddy that read about it on Thai visa might hang onto it.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Sure it did.

I would think most people whether they read Thai Visa or not hang on to their boarding passes.The point is that it takes no effort.

A “boarding pass” is by definition something you need to “board” the plane at the point of embarkation.  It has absolutely nothing to do with disembarking or immigration on arrival, unless happen to arrive in Thailand. And to those of you who say this has been happening for years, I say to you I have been flying in and out of BKK once or twice a month for the last 20+ years and I’ve never been asked to produce my boarding pass. This is lazy, incompetent, unnecessary and ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2