Immigration now require incoming Boarding Pass

2 minutes ago, Lazy Sod said:

A “boarding pass” is by definition something you need to “board” the plane at the point of embarkation.  It has absolutely nothing to do with disembarking or immigration on arrival, unless happen to arrive in Thailand. And to those of you who say this has been happening for years, I say to you I have been flying in and out of BKK once or twice a month for the last 20+ years and I’ve never been asked to produce my boarding pass. This is lazy, incompetent, unnecessary and ridiculous. 

Rubbish. Read all the posts above. I get asked regularly. Once asked at Singapore. Many times DMK. Many times Saigon airport. 

Post fact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nightfox said:

Nothing new, Singapore immigration always asked me to see a boarding pass upon entry. They have a sign right above the Thai immigration booth going back 15 years to have your boarding pass on hand but they never enforced it till now.

Sorry but this is incorrect. I fly to Singapore regularly and have never been asked for the boarding pass when entering. Perhaps you are mixing it up with the Immigration Form, or perhaps you didn’t write the flight number on the form, or perhaps you are confusing going out to going in. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Rubbish. Read all the posts above. I get asked regularly. Once asked at Singapore. Many times DMK. Many times Saigon airport. 

Post fact.

Rubbish? Read the posts above. Many people saying they have never been asked for their boarding pass when entering Thailand. Oh, and you rate Saigon as the benchmark do you?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, myprivate said:

Agree they love to inconvenience tourists, but now they have a sign (one of those awful looking A4 printed black and white sheets of paper) on each immigration counter saying, "Please show your boarding pass". I saw that and thought, "here we go".

Were you by any chance going through a fast track immigration lane?

I heard they were asking to see them in the priority immigration commonly known as fast track to make sure you flew in on a business or first class ticket....

Edited by ukrules

4 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Never have been asked since the last 10 years at least at Swampy. But maybe you should try the VIP fast track at Swampy...no such requirements....until now perhaps?

Boarding Pass is definitely required for Fast Track now since the removal of the Fast Track passes.  For the regular immigration lines I would previously have described it as random, but noticed new signs up last month saying it should be made available so probably more frequent now.

4 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Quite right. Utterly ridiculous indeed despicable.That's why I have suggested a rebellion - see earlier post.We should defend this point of honour (not having to show boarding passes) with all necessary measures.To arms, fellow citizens.

The alternative is of course just to stick the boarding pass with other travel documents, but for the righteous that may be a bridge too far.

The point is that tourism here is in serious trouble but immigration have no idea how something so seemingly small can stick in people’s minds as their first (bad) experience of Thailand. Many law abiding Europeans would panic when confronted with an immigration officer who is seemingly refusing entry due to leaving your boarding pass on the plane. I’m talking about first time visitors with families, the type of tourist they claim to want  

59 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

never been asked for my boarding pass at dm, swampy or Phuket immigration in my 34 years living here

Talk about floping it out. I have lived here 134 years. 

In the last 2 years I have been asked many times to produce boarding pass. But hey I only fly every week. Surely a guy living here 34 year can give better advice. Doubt it. Why post nonsense.

Fact is folk keep your boarding pass. Despite what folk with rubbish 34 year recommend.

Edited by DrJack54

28 minutes ago, Lazy Sod said:

Rubbish? Read the posts above. Many people saying they have never been asked for their boarding pass when entering Thailand. Oh, and you rate Saigon as the benchmark do you?

Rubbish. I fly I to DMK maybe 20+ times per year. Asked for boarding pass maybe 30% of time. 

Any you? What is your experience. Back up with experience. Not just stab in the dark.

15 minutes ago, myprivate said:

The point is that tourism here is in serious trouble but immigration have no idea how something so seemingly small can stick in people’s minds as their first (bad) experience of Thailand. Many law abiding Europeans would panic when confronted with an immigration officer who is seemingly refusing entry due to leaving your boarding pass on the plane. I’m talking about first time visitors with families, the type of tourist they claim to want  

I don't think there's any question of entry being refused.

5 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I don't think there's any question of entry being refused.

Exactly. No one would be denied entry. 

It amounts to small mix up at pp control.

I have seen folk pull up on cell their flight. Even if could not, you would still be allowed entry. 

4 minutes ago, Lazy Sod said:

Not the point, ”seemingly” being refused is enough to leave a bad taste for some, especially with young kids in tow. 

Say what. This thread is about being asked for boarding pass. That's all. 

"Being refused" what's that mean. 

You making this up?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I don't think 'refusal' is on the agenda. Still there must be a solution to this problem that is so agonizing for us all.You will be happy to know I have come up with a 3 step approach which should grant relief to all of us.

Step 1

Take boarding pass from pocket and place it together with passport and landing card.

Step 2

Give said documents to Immigration Officer.

Step 3

Receive said documents back from Immigration Officer and move along sharpish

There.Sorted.

Excellent post. Funny thing is step 1. If you only place pp with arrival card then (sometimes) boarding pass asked for. If you place all 3 then boarding pass pushed back like ...why you put this.

I love em

16 hours ago, MikeN said:

They were asking for it last time I came into the country 2 years ago, so it’s not new.

Edit by Maestro: Deleted off topic comment.

I have been asked for it. I usually have it as the baggage receipt often gets stuck to it. 

• Like 1

I always keep my boarding pass until I get my checked in luggage back. When you have to make a claim for lost luggage this is the first thing you are asked for. Happened to me half a dozen of times, and I am not what one would call a "frequent traveller".

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

They want it before they even look at passport. Also nothing to do with current virus problem

actually it is to verify which country you travelled from - you could write anything on the TM6 and they would have to dig deep to verify

Is it virus relate - likely yes 

11 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't think 'refusal' is on the agenda. Still there must be a solution to this problem that is so agonizing for us all.You will be happy to know I have come up with a 3 step approach which should grant relief to all of us.

Step 1

Take boarding pass from pocket and place it together with passport and landing card.

Step 2

Give said documents to Immigration Officer.

Step 3

Receive said documents back from Immigration Officer and move along sharpish

There.Sorted.

Step 2.1   Check your stamp in the passport.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I sure that a wise, smart and handsome man like you understands that the point here was not specifically on the boarding pass but on a whole,  with all the hassles added up....????....the boarding pass was just another new hassle that adds it all up. If you feel however that the procedures of immigration are easy going in Thailand, ....well...good for you....cherio !

Dear God....where is the hassle in handing over a passport, TM6 and boarding pass in one go? Such an effort to do. It cannot get much easier than that. Mountains out of molehills.

By the way its not a new requirement, at least a couple of years old in my experience. Good to keep your boarding pass if travelling business class as proof to use the fast track lane as some airlines no longer hand out the priority card. As a previous poster pointed out the boarding pass also has you baggage tags attached which may come in handy one day when your bags don't turn up on the carousel.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've often been asked to show the boarding pass on the OUTBOUND trips -- by security to get into the screening and Immigration areas... And I think sometimes by Immigration there as well.

But on the way back coming into Thailand, only the passport and completed TM departure card.  And I've made enough international trips lately and in recent years, that if they were doing it regularly, I should have been hit up at some point in time.

They ALWAYS want to see both passport and boarding pass before entry to security screening.

18 hours ago, myprivate said:

Wouldn't it be great if somebody invented a computer that could share data with another computer, it could link passenger manifests and immigration records, and then it wouldn't be necessary to hand write all this information on dead trees.

OMG ( I understand this is the current Snowflake vernacular) are you absolutely shattered by this experience? We can arrange counselling or a Group Hug if necessary. The horror of it all.

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Talk about floping it out. I have lived here 134years. 

In the last 2 years I have been asked many times to produce boarding pass. But hey I only fly every week. Surely a guy living here 34 year can give better advice. Doubt it. Why post nonsense.

Fact is folk keep your boarding pass. Despite what folk with rubbish 34 year recommend.

Wow- what is the secret to your longevity- yoghurt or the Mediterranean Diet?

15 hours ago, Lazy Sod said:

Yes it’s a “simple process” to keep it on you for those of us who now know of this silly rule. But how about the millions of first time European tourists who left the boarding pass on the plane and are then welcomed to Thailand by a rude IO. First impressions last. 

Yep, a silly rule when followed by a Thai IO in your eyes, of course. But, on the other hand, no doubt a rule to be praised to the highest heavens as being the best thing since sliced bread when followed by non-Thai IO's (as stated a number of times in this thread), right?

Edited by OJAS

18 hours ago, myprivate said:

Wouldn't it be great if somebody invented a computer that could share data with another computer, it could link passenger manifests and immigration records, and then it wouldn't be necessary to hand write all this information on dead trees.

But THIS IS THAILAND !!

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I fly in every couple of weeks. When I show boarding pass at DMK io often pushes it pack. I flew into DMK couple weeks ago. IO wanted to see it.

This last Monday I flew into BKK and io was not interested. Always have it in your pocket. It's not just Thailand. Same gig at Vietnam. 

No big deal. Case closed.

Yes I've been asked for boarding pass at both Hanoi and HCMC airports but not every time.

I'm elderly and I forget / lose things sometimes so I make it a point to immediately take a smartphone picture of everything, including the luggage tags immediately after the check-in staff put it on the luggage handle. I do it quickly before the luggage moves away on the belt for loading.

Then I move away from the check-in desk and photo my boarding pass. 

And just in case I might lose my phone my son set up something so that everything I photo goes directly to an external memory.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Keep it in your pocket, wallet or slotted in your passport until you get home - not worthy of a complaint, surely?

They invented the e-tickets so we don't have to carry a pile of paperwork anymore when we fly.

But Thailand just makes up new nonsense like this showing the boarding pass...i also didn't know it and got an angry IO against me blaming me for throwing it away...how should i know that they need it in Thailand only???

And in the past the IO stapled the departure card in your passport so you wouldn't loose it...now they stopped doing that, if you loose that card you'll have  problems.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1