Pedang Besar Visa Run

21 hours ago, recom273 said:

If I needed to spend a night in Malaysia I think Padang is a better bet than Wang Prachan - there is a couple of grubby guesthouses that you can walk to, not far from Maybank.

Hey recom273, quick question - I haven't been to Pedang before - what's 'Maybank' - 

Thanks,

DS

25 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Hey recom273, quick question - I haven't been to Pedang before - what's 'Maybank' - 

Thanks,

DS

It’s a bank, big yellow sign. 

wakk over the roundabout into town and you will see it, put your back to the atm and look across the road, I think there is a GH sign.

Never stayed, but read a couple of local fb group posts saying it was a but grubby.

16 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Thanks. ????

Have you heard whether they're requiring an overnight there? - I'm just getting a stamp on my METV, trying to do the usual U-turn.

DS

I went there 2 weeks ago, got off the train in the morning and back on the shuttle to Hat Yai in the afternoon.

• Like 2

Good news!

Where'd you ride in from? I'm in Khanom, thinking I might ride the train from Nakhorn Sri Thammarat but haven't been able to find a schedule that shows that ... might have to do Nakhorn Sri Thammarat to Hat Yai.

Other option is to ride the scooter, but it's 300+ km, a long day in the saddle.

DS

12 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

Good news!

Where'd you ride in from? I'm in Khanom, thinking I might ride the train from Nakhorn Sri Thammarat but haven't been able to find a schedule that shows that ... might have to do Nakhorn Sri Thammarat to Hat Yai.

Other option is to ride the scooter, but it's 300+ km, a long day in the saddle.

DS

I came down overnight from Bangkok. If you can get to Hat Yai for 07.30 you can get the morning shuttle for 50 baht, or there is the Bangkok train No 45 that comes through HY about 45 minutes later, although mine ran about 2 hours late. I think that one is about 250 baht.

Another option would be to take the afternoon shuttle to PD arrives about 1600 Malaysian time and then the Bangkok train No 46 back to Hat Yai, that leaves PD at 18.00 getting into HY at about the same time Thai time.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MrKFC said:

I could only find local trans to Hat Yai. You would have to then get another local train to Padang Besar.

image.png.df5009a1ba033e08151d9551e9debc0b.png

Source: http://www.railway.co.th/WebDestination/#/SearchDestination/EN

• Like 1

use the normal timetable. The main through trains come overnight from BKK and are thus most often (very) late AND are full of beds still occupied. This site will only show you available bookable space-and not if thats all taken. One cannot book available seats (as there will be people getting off at NST) untill on the day. But then I assume a Van or possibly if still there a bus would be quicker, on time and much more reliable.

These 3d cl only all stops locals used to be the free trains for anyone.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

thread revival?

completed just before the covid-visa deadline. I didn't need 60 days, so i took a last epic train trip, before i fly out.

trains are indeed running between Hat Yai and Pedang Besar, 50 baht, only two times: morning and afternoon, both ways, at separate times, which gives you just enough time to make it back. i think i took the 2pm to go to Malaysia, and tried the 4:30pm to come back to Thailand (i took the morning 9am'ish train back to Thailand). I arrived in Hat Yai in the morning, and "Hat Yai backpackers" was closed, but i still had good energy from sitting for so long, so i thought, might as well continue!

the train was delayed so i had just enough time to go back, but that because i was also the last person to pass immigration (they couldn't find my departed stamp, which was thankfully on a very early page, saving valuable passport space).

i tried to do it in the same day but was told i must stay at least one night by Malaysian immigration, and then told "enjoy Malaysia for a night" by another worker, along with giggles by the female workers.

otherwise, very good immigration people, super straight-forward, like at an airport, both ways. However there was one snag: there's a Thai disease control person checking for vaccines upon re-entering Thailand (Malaysia didn't care, super easy). I only had one vaccine (a few weeks ago!!), about to do my second, thankfully, a kind and beautiful immigration assistant told that dude i'm fine (unfortunately health institutions don't care if you had the real covid or not...). The guy was bureaucratic-minded / lacking common sense, as he couldn't understand that i've been living in Thailand during covid. Otherwise, a good, quick experience after so many dreadful immigration office visits in Thailand! 30-days, no questions asked.

...with the exception of this 1 day being stuck in Malaysia. There's nothing near the Pedang Besar (Malaysia-side, Thai-side is closed?). You'd have to walk two kilometers out or take a taxi to get to the closest urban area, and i doubt there's a backpacker-style hostel. Best just skip to Buttersworth / Pedang for like 10myr (or if you know a decent stop along the train). I didn't see anyone to exchange money with at the station either. You'd have to use a credit/debit card at the train ticket machine! Otherwise, maybe you can just skip the ticket gate (there's a gate next to it to go to the toilet), sneak into Buttersworth, and try to exchange and pay there. I think they'd be... more competent than the train station people at Pedang Besar.

if you can find the minivan for 50 baht in Hat Yai, that might be better? more guaranteed you can make it back? not sure...

anyway, i just wanted to say, post-covid-visa, this is an option... but very very far and long from central Thailand. i think it took like 18 hours for the special "express" (supposed to be 15hr? not sure...). who knows how long for the "rapid".

cheapest route is the "rapid" (read: slow) train 17X, from Bangkok (maybe goes to Bang Sue?) to Hat Yai:

260 for 3rd class

450? for 2nd class seat

? for 2nd class sleeper (fan)

i don't like freezing air conditioner.

new coaches of 3rd class (at least in special express) have blinding white light all night, you gotta walk around and find an old coach with dim lights to pass out in. Food and drinks (sugary) come every hour, for 18 hours, sometimes every 30 minutes.

i think the special express trains add a standard fee across all coach types (but i'm not 100% sure...), only like 150 or 200 baht or something. Hopefully they skip a few stops, maybe have slightly better coaches.

tldr: probably better to fly for most people, unless you want ab-exercises via roller-coaster treatment. I just wanted to do one last long train ride, and avoid paying my local corrupt immigration officer.