TM28: Thai immigration scraps requirement for foreigners to report when they stay away from home for 24 hours

Jonathan Fairfield

17 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

What it doesnt say is the TM30 is no longer needed, and as the fines for landlords not reporting are so often passed onto the occupier.

You are worrying too much ...

How the Thai police could know that you are not at home and are on  a short trip by secondary roads by stopping in some hostel 24/24 which will never ask you for your passport and will not do either of declaration to Immigration ...
In any case, this is how I have been traveling for many years

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

So.. No more reporting TM30. Which our local IO insisted I do even for one night away from my permanent address? 

No, you're wrong.  No more reporting on TM28, like it says in the OP.  

If you read the post properly you'll see that you still need to report if you change address PERMANENTLY.  

• Like 2

Just now, Mister Fixit said:

If you read the post properly you'll see that you still need to report if you change address PERMANENTLY.  

We still have to fill out a TM 30 even if we stay virtually next door. So no change... 

16 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The internal staff at immigration offices are probably pushing to find ways not to have so many people come in during the oncoming pandemic ????

That could be it. I was Jomtien Immigration last week after the holiday and there were thousands visiting and apart from a few tourists, the only people wearing masks were the staff. Ironically, the "idiot who shall not be named" at the front counter asked me where my wife was when I told him I'm reporting for both of us. No staff member has ever asked me that before and I've been reporting for both of us for 10 years. I suppose he figured there weren't enough people in there already, but the place was more packed than I've ever seen it before. I put on my mask LOL.

57 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:
1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah, but what if you travel out of country?

You are entered on arrival at the airport or border crossing.

This is good news.

Serious ? Cause this is what my Trips to the IO have been about.

• Thanks 1

so we still need to fill in the tm30 yes or no ?  i have always filled in the tm30 NOT the tm 28 ......  i rent a house .. so you saying i don't need to do nothing now every time i go back UK and return to my same address? i'm on retirement extension  

Edited by docspinoff
add

Good news. I haven't stayed in a hotel in Thailand since this dumbassery started. I've either stayed with friends who obviously dont report me or just stayed put in Bangkok. 

Might celebrate with a weekend in a nice resort in Rayong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Good news. I haven't stayed in a hotel in Thailand since this dumbassery started. I've either stayed with friends who obviously dont report me or just stayed put in Bangkok. 

Might celebrate with a weekend in a nice resort in Rayong.

You still have to do TM30 when you get back !

1 hour ago, BestB said:

I recall a large number of doom sayers who said that online petition was a waste of time and possibly could get you into trouble for signing . Those who were brave enough to start it and sign it can now laugh in your faces. 

well done Isaan lawyers and all who signed to get the attention and for something to change 

I think it is highly likely that a petition signed by foreigners had any affect on this decision. They are not as important as they may think they are.

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

Until its official don't get excited. I am one who is very sceptical when there is talk of scrapping any money making venture because that was all this ever was. 

At what point was this a 'money making venture'? It has never cost me a single satang to do my address reporting. 

• Like 2

the same same but different ?????  so  do we  need to do tm30 ??? as it seems landlord has too??????

so man lives with thai girlfriend in there own house who does what ? and if we live in rented house not our problem ????

The TM28 form is for foreigners to report themselves to Immigration after staying away from their registered address for more than 24 hours, as required under Section 37 (c) of the same act. “The TM30 is the house owner's responsibility, whether the home owner is a Thai or a foreigner,

Edited by docspinoff
add

And the officer who suggested this was fired, right? Of course not.

Once the fines stopped coming in, they said it was BS anyways and don’t want to waste their time anymore doing it. Just wait for the latest BS from immigration. 

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Sorry TM 30 as well. Open the police order. But it does not cover out of country. 

VICTORY!!!!

Ok yeah I didn't read it yet. Just had that feeling and had to get it out. I'm sure the devil is in the details.

EDIT: ok that didn't last long. So they fiddled with section 37, TM28 by effectively mooting it. TM30/47 still there. Pffffft. The only interesting thing is, immigration can do these types of patches without touching the law itself.

Edited by DrTuner

AH yes. Some bright spark thought up a terrific wheeze for harrassing more foreigners. That was AM while said bright spark was having his morning constitutional over the squat pot and it was regulation by lunch time. Sadly, this was another bright idea that wasn't really thought through very well. Or very thoroughly; it proved to be unworkable and required altogether too many resources.

So poof! And it was gone. Without the expected fanfare and guff about valuing foreigners and all that jazz, it was just gone. But ssssssshhhh. The Thais will pretend it was a great victory and that they struck a blow for efficiency and optimisation.

Woo hoo! Good innit? Even the bad ones are good in the Thai reality distortion zone.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Confused 1