TM28: Thai immigration scraps requirement for foreigners to report when they stay away from home for 24 hours

Jonathan Fairfield

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You took all that time, To NOT answer the question I was asking? Hope it's good for you, have no clue what you're on about.

I wasn’t attempting to answer your question just stating a few facts, tbh I don’t didn’t fully understand it obviously you got out the wrong side of bed this morning ?

16 hours ago, BestB said:

I recall a large number of doom sayers who said that online petition was a waste of time and possibly could get you into trouble for signing . Those who were brave enough to start it and sign it can now laugh in your faces. 

well done Isaan lawyers and all who signed to get the attention and for something to change 

I signed it!! So glad it worked!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I assume that as long as you return to the same address there is no need . My wife returns to the U.K. twice a year and when she returns she has never ever filled in a TM30 as we have lived in the same house for years the only difference is that her 90 day reporting is not the same as mine and with the new online reporting I don’t see that as a problem we are also lucky that we have a local IO no need to travel far which is a godsend when your doing your yearly extension of stay 

as long as they don't check you entry stamp from uk. as  they will then know you been out and in. so have to redue tm30 or was tm 28  as the dates don't thai up  or get a fine 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Actually your immigration office was correct, a TM28 has to be done at a regular police station (with the latest change hardly anybody has to do a TM28)

A few immigration offices just didn't understand the law and asked people for a TM28. Afaik they didn't fine people for not having done a TM28, even if they wrongfully thought it was their job.

But the TM30 is for the owner or Housemaster to submit which I am neither.

So a few scenarios.

1/ long stay visa holders no need to report if returning to permanent residence from domestic travel (tm28 or tm30?)

2/ if a long stay holder stays at my house do I have to report (tm30?)

3/ if a tourist stays overnight at my house do I need to report (tm30?)

4/ 90 day reports unchanged?

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Monkeycity said:

Um, then why was I fined yesterday for not notifying within 24 hours? And told that whenever I go to any province longer than 24 hours I have to notify my address or I will be fined, again.

From your post it seems that you are reporting to an IO that is very strict on TM30 compliance.

Some IOs only require it when returning from a trip abroad, and some don't even care at all.

Easiest way to be in compliance with TM30 regulations and to avoid being fined, is to register on the IO TM30 website and file your TM30s on-line.

>> I PM-ed you a step-by-step instruction on how to do this.  It takes approx 30' to 45' to register and file your first TM30 (if you know how to do it), and subsequent ones take less than 2'.

17 hours ago, BestB said:

I recall a large number of doom sayers who said that online petition was a waste of time and possibly could get you into trouble for signing . Those who were brave enough to start it and sign it can now laugh in your faces. 

well done Isaan lawyers and all who signed to get the attention and for something to change 

Do you really believe that the policy was changed because the authorities were afraid of the opinion of foreigners?

In my humble opinion, I think that the authorities have been running this to see how it works with the population of foreigners first and then to apply it to the population as a whole. They changed it because they now want to see how things work if they just apply it in the new way, with lots of exceptions that they can selectively withdraw at any time.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

I assume that as long as you return to the same address there is no need . My wife returns to the U.K. twice a year and when she returns she has never ever filled in a TM30 as we have lived in the same house for years the only difference is that her 90 day reporting is not the same as mine and with the new online reporting I don’t see that as a problem we are also lucky that we have a local IO no need to travel far which is a godsend when your doing your yearly extension of stay 

Yeah but unfortunately for CM they will require TM30 check in. Unless it directly states it for the TM30 being abolished, I still gather it remains and is mandatory. 

7 minutes ago, Accidental Tourist said:

Do I still have to report to my wife?

yes if you are sleep in the same house ? and don't spend 24 hrs with bar girl then go home you will have to report again . god help you ,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by docspinoff
add

17 hours ago, Chicken George said:

So.. No more reporting TM30. Which our local IO insisted I do even for one night away from my permanent address? 

The TM30 report still has to be submitted same as before. Don't confuse the TM28 that most immigration offices didn't enforce earlier. This will change nothing. 

• Like 2

Someones going to lose their job for showing the smallest amount of common sense... in a land where none exists....

But I hear you cannot pay your power bill.. water bill or rego... without your passport.. green book.. blue book.. purple book.. doing 5 pushups.. 20 situps and a handstand.....????????????????

17 hours ago, BestB said:

I don't agree. It has merely brought us back to where we were before. What would have been an advance would have been to relax/scrap the situation of the TM30. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

A group of expats in Thailand even launched an online petition calling for the TM28 and TM30 to be abolished.

And while the petition failed to reach its target for sign ups, it undoubtedly helped to bring the issue to the attention of senior immigration officials in Thailand.  

So who can start an petition to stop the 90 Day reporting .:jap: All expats should sign that .  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

9 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

What would have been an advance would have been to relax/scrap the situation of the TM30. 

In the exceptions as I read it relatives do not have to be reported under TM30 ( section.    )

seems like an improvement to me.

1 hour ago, Monkeycity said:

Um, then why was I fined yesterday for not notifying within 24 hours? And told that whenever I go to any province longer than 24 hours I have to notify my address or I will be fined, again.

Go there again, explain, and ask your money back.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm... would this apply to people moving to Vietnam and Cambodia?

I am pretty sure the Gestapo have to stop at the border....whether they want to or not is a whole different story!

Edited by Grumpy John
Smeling

This is confussing as I understand it the tm 28 was for changing address. the tm 30 is when you stay away from that address for 24 hours or more then return. 

So if you go stay in a hotel or go on holiday you still need to do the tm30 when you return nothing to do with the tm28

• Like 1