BANGKOK
Jonathan Fairfield

TM28: Thai immigration scraps requirement for foreigners to report when they stay away from home for 24 hours

Good news, looks as though immigration's trying........maybe try bringing back unlimited tourist visas for westerners, that would be a great help, also bring in a bit of well needed tea money..... Afterall, 1900 bht for two months, them another 1900 bht for the month extension.......  Double bubble, high fives all round.... 

• Like 1

Kudos to the Thai government for doing something good for people.  Even a blind dog finds a bone sometimes!  

• Haha 2

it is better to review and amend. wherever necessary, the laws or even rules and regulations which have become obsolete.

15 hours ago, Chicken George said:

So.. No more reporting TM30. Which our local IO insisted I do even for one night away from my permanent address? 

TM30 often gets confused with TM28, with TM30 sometimes used as a kind of catch-all term to describe both but they are actually two separate requirements - and TM30 is still required.).

Seems like nothing much has changed

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

It is meaningless. Just plain as that. 

some things get obsolete with passage of time. good thing that it was corrected after action by petitioners.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Kudos to the Thai government for doing something good for people.  Even a blind dog finds a bone sometimes!  

government acted after petitioners acted on the obsolete laws.

• Confused 3

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Actually it isnt clear.. It says the TM28 is no longer needed.. 

What it doesnt say is the TM30 is no longer needed, and as the fines for landlords not reporting are so often passed onto the occupier.. I am not sure this changes anything legally. 

Once again.. Thailand manages to make it totally unclear. 

TM30 often gets confused with TM28, with TM30 sometimes used as a kind of catch-all term to describe both but they are actually two separate requirements - and TM30 is still required.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Isaanlawyers said:

It all started with a group of expats in Isaan and a petition. We setup a website, promoted on youtube. Translated in Thai. And it was in Bangkok Post after 3 days. Thanks to Richard Barrow to have help the story and also The Thaiger.

To the douters, I tell them:

www.youtube.com/embed/jG7dSXcfVqE

Which apparently has had no effect at all on the official TM30 requirements.

• Like 2

but who gets the fine if the is not an up to date tm30 ?  as i it seems to me there has to be a TM30 slip in passport .and the tm30 still states if you stay in a hotel etc you have to renew it ... is this correct . so the same dame form as i can see ... as i know the landlaord should do it ,but they wont will they//// everytime you move around ,,,,

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Mine said the same thing in December 

So did mine last December. 

Well, doesn't anything about TM 30 specifically does it???

15 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

In 10 years of traveling in, out, and around the country I've never even heard of a TM28, let alone gone to immigration to get one, sign one, eat one, or whatever people were supposed to do with them. 

I only once filled in a TM28 0nce. I took in in to Immigration and they scrapped it and made me fill in a TM30 which should be for the property owner (I am a renter) Seems Immigration are as confused as the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1