No virus cover-up, premier tweets

snoop1130

No virus cover-up, premier tweets

By The Nation

800_385203deb3fe293.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha (Photo Credit: Royal Thai Government website)

Evidently in a mood to condemn “fake news”, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha went on Twitter on Thursday (February 20) insisting there’s no Covid-19 cover-up going on in Thailand.

The government was neither hiding nor distorting the number of infections found here and citizens should gain confidence in its remarkable success in managing the disease thus far, he tweeted.

Several other countries have expressed admiration for Thailand’s ability to stem the virus’ spread, but even foreign experts on disease control have signalled doubt over the relatively small numbers of confirmed and suspected cases officially reported.

Prayut had earlier in the day urged the public to stay calm and not share “fake news or hate speech” about the virus threat, “because everyone, especially medical personnel, will be working on it until the crisis has passed”.

“The situation in Thailand today is still in a range we can cope with,” he said. “And the government will take care of all affected sectors of society.”

Prayut emerged from an afternoon meeting at Government House on the virus issue, saying the Cabinet would soon announce measures to support entrepreneurs who have been affected by the outbreak centred in China.

“The measures already taken have been able to control the situation effectively, but we plan to introduce more to help society cope and more again if the outbreak evolves to the next level,” he said.

“Meanwhile it’s important to shore up the production and distribution of protective facemasks, which is still falling short.”

Businesspeople in tourism and industry stung by the virus can count on state assistance, Prayut said. “The virus has had an impact on all businesses, so we must resolve the problem in a comprehensive way. I thank all government agencies for their cooperation in helping solve these problems.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382505

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-20
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

“The measures already taken have been able to control the situation effectively, but we plan to introduce more to help society cope and more again if the outbreak evolves to the next level,” he said.

Does he know something that we don't,apart from being 100% under control,I can't help thinking we a being warmed up for the "next level".Iran has had 2 fatalities out of 5 confirmed cases which makes it a 40% fatality rate,the numbers don't lie,do they?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

You can’t have new cases when you’re not testing everyone who’s sick.

Even better, you can diagnose them positive with 1 lab but not do the requisite 2 reference lab test for confirmation: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/file/guidelines/G_CPG_en.pdf

Keeps the stats squeaky clean. They must've gotten help from the TAT stat wranglers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, monkfish said:

Oh great did he say how many of the 947 suspected cases have been tested yet?

It is possible they have all been sent home to self isolate and also told not to post on social media about their situation 

Interesting that most (if not all) of the reported confirmed cases in Thailand have all been foreigners - I think the only one that wasn't was a taxi driver

Foreigner cases are not that easy to hide

But anyway - this has been talked and discussed "to death"

Only 32 cases - it's a hub in the making or what's that other new Thai buzz word - leaders in ………………………….everything/something yet to be determined

Right. The acid test (as so often) is this question: If it were a cover-up, would he admit it (and the answer is definitely no). This is the test of belling this particular cat - it is were true, would it be admitted, with most commentaries (imho) coming down on the side of ever greater mendacity for the sake of appearances.

In this particular case, the truth is bound to come out and I feel that Uncle Too's reputation will not be enhanced by the emerging obviousness of the lies he's been telling for a long time. It takes a clever man to be an outrageous and successful liar, and that is not an obvious description of Uncle Too.

Given all of the circs, many of which are not clear at all, I would not rule out a slide down the slippery slope towards another coup being the final outcome in a conflict between the haves of Thailand and the (seemingly) increasingly determined have-nots (or more accurately perhaps the wish-they-hads). A way to go yet, but the CoronaVirus thing becoming a debacle could be a very good catalyst of a generalised dissatiafction with the leaders the 'haves' have selected to protect their interests with, and I fear that the ex-pat community will not be major winners in any upcoming controversy. Despite his obvious shortcomings, Uncle Too is very good at gyrating his way through in the 3-ring circus.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

i think the thai goverment is doing the right things.

i would do the same, if i was the government of thailand.

thailand can't be proactive in this case, only reactive. thailand must wait

for the situation to develop before placing the most severe measures.

that is because thailand is not a leader, not a superpower, and not the origin of

this virus.

the situation is bad enough and no need to pressure it.

the number of the infected in china alone is propably between 1.5-2 million people, and

growing. this estimate is based on the official number of 75,000 CONFIRMED cases.

for each confirmed case there are propably another 5 cases which are not confirmed / discovered.

so it's 75,000 cases @ 5 = 300,000 infected people.

by the time those people will be discovered / aware to their infection, they HAD infected

another 5-6 people. so 300,000 times 5 is 1,500,000 infected people...and growing.

GOD help us all !!

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i think the thai goverment is doing the right things.

i would do the same, if i was the government of thailand.

thailand can't be proactive in this case, only reactive. thailand must wait

for the situation to develop before placing the most severe measures.

that is because thailand is not a leader, not a superpower, and not the origin of

this virus.

the situation is bad enough and no need to pressure it.

the number of the infected in china alone is propably between 1.5-2 million people, and

growing. this estimate is based on the official number of 75,000 CONFIRMED cases.

for each confirmed case there are propably another 5 cases which are not confirmed / discovered.

so it's 75,000 cases @ 5 = 300,000 infected people.

by the time those people will be discovered / aware to their infection, they HAD infected

another 5-6 people. so 300,000 times 5 is 1,500,000 infected people...and growing.

GOD help us all !!

On one hand you claim there may be 2 million people in China infected, yet on the other hand you are saying Thailand has taken the correct approach.

Erm ... how about closing the border to China temporarily? Surely, if this even stopped 50% of the spread it would be a good thing, rite?

The fact other neighbouring countries have done as much, and Thailand hasn't is gross irresponsibility to the regions fight against this. Even Hong Kong have banned the Chinese - and they are owned by China !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

how about closing the border to China temporarily?

i was thinking about this too, and my conclusion is that yes. the thai government

made the right decision.

this is what i meant when i said that thailand is not a leader, it is a follower of china, thailand

can be seen as another province in china, and it makes it's decision based on china's instructions.

acctually, it was china who decided to close the whole Hubei province where the virus originated.

a drastic move that is now praised by the WHO. it is equal to sacrificing a whole province, 50 million

people, to save the rest of the country and the region.

and it is china who decided to isolate hong kong. do you think that hong kong decided to

"ban the chinese"? haha no. hong kong is china indeed, and the desicion is done according to the developments.

it is an unfolding situation and as they lost the battle against the virus

they started to close hong kong border.

so what can little thailand do?

truth, scary truth,  is that there isn't much to do.

the masks, the quarantines, are just desperate useless actions.

the virus has to run it's curse until it dies and disapears (like in SARS case) , or mutate to higher

ground and than kills 100's of millions (like in the spanish flu case).

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"Everybody knows" it is the spiciness of Thai food that is protecting us

Well, the spiciness of Thai food may be doing something apart from loodening bowels, but it's unlikely to be protectig us from virii, even accepting the toungue-in-cheek nature of the post. There was research announced a few years ago that argued the average IQ in certain nations was stunted by the quantity of Chillies eaten by the population (in fact I think it was Mexico where the research was done).

The report sank without trace, probably because it was politically unacceptable (much like the much reviled 'Bell Curve' research which was declared by Margaret Thatcher to be bogus, even though she admitted never having read it).

Might be true, I don't know but I do believe that rejecting scientific research because its conclusions are not politically acceptable is the slippery slope towards wokishness and beatnik-style beards for us all. Trendy to  be sure but hardly an evolutionary leap forward.

Having said that, it could of course be the fact that an average IQ under 90 is what is protecting the Thai people. In which case, we're likely to be over-run by mor-lams and Nigerian email scams sometime about now, because they'll be the only people left. A sobering thought.

• Like 1

I do not believe any of the government leaders in most departments, incluing top

guy. First 100 percent under control, 555, then watching out for 2nd or3rd phase

of virus, but no more cases of people infected, and of course there will be no

admitted deaths from the virus,  ever.

Geezer