BANGKOK
Rimmer

Slow pipes leave Pattaya water trucks awash in business

Slow pipes leave Pattaya water trucks awash in business

1373-N2-Feb-18-01-Water-truck-service-1.

PATTAYA:--With water pressure running low in many areas, water suppliers are awash in business in Pattaya.

Earlier facing the threat of the worst water shortage Pattaya has seen in five years, the Provincial Waterworks Authority last year cut water pressure in some areas by as much as 20 percent. That means water runs more slowly and sometimes even stops, most recently last week.

In South Pattaya and along Thepprasit Road water trucks have been doing good business, selling water for 10-13 baht a liter.

One driver said he normally does three or four deliveries a day but is now doing as many as 10.

His biggest customers, he said, are condominiums, apartments and private homes.

Water levels in the nearby Chaknok and Mabprachan reservoirs have dropped significantly, with underwater plant life now peeking above the surface in some places.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/slow-pipes-leave-pattaya-water-trucks-awash-in-business-288742

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-02-20—

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

selling water for 10-13 baht a liter.

:w00t:

Another brain dead unchecked number garbage.

More expensive than bottled drinking water :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Last time I purchased a water delivery from memory it was 200 baht for a 2,000 litre truck. Anybody know if the price has gone up at all?

8 hours ago, topt said:

Last time I purchased a water delivery from memory it was 200 baht for a 2,000 litre truck. Anybody know if the price has gone up at all?

Last time I used one it was I think 700 baht per load of 6000 litres so similar to the price you quoted. That was not during a drought though. Depends how far they have to bring it too. Saw a delivery to central soi Buakhao yesterday and heard no water for a month, yet somewhere not too far to the South said they had not yet lost water. 

Edited by jacko45k

Yes I passed the water truck outside HH the other evening and have seen them delivering to other locations for a good few weeks. 

I am in between Pattaya Klang and Nua and have had several short mains water outages, ranging from a few hours (yesterday) to 2 days a few weeks back, but all seemingly because of the leaking pipe on Third road. There is a stretch of pipe work around the Vespa dealer which has been dug up and repaired 3/4 times this year alone and multiple times last year. 

They have had continual problems since they "upgraded" the supply which I think was 2 years ago. 

I wonder what is the source of the water these trucks deliver?  I also wonder if the tanks are ever sterilized?

Whiskey's for drinkin water's for fightin ....Mark Twain

Edited by mok199

1 hour ago, Prairieboy said:

I wonder what is the source of the water these trucks deliver?  I also wonder if the tanks are ever sterilized?

Last time when we had a big water shortage here, many people fell sick after eating vegetables or fruit in restaurants. Does that answer your question?

15 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I know for a fact ( because I had to pay ) that Water delivered like this 3 years ago was 200 Baht per tank ( 2 Cube Meter = 2 Units ), and there was no Drought then.

As for the source of the Water being delivered, some ( a little ) will come from bore hole wells, but most will come from water sucked our of some pond somewhere.

A guy last week was selling from his truck near my wife's shop off second road. He said he had his own deepwater well and was telling everyone it was even ok to drink!!

His price was 350bt for 2000 litres.

• Thanks 1

For a few weeks we had slow water ,but as we have a tank and pump if we needed it faster the wife turned the pump on ,yesterday i said havnt you turned the pump off ,she had but now the water pressure seems back to normal , wonder why ?

The authorities with start their own water trucking company, then turn off the mains water and blame the drought.  Then, you will pay what they say you will pay.

Thai Mafia Business 101. 

And this will only get worse going forward as more houses, condos, hotels spring up.  The worst thing is the leaking pipes.  The pipes in many places are quite old and do not  hold up under normal western country pressure levels.  If a pipe cracks or leaks, stuff you don't want gets into the pipe.  A little leakage out is OK, it is the stuff that leaks in that can be an issue.  At least in the USA towns issue boil water alerts when pipes bust or service work is done