US to Bangkok Bank transfers

Formerly, I used to route money to my Bangkok Bank account via the NYC branch. Worked great, then it stopped. I used Transferwiase once and it worked. But I don't need much so I reverted to ACH online directly from my bank. That worked, but the last one didn't go through. What's the option now? Is transferwise still working?

PS I'm in the states at the moment so going to the bank in person is not an option.

I have an account with Bangkok bank. The first three transfers from US via Transferwise were coded as FTT and I thought I would be OK for the rest of the year. I've just have my bank book updated and to my horror, the following six transfers were coded TRD as a domestic transfer. I've emailed TW to find out what has happened. TW said it reset my account to FTT but said it wouldn't guarantee that the problem wouldn't happen again. So much for comfort. I wonder what other members here on TV have done to solve this issue. 

Sorry if I had missed previous thread on the subject.

For reason for transfer did you select Long Stay Thailand?  I expect you didn't. 

When selecting Long Stay Thailand for the transfer reason that is suppose to trigger TW using Bkk Bk for the partner bank which then ensures a transfer to a Bkk Bk acct/recipient receives FTT/International Transfer coding.

And I would also recommend you request TW "tag" your Bkk Bk accts/recipients to always use Bkk Bk as the partner bank. Maybe that's what you meant where you said TW reset your acct.

Always using the Long Stay Thailand reason and tagging you recipients has been extensively discussed in related/similar threads.  That's the most you can do to ensure transfers to a Bkk Bk acct receive FTT coding...and currently that seems to "almost" 100% guarantee desired coding. 

But if TW encounters some kind of temporaty problem in using Bkk Bk they will use another partner bank (which means no FTT coding) as getting your transfer completed is their top priority.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:06 AM, Pib said:

For reason for transfer did you select Long Stay Thailand?  I expect you didn't. 

When selecting Long Stay Thailand for the transfer reason that is suppose to trigger TW using Bkk Bk for the partner bank which then ensures a transfer to a Bkk Bk acct/recipient receives FTT/International Transfer coding.

And I would also recommend you request TW "tag" your Bkk Bk accts/recipients to always use Bkk Bk as the partner bank. Maybe that's what you meant where you said TW reset your acct.

Always using the Long Stay Thailand reason and tagging you recipients has been extensively discussed in related/similar threads.  That's the most you can do to ensure transfers to a Bkk Bk acct receive FTT coding...and currently that seems to "almost" 100% guarantee desired coding. 

But if TW encounters some kind of temporaty problem in using Bkk Bk they will use another partner bank (which means no FTT coding) as getting your transfer completed is their top priority.

Thank you Pib for the help. Reason for transfer, I usually used "monthly expenses". I didn't know that could make a difference. When TW said it reset my account, it didn't get into specifics. I will put reason for transfer as "Long Stay Thailand" from now on.

6 minutes ago, Ubonquest said:

Thank you Pib for the help. Reason for transfer, I usually used "monthly expenses". I didn't know that could make a difference. When TW said it reset my account, it didn't get into specifics. I will put reason for transfer as "Long Stay Thailand" from now on.

Yea, supposedly back around mid 2019 when a LOT of people who were doing monthly transfers to their Bangkok Bank and always getting FTT/International Transfer coding, well, it changed to where they were no longer getting the FTT coding each and every time....some transfers were being coded as domestic vs international...like what has happened to you.   Quite a few ThaiVisa threads on this issues around mid 2019.

Apparently Transferwise was having  glitch/technical problem in using Bangkok Bank as there partner bank (well, that's what Transferwise said anyway) and was instead using one of their other partner banks of K-bank and TMB for the last leg of the transfer which resulted in domestic vs international coding.  But I figure it was simply Transferwise spreading transfers more evenly amount its three Thailand partner banks.  So, if during the luck of the transfer draw if Transferwise used Bangkok Bank as the partner bank your got FTT coding...if they used K-bank or TMB you didn't....I guess a person probably had a 1 in 3 chance at that time in getting FTT/International Transfer coding when sending to a Bangkok Bank recipient acct.

Of course this created a big problem for those folks using the monthly transfer method for immigration/extension of stay purposes where immigration wants to see foreign transfer coding.  

Then with all the hate mail/calls/emails from customers to Transferwise about not getting FTT/International coding Transferwise came up with the Long Stay Thailand reason for transfer which supposedly will trigger their system to use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank to help ensure FTT/International Transfer coding for those transfers to Bangkok Bank accts.    Transferwise does not guarantee this will result in desired coding each time if they start having an issue in using Bangkok Bank as the partner bank because getting your transfer completed is their objective/top priority and not ensuring a desired coding.  

And as mentioned earlier I would also recommend you send an email to Transferwise requesting they "tag" your Bangkok Bank recipients/transfers to always use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank since getting FTT/International Transfer coding is extremely important to you.  If they respond with a "well, just use the Long Stay Thailand reason for transfer and/or you can get an FET from the Thai bank", just respond back nicely that you understand that but getting a FET after the fact causes additional works/costs on your end....please, as requested, just tag my accts.   They will tag your acct. 

If using the Long Stay Thailand coding "and" also getting your recipients tagged then you have done everything you can to ensure your transfers to Bangkok Bank recipients receiving the FTT/International Transfer coding.

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, supposedly back around mid 2019 when a LOT of people who were doing monthly transfers to their Bangkok Bank and always getting FTT/International Transfer coding, well, it changed to where they were no longer getting the FTT coding each and every time....some transfers were being coded as domestic vs international...like what has happened to you.   Quite a few ThaiVisa threads on this issues around mid 2019.

Apparently Transferwise was having  glitch/technical problem in using Bangkok Bank as there partner bank (well, that's what Transferwise said anyway) and was instead using one of their other partner banks of K-bank and TMB for the last leg of the transfer which resulted in domestic vs international coding.  But I figure it was simply Transferwise spreading transfers more evenly amount its three Thailand partner banks.  So, if during the luck of the transfer draw if Transferwise used Bangkok Bank as the partner bank your got FTT coding...if they used K-bank or TMB you didn't....I guess a person probably had a 1 in 3 chance at that time in getting FTT/International Transfer coding when sending to a Bangkok Bank recipient acct.

Of course this created a big problem for those folks using the monthly transfer method for immigration/extension of stay purposes where immigration wants to see foreign transfer coding.  

Then with all the hate mail/calls/emails from customers to Transferwise about not getting FTT/International coding Transferwise came up with the Long Stay Thailand reason for transfer which supposedly will trigger their system to use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank to help ensure FTT/International Transfer coding for those transfers to Bangkok Bank accts.    Transferwise does not guarantee this will result in desired coding each time if they start having an issue in using Bangkok Bank as the partner bank because getting your transfer completed is their objective/top priority and not ensuring a desired coding.  

And as mentioned earlier I would also recommend you send an email to Transferwise requesting they "tag" your Bangkok Bank recipients/transfers to always use Bangkok Bank as the partner bank since getting FTT/International Transfer coding is extremely important to you.  If they respond with a "well, just use the Long Stay Thailand reason for transfer and/or you can get an FET from the Thai bank", just respond back nicely that you understand that but getting a FET after the fact causes additional works/costs on your end....please, as requested, just tag my accts.   They will tag your acct. 

If using the Long Stay Thailand coding "and" also getting your recipients tagged then you have done everything you can to ensure your transfers to Bangkok Bank recipients receiving the FTT/International Transfer coding.

This info is extremely helpful. I followed a bit when this issue came up last year. Since my first three transfers were coded FTT, I thought I was set but I was wrong. I had Kasikorn also but it showed up as "domestic" so I opened an account with Bkk Bank and now it happened again. Thank you again.