Getting someone else to deposit tax refund

I'll get straight to the point: Can someone walk into my bank and deposit my tax refund into my bank account? I ask, because I won't be in the country to receive my refund letter. Back in the day, a cheque was issued (and cheques are easy enough to deposit into someone else's bank account), however, last year I was issued with a letter to the bank that stated they had to deposit x amount of Baht into my account (They've stopped issuing cheques due to PromptPay, but foreigners can't, or at least last year couldn't apply for prompt pay)

If they have your bankbook too. And it's Krung Thai Bank, it may be possible.

Last year I did it without showing ID, this year they asked to see my passport.

If they don't succeed, there are lots of other branches to try.

Please let us know if you are successful, others are in your position too.

1 hour ago, YT3k72Em said:

Thanks for the info. I'll update this if/when I'm successful. This whole cancellation of cheques is really quite tedious, and as far as I can tell, the only reason PromptPay doesn't work for foreigners is because they didn't build-in/code provisions for non-13 digit ID numbers i.e. passports and so forth.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 11:23 AM, YT3k72Em said:

So, I finally have an update:

If the foreign beneficiary (of the Tax refund) has a Krungthai bank account, any person (showing positive ID) can deposit the refund into the beneficiary's account using the counter service (beneficiary'sbank account number needed)

If the foreign beneficiary does not have a KTB account, a certified copy of the beneficiary's passport (certified by the MFA at Chaeng Wattana), a power of attorney form signed by two witnesses (form available at any KTB branch), and the refund letter from the Revenue Department has to be presented by the nominee. The nominee will then receive an E-money card to the value of the refund's amount with the pin code 111-111 (or 000-000, the teller will tell them) with which they can withdraw the money. The card can not be used overseas. The card has a validity period of 5 years.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. It all sounds perfectly reasonable, which is the surprising part!

Sounds like everybody who may think they will be in this position should open a KTB account to save themselves extra headache when the time comes.

• Thanks 1