BANGKOK
webfact

Shop and compare: Cost of private-hospital services goes public

"will by the end of the month be able to easily compare prices for medical services for the first time."

For the "first time"????..... WHY do these things take so long to accomplish in Thailand? For goodness sakes Thailand TRY to keep up with the rest of the civilized world. It isn't all that hard. These types of incompetence are mind blowing. This type of thing makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would choose to move/retire there.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3

A commendably good tool to have, unfortunately, somehow, i don't see the it to be very helpful as in Thailand like in Thailand the usual shenanigan will kick in whereby you'd be expecting to pay as per list only to be told that Oh, no, prices went up since then and there were unexpected extras on your treatment...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Uh, the link goes to a Facebook page guys.

That's why I ignored it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

A commendably good tool to have, unfortunately, somehow, i don't see the it to be very helpful as in Thailand like in Thailand the usual shenanigan will kick in whereby you'd be expecting to pay as per list only to be told that Oh, no, prices went up since then and there were unexpected extras on your treatment...

Perhaps the way to go is to confirm the price immediately before agreeing to treatment?

This will put up the prices without a doubt. Less expensive hospitals will use this information to match their prices with the more expensive ones.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Why are you still in Thailand HuskerDo?

Leave if you think this country is not up to your expectation. Nobody wants to tie you here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

Yes, it is good that the website is in Thai, the national language of Thailand.

Why bother posting the news in English on a website where everyone speaks English?

Also, why not show tourists the prices since the hospitals claim they are running up bills and not paying? Oh yea, because they can’t rip them off if they do.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gee Ku said:

Leave if you think this country is not up to your expectation. Nobody wants to tie you here.

People are leaving. Loads of them. They don’t need your approval or recommendation to do so.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

"will by the end of the month be able to easily compare prices for medical services for the first time."

For the "first time"????..... WHY do these things take so long to accomplish in Thailand? For goodness sakes Thailand TRY to keep up with the rest of the civilized world. It isn't all that hard. These types of incompetence are mind blowing. This type of thing makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would choose to move/retire there.

I guess the US is not in the civilized world.  Unless you are going for a procedure that is not covered by insurance (elective procedures) you will not get a quote up front, even if you are not using insurance. 

The elective procedures advertise price because that's how they compete.  You can get a nose job from Doctor A for $2,000 or from Doctor B running a special for $1,500.  But it's not required by law.  They do it because they know people are shopping prices. 

For anything that is not elective, they won't even tell you what they're going to charge for the drugs they give you while you're in the hospital.  You might pay $100 for two aspirin.  They'll just shove them in your hand and tell you to take it, and you get a bill for $100.