Shop and compare: Cost of private-hospital services goes public

webfact

On 2/21/2020 at 6:16 AM, brucegoniners said:

Uh, the link goes to a Facebook page guys.

Thank you. I've had the same problem with some postings on TVF. 

Posters please take note:

Fakebook is not an essential requirement for living, like breathing is. Some curmudgeons like me have lived long and productive lives thus far without it. 

I strongly suspect that there are even normal people in the world somewhere who eschew it as well, but I could be wrong and usually am. 

45 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Fakebook is not an essential requirement for living, like breathing is. Some curmudgeons like me have lived long and productive lives thus far without it. 

I strongly suspect that there are even normal people in the world somewhere who eschew it as well, but I could be wrong and usually am. 

Well, technically the internet isn't essential either.  Yet, you use it. 

46 minutes ago, digibum said:

Well, technically the internet isn't essential either.  Yet, you use it. 

Apples and oranges. Pretty weak argument. Same for cars, clothing, pots and pans, etc. 

So to be clear :

Only water, food, and air are essential to life. Agreed? 

You chose to ignore the point of my comment. Mai pen rai. 

5 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I’m also far from a fan of Facebook and don’t use it much.  However, I recently found it to be quite useful.

I recently needed a body part for my car that isn’t stocked in Thailand.  If I ordered the part from the US (or Germany) I would have had to buy new and pay close to ฿30,000 including shipping, customs duty and vat.  Would have also had to take a taxi all the way across Bangkok to customs office to pay those duties.  Half a day wasted.

Thankfully, I had joined a local Facebook group for my cars make & model.  When I posted to it what I needed, within 10 minutes, a guy in the group replied that he had the part including his line ID if I wanted to contact him.  He sent me photos that I showed the body shop.  Shop said it’ll work.  Had it shipped to the body shop for ฿3000 all in.  2 other guys in the group also had the part.  Imagine that...Thai guys coming to the rescue of a “foreigner”.

Saved myself at least ฿25,000 and lots of time...but thanks for the lecture anyways.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, digibum said:

I think you missed my point completely. 

I'm pretty anti-Facebook.  I refuse to use it for anything more than messaging when people who do use it want to chat. 

Just because YOU don't like to use Facebook doesn't make it the world's responsibility to cater their posts to your preferences.  It's one thing if people are linking to a paid service like the Wall Street Journal and you can't access the article.  It's an entirely different thing if you choose not to have a free Facebook account.

It reminds me of this guy I know, back in the late 1990's he used to think he was cool because he read all of his email using the mail program on Linux (i.e no graphical interface).  Whenever someone would send an email with images he would scold all his contacts that he can't see the images because he was using Linux.  Needless to say, I sent a lot of emails with images just to troll him.  LOL

Given that Facebook has 2.5 billion actively monthly users, and that many people have Facebook accounts but don't use the service monthly thus don't count as active monthly users, and that probably 10% of the world doesn't use the internet at all, if you're on TV, there's a 90% or greater chance you have a Facebook account. 

So why should the 90% cater to the 10% who have made a CHOICE not to use Facebook?  If you choose not to create a Facebook account, why are you lecturing everyone else about how they should post to appease you? 

And just to be clear, as I said right at the beginning, I'm not a Facebook person.  I won't download it on my phone.  I think Zuckerberg is an evil, narcissistic, piece of <deleted>. 

But, I'm also a practical person and realize that there are certain things that only exist on Facebook and that some people choose to express themselves exclusively on Facebook, so I keep my account.

Correct. They should not post to cater to me.

You specifically state in the last paragraph that you maintain your account to cater to narrow minded people. We are different people that way I guess. 

In return I don't read their posts and cater to their exclusive adherence to a product that is designed to extract information from them to be sold to others. . 

If you choose to play a game of 'hide the data' with Fakebook that's up to you. They get no data from me to monetize because I don't use their service. 

Do you install every app that others tell you is absolutely necessary if you want to communicate with them? Good luck chasing that unicorn. 

In any event, I refuse to put my privacy at risk for the pleasure (?) of viewing an occasional photo or article. 

Maybe I also remind you of somebody that respects privacy and and freedom and is willing to make other tradeoffs in my life to maintain them. 

So be it. I think we've beat this horse to death. 

Peace 

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’m also far from a fan of Facebook and don’t use it much.  However, I recently found it to be quite useful.

I recently needed a body part for my car that isn’t stocked in Thailand.  If I ordered the part from the US (or Germany) I would have had to buy new and pay close to ฿30,000 including shipping, customs duty and vat.  Would have also had to take a taxi all the way across Bangkok to customs office to pay those duties.  Half a day wasted.

Thankfully, I had joined a local Facebook group for my cars make & model.  When I posted to it what I needed, within 10 minutes, a guy in the group replied that he had the part including his line ID if I wanted to contact him.  He sent me photos that I showed the body shop.  Shop said it’ll work.  Had it shipped to the body shop for ฿3000 all in.  2 other guys in the group also had the part.  Imagine that...Thai guys coming to the rescue of a “foreigner”.

Saved myself at least ฿25,000 and lots of time...but thanks for the lecture anyways.

I'm thrilled that it worked for you that way. 

Thanks for sharing a story that must be terribly common to all Fakebook users. Ah, tales of triumph over hardship by the grace of Fakebook. 

Long live the king! 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I'm thrilled that it worked for you that way. 

Thanks for sharing a story that must be terribly common to all Fakebook users. Ah, tales of triumph over hardship by the grace of Fakebook. 

Long live the king! 

So not only did you feel the need to lecture us,  a passive aggressive insult is necessary?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 5:56 AM, HuskerDo said:

This type of thing makes me wonder why anyone in their right mind would choose to move/retire there.

If any of us were in our right minds when we arrived, we certainly are not anymore. Living with the Thais is enough to turn anyone totally ting tong.

As for hospital prices, we are still being ripped off. And this is always assuming you can find a doctor who knows what he is doing!

16 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Correct. They should not post to cater to me.

You specifically state in the last paragraph that you maintain your account to cater to narrow minded people. We are different people that way I guess. 

In return I don't read their posts and cater to their exclusive adherence to a product that is designed to extract information from them to be sold to others. . 

If you choose to play a game of 'hide the data' with Fakebook that's up to you. They get no data from me to monetize because I don't use their service. 

Do you install every app that others tell you is absolutely necessary if you want to communicate with them? Good luck chasing that unicorn. 

In any event, I refuse to put my privacy at risk for the pleasure (?) of viewing an occasional photo or article. 

Maybe I also remind you of somebody that respects privacy and and freedom and is willing to make other tradeoffs in my life to maintain them. 

So be it. I think we've beat this horse to death. 

Peace 

No offense, but this conversation started because you were lecturing this thread about Facebook so you can't quite say that people shouldn't cater to you and then to admonish posters for not catering to you. 

Likewise, I kind of find some irony if you reside in Thailand, the land where they dream about creating a China-like Great Firewall, where information is censored, where everyone has to have their name tied to their SIM card, where you have to notify the government every time you go somewhere (i.e. TM30), and you have to report your residence every 90 days, but you respect your privacy and freedom so much that you're asking people not to post Facebook links because Facebook is too intrusive. 

4 hours ago, digibum said:

No offense, but this conversation started because you were lecturing this thread about Facebook so you can't quite say that people shouldn't cater to you and then to admonish posters for not catering to you. 

Likewise, I kind of find some irony if you reside in Thailand, the land where they dream about creating a China-like Great Firewall, where information is censored, where everyone has to have their name tied to their SIM card, where you have to notify the government every time you go somewhere (i.e. TM30), and you have to report your residence every 90 days, but you respect your privacy and freedom so much that you're asking people not to post Facebook links because Facebook is too intrusive. 

True enough, but still much less intrusive than my home country. 

What you interpreted as a lecture was clearly a personal opinion and a reminder that if posters want to reach their biggest audience using  other more widely accessible links would be recommended. What if everybody posted their comments on MS Word format that would needed to be downloaded,or photos in TIFF format?

Speaking of irony, I find it ironic that so many people tell me that they don't like Facebook but only use it because their friends do. Hmmmmm. 

I'm quite sure our discussion changed nobody's opinion. At any rate this is a tempest in a teapot.