Larry Tesler has died - "Who?" you might ask.

Crossy

Yes, I read about that yesterday. A person who really did change the way the majority of the world does things. Shame he didn't get his day in the sun with the general population before his passing. But no doubt his peers recognised his contribution.

Brings back memories of learning Fortran on a terminal without even a line editor, the only way to edit what you entered was the backspace key.  Sometimes I still do a lot of backspacing, guess it became a learned instinct.

Ted Nelson is still with us, last time I went to one of his talks was 1995.  He is credited with creating the concept of hypertext, worked closely with Doug Engelbart.

16 hours ago, bendejo said:

Brings back memories of learning Fortran on a terminal without even a line editor, the only way to edit what you entered was the backspace key.  Sometimes I still do a lot of backspacing, guess it became a learned instinct.

Yes I remember that, fortran, Algo, and cobol programming languages, 1968 I was working on a neleack computer at Express dairy UK. Then went to BEA ( now British Airways) running there ICL 1904a & 1901a at Engineering base and cargo centre.

17 hours ago, Jingjock said:

Yes I remember that, fortran, Algo, and cobol programming languages, 1968 I was working on a neleack computer at Express dairy UK. Then went to BEA ( now British Airways) running there ICL 1904a & 1901a at Engineering base and cargo centre.

I used to work on an ICL1904a as well in the late 1970s at a college in Melbourne. ASR33 teletypes were our editing interface. How things have changed!