Wang Prachan, Satun border crossing - warning

Wow! I have ridden through this border to Alor S’tar - that’s a long trek from the border to next town.

Taxi? Lol - I think there is very little chance of a taxi there, maybe at weekends when the market is at full swing.

OP: How was the deal at Padang? Were you directed to sit in the office for an interview with a female superintendent in order to get your stamp? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Wow! I have ridden through this border to Alor S’tar - that’s a long trek from the border to next town.

Taxi? Lol - I think there is very little chance of a taxi there, maybe at weekends when the market is at full swing.

OP: How was the deal at Padang? Were you directed to sit in the office for an interview with a female superintendent in order to get your stamp? 

Padang was a piece of cake. No questions asked by the supervisor in the offices when leaving or coming back in.

Also, I saw three tourists on the Malay side milling about before I went to the duty free shop, I came out and saw them looking a little agitated but as they'd stamped out of Thailand I couldn't help them. 

Edited by schondie

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

I don´t see the problem. If they want you to stay one night, then just do that. Transport??? I am sure they will have a lot of people ready to drive you in what they will call a taxi.

Little chance of getting anywhere as there were no motorcycle taxis or any other kind of public transport available, walking or hitchhiking are the only options. It's a quiet place at the best of times but now it's dead as very few cars were coming through.

23 minutes ago, schondie said:

Little chance of getting anywhere as there were no motorcycle taxis or any other kind of public transport available, walking or hitchhiking are the only options. It's a quiet place at the best of times but now it's dead as very few cars were coming through.

Ok, I´ve never been there. However, I find it very hard to believe that a Thai border crossing is not offering some kind of transportation. I am still pretty sure there are som guys with cars there that can drive you.

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

Have used Wang a few times, never saw a taxi or any transport further into Malaysia

Most borders just have guys that transport you in their own car. They hang around everywhere. There is no problem.

14 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, I´ve never been there. However, I find it very hard to believe that a Thai border crossing is not offering some kind of transportation. I am still pretty sure there are som guys with cars there that can drive you.

This border crossing is not like any of the other ones. On the Thai side there's no transport options as it's 20km from the nearest busy road and likewise on the Malaysian side. 

Even at Padang Besar the motorbike taxis have gone from the Thai side as tourists doing the out-in visa run have dried up. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, schondie said:

This border crossing is not like any of the other ones. On the Thai side there's no transport options as it's 20km from the nearest busy road and likewise on the Malaysian side. 

Even at Padang Besar the motorbike taxis have gone from the Thai side as tourists doing the out-in visa run have dried up. 

Ok, sounds strange. If you say so. Still doubtful.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, MrKFC said:

Right, it's not Thai immigration, it's Malaysia. I assume the Malay Hotel Industry (or somesuch) is paying big bucks to whoever got Malay Immigration to start doing this. 

It’s Thai immigration. there are a few reports about applying to TV holders, it effectively stops the in-out border hoppers.

The Malay immigration at Padang are pretty chilled, In another post the OP says they checked that he would be allowed back into Thailand before stamping an exit stamp and heard that they voided exit stamps so people could go back to Malaysia to spend a night.

it’s been like this for a long while now, but even the Sadao boss said, TV -  night in Malaysia, non-o can re enter on the same day. Wang Prachan were enforcing it a few years ago and then stopped, but never for non-o. The last time I had a ME visa was 14 months ago and rode my bike to the border every 3 months for a year and it was a nice ride and an easy and social border to cross.

I was chatting to a van driver taking tourists from Krabi, he claimed never to have problems, so it maybe worthwhile double checking with a company offering visa runs on the andaman coast. 

• Like 2

I had problems at Kalok or Satun about three years ago, cannot remember now. Just tell the guy to get you a taxi from Thailand. They can cross free, and drove me around until i got things straightened out. Most of the taxi drivers their have the Malaysian tags. The one I used didn't even have to stop in immigration. They waved him thru.

That is the way I handled it. I may have gotten lucky. 

Edited by garyk

I did a border crossing there several years ago (just exiting Thailand and immediately coming back in). I drove myself there. I got there a little before 6pm and was struck by the fact that as far as I could see, there was no one else there except for me and the IO's. Maybe transport further into Malaysia could somehow be arranged, but I wouldn't depend on that without checking to be sure first.

The problem is easy fixed, just take a tent and camp on the lawns of the check point until just after midnight then pack your things and cross back over into Thailand. Don't forget to cook your smelly food so the wind blows it towards the IO.

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

A big problem for those who go on the last day of their visa validity (valid until...).

When there is so much difference between offices and border crossings as well as airports. Then that is well know by know. Only stupid to go the last day.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, Matzzon said:

Most borders just have guys that transport you in their own car. They hang around everywhere. There is no problem.

Haven't biked across that border in ages but that is a very quiet border :Don't think there is much of anything on either side. There used to be a boat from Satun to Kuala Perlis, the first town on the Malaysian side, plenty of hotels there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone visited Padang Besar border just recently, meaning now in March - is it still Ok (overnight stay in Malaysia not required)?

I also used to always visit Wang Prachan but now trying to find an alternative - Not willing to stay overnight (simply no time for that right now). My visa type is Non-O

20 hours ago, Treasureslope said:

Anyone visited Padang Besar border just recently, meaning now in March - is it still Ok (overnight stay in Malaysia not required)?

I also used to always visit Wang Prachan but now trying to find an alternative - Not willing to stay overnight (simply no time for that right now). My visa type is Non-O

Make sure that you show the Malaysian Immigration that you have a Non-O visa and they should stamp you back out but always be prepared for the unexpected so I'd take an overnight bag just in case. 

• 2 years later...