40 to 48 hour fasts

UbonThani

I found I slept much better when I was doing OMAD and 23+ hour fasts.   

I'm about to start another 4 months of One Meal a Day fasting.  Last time I fasted until 6pm then ate one meal.   This time I'm going to eat in the morning instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ideally, it is suggested that the optimum fasting benefit for young healthy people comes from a water only three day fast. Depending on your metabolism and lifestyle, Autophagy kicks in around the end of the first day and peaks by day three. But it is very much an inexact science and would vary from individual to individual.  

A 40 - 48 hour fast, IMO, while straightforward for a normal healthy person NOT on meds -particularly warfarin - is a chore for only a minor benefit. I've carried out fasts that exceed 90 hours and found that a lesser fast works just as well for me - in that a natural weight loss and body cleaning retains good health and energy.   

But with one caveat. For older people, 60+, there is a real danger of losing muscle tissue as well as fat during an extended fast, and, if so, the accelerated weight loss leaves loose skin.  Not a pretty sight. 

Why?

Because people need more protein (and exercise) than the daily recommended amount as they age to keep their muscles active, and not atrophy. A fast could accelerate this natural demise. IMO, I wouldn't risk any fast over three days.

21 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have you tried the 16/8 intermittent fast?  If you haven't fasted before, you should start with 16/8 and work your way up - or, as many people have found 16/8 is good enough and works longer term.

Agreed. I'm on a 19:5 window which suits me fine. Keeps my weight constant at 65 kilos, and providing I keep to my Whole Food Plant Based + B12 nutrition regime, there's no need to count calories, carbs, fats or protein. Eat when I'm hungry, simple low cortisol exercise lifestyle = longevity. 

3 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have you tried the 16/8 intermittent fast?  If you haven't fasted before, you should start with 16/8 and work your way up - or, as many people have found 16/8 is good enough and works longer term.

do 20/4 already

16/8 is too easy

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2020 at 12:14 PM, Stokakrishna said:

16/8 hours fasts are useless.

That's not really true.  Rather than referring to 16/8 as a fast (16 hours of fasting followed by an 8 hour eating window), most think of it as "OMAD", or one-meal-per-day.  The one big benefit of OMAD (if you do it correctly) is that it keeps your insulin levels in check which is not only a very healthy thing to do but it also prevents your fat burning metabolism from declining.  There is sound science to back this up.

By doing it correctly, I mean that your one meal of the day should be well-balanced but minimal in carbohydrates, particularly if those carbs are processed foods. Excessive carbohydrates lead to excessive insulin levels.  Excessive insulin levels lead to insulin receptor insensitivity and THAT is really what causes fat stores to accumulate in the human body.

There is so much misinformation about "why" people get fat, but in the last few years, science has pretty much proven a link between obesity and excessive carbs (not excessive dietary fat).  I know many will debate this, so I leave it up to you to do your own objective research and decide for yourself. 

All I can say is that it works well for me, and before I chose this path I was overweight and pre-diabetic.  Now I am at 11% body fat with no pre-diabetic symptoms.

Personally I do OMAD and suffer no lack of energy or hunger, even though I am very active during the day.  I'm an avid cyclist and ride about 100km daily, usually 5 days a week.  I've never had to resort to carb-loading during rides either.  OMAD takes some getting used to but after a week or two, your body adapts just fine.

Naturally, you should be in reasonably good health before embarking on OMAD so if you have any pre-existing medical conditions you should talk to your physician first, but otherwise, IMO, it is a very healthy lifestyle choice.

Oh, and one last thing...I've found that OMAD combined with controlled carb intake lets me sleep like a baby!  The only time I have sleep disorders is if I slip up and "pig out" on bad carbs...like a trip to McDonalds or I indulge in a pizza, which i love to do on occasion ????

PS:  LOL, so funny, as soon as I edited this, adding that I occasionally indulge in Pizza, a pop-up ad appeared below my post for a Pizza Delivery service.  Hahaha!!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

There are a LOT of misconceptions about what happens in the human body during a fast.  The idea that you lose muscle, even during a prolonged fast is actually quite incorrect.  The human body responds to the fasted state in distinct stages that are quite complex but protein sparing mechanisms are a big part of it.

If you really want to know the science (rather than the myths), there is a really good science-based overview of those stages that are fairly easy reading at the following link, and it is mostly based on on the research of Dr. George F Cahill, who is the accepted source when it comes to nutritional deprivation in humans.

https://derangedphysiology.com/main/required-reading/endocrinology-metabolism-and-nutrition/Chapter 318/physiological-adaptation-prolonged-starvation

On 5/5/2020 at 6:29 PM, WaveHunter said:

That's not really true.  Rather than referring to 16/8 as a fast (16 hours of fasting followed by an 8 hour eating window), most think of it as "OMAD", or one-meal-per-day.  The one big benefit of OMAD (if you do it correctly) is that it keeps your insulin levels in check which is not only a very healthy thing to do but it also prevents your fat burning metabolism from declining.  There is sound science to back this up.

By doing it correctly, I mean that your one meal of the day should be well-balanced but minimal in carbohydrates, particularly if those carbs are processed foods. Excessive carbohydrates lead to excessive insulin levels.  Excessive insulin levels lead to insulin receptor insensitivity and THAT is really what causes fat stores to accumulate in the human body.

There is so much misinformation about "why" people get fat, but in the last few years, science has pretty much proven a link between obesity and excessive carbs (not excessive dietary fat).  I know many will debate this, so I leave it up to you to do your own objective research and decide for yourself. 

All I can say is that it works well for me, and before I chose this path I was overweight and pre-diabetic.  Now I am at 11% body fat with no pre-diabetic symptoms.

Personally I do OMAD and suffer no lack of energy or hunger, even though I am very active during the day.  I'm an avid cyclist and ride about 100km daily, usually 5 days a week.  I've never had to resort to carb-loading during rides either.  OMAD takes some getting used to but after a week or two, your body adapts just fine.

Naturally, you should be in reasonably good health before embarking on OMAD so if you have any pre-existing medical conditions you should talk to your physician first, but otherwise, IMO, it is a very healthy lifestyle choice.

Oh, and one last thing...I've found that OMAD combined with controlled carb intake lets me sleep like a baby!  The only time I have sleep disorders is if I slip up and "pig out" on bad carbs...like a trip to McDonalds or I indulge in a pizza, which i love to do on occasion ????

PS:  LOL, so funny, as soon as I edited this, adding that I occasionally indulge in Pizza, a pop-up ad appeared below my post for a Pizza Delivery service.  Hahaha!!

16/8 is 2 mad

20/4 is omad

On 2/21/2020 at 9:10 AM, UbonThani said:

Thinking about trying them but worried about sleep. Any tips?

What's the point of a 40 to 48 hour fasts?

Some time ago I fasted two or three weeks. Only water. No problem, no hunger.

In the first 3 days everybody loses a lot of weight. But the same weight is back again when you start eating.

So what the point? Surely not losing weight?!

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the point of a 40 to 48 hour fasts?

Some time ago I fasted two or three weeks. Only water. No problem, no hunger.

In the first 3 days everybody loses a lot of weight. But the same weight is back again when you start eating.

So what the point? Surely not losing weight?!

renegerates the cells

Just now, BKKrichard said:

I find that Carnivore-Omad gives me the best result-health-energy level, weight loss & balanced weight. No carb cravings!
48-Hour once a month fast I do water and coffee. Never felt better.

what carnivore stuff do u eat?

3 minutes ago, BKKrichard said:

Eggs and cheese perfectly fits in with Carnivore, just not for me. If you do cheese, go for the mature cheese.

ok

just thought maybe some reason

i like em both

cheese omelette with oysters is packed with nutrients

like beef mince and cheap too

1 minute ago, UbonThani said:

ok

just thought maybe some reason

i like em both

cheese omelette with oysters is packed with nutrients

like beef mince and cheap too

Yes for me, I get rash from both eggs and cheese. I guess 10 years taking meds for T2D did not do much good. Of the meds and T2D now for over 2 years.

oysters seafood, all great, personally I avoid farmed fish as practically no upsides on the nutritional values. Beef mince for sure as well as beef liver.
I try to avoid sauces and oils, yes also olive oil. Why use oil, if you can use rendered lard and tallow, seasalt and a bit of black pepper.