BANGKOK
UbonThani

40 to 48 hour fasts

I found I slept much better when I was doing OMAD and 23+ hour fasts.   

I'm about to start another 4 months of One Meal a Day fasting.  Last time I fasted until 6pm then ate one meal.   This time I'm going to eat in the morning instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you tried the 16/8 intermittent fast?  If you haven't fasted before, you should start with 16/8 and work your way up - or, as many people have found 16/8 is good enough and works longer term.

• Like 2

The most I can do is 24 hours, I don't think I could do a 40 hour or more.

Most days I do 18/6 anyway, that works for me. If I do OMAD I find it easies to eat half way through the day usually around 3 or 3 PM.

Good luck.

Ideally, it is suggested that the optimum fasting benefit for young healthy people comes from a water only three day fast. Depending on your metabolism and lifestyle, Autophagy kicks in around the end of the first day and peaks by day three. But it is very much an inexact science and would vary from individual to individual.  

A 40 - 48 hour fast, IMO, while straightforward for a normal healthy person NOT on meds -particularly warfarin - is a chore for only a minor benefit. I've carried out fasts that exceed 90 hours and found that a lesser fast works just as well for me - in that a natural weight loss and body cleaning retains good health and energy.   

But with one caveat. For older people, 60+, there is a real danger of losing muscle tissue as well as fat during an extended fast, and, if so, the accelerated weight loss leaves loose skin.  Not a pretty sight. 

Why?

Because people need more protein (and exercise) than the daily recommended amount as they age to keep their muscles active, and not atrophy. A fast could accelerate this natural demise. IMO, I wouldn't risk any fast over three days.

21 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have you tried the 16/8 intermittent fast?  If you haven't fasted before, you should start with 16/8 and work your way up - or, as many people have found 16/8 is good enough and works longer term.

Agreed. I'm on a 19:5 window which suits me fine. Keeps my weight constant at 65 kilos, and providing I keep to my Whole Food Plant Based + B12 nutrition regime, there's no need to count calories, carbs, fats or protein. Eat when I'm hungry, simple low cortisol exercise lifestyle = longevity. 

what do they achieve? i've heard it can kill chronic bateria problems but not sure if it's true

19 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

what do they achieve? i've heard it can kill chronic bateria problems but not sure if it's true

Gives you really bad breath !!! Apparently a side effect of Ketosis ??

Mmm! Probably best not to eat anything!.......🤣🤣🤣

Edited by SunsetT

3 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

do 20/4 already

16/8 is too easy

You will sleep better actually as your body will start  healing while fasting.

Don't lots of 24  and 48 hours fastings  (only drinking water)

The longest I've ever done was 7 days on water

On 2/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, UbonThani said:

do 20/4 already

16/8 is too easy

16/8 hours fasts are useless.