40 to 48 hour fasts

UbonThani

On 5/10/2020 at 4:51 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

What's the point of a 40 to 48 hour fasts?

Some time ago I fasted two or three weeks. Only water. No problem, no hunger.

In the first 3 days everybody loses a lot of weight. But the same weight is back again when you start eating.

So what the point? Surely not losing weight?!

The point is that even a 48 hour fast has an effect on your metabolic mechanisms, improving your fat burning ability even after the fast ends.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

The point is that even a 48 hour fast has an effect on your metabolic mechanisms, improving your fat burning ability even after the fast ends.

Yeah I read that before also. However, I should meniton it was just for a morning workout. For example, don't eat before your morning workout. I forgot and not sure whether coffee is okay. No adds.

Edited by Solinvictus

On 2/24/2020 at 12:14 PM, Stokakrishna said:

16/8 hours fasts are useless.

All fasts are useless.

If people want to get healthy and loose weight, simply eat healthy food and consume less than 1500 calories each day. 

It's almost as if some of you people are suffering from eating disorders. 

No need to starve yourselves and feel hungry.

Our bodies need fibre, vitamins and minerals....plus essential amino acids to stay healthy. Starving regularly for days at a time then going back to normal less than healthy diet will lead to malnutrition. 

Why do you want to put yourselves in discomfort when there is no need? 

Op, you want to go three days or more to hit ketosis-proper and activate the chasing down of <deleted> in the body for energy. It's a clever and logical system. First couple days always hardest since you'll be 'starving' but gets easier after that. But you should ramp into and out of it steadily - get into smoothies etc - and research first if any medical conditions. 

Along with possibly not being able to smell food through inflammation when sick, believe another reason we lose taste is because body does not want food as it is trying to repair itself. Animals do this without a second thought. Shovel shed-loads of gunk in there while sick and more energy is wasted in digesting it.

People balk at fasting as new age tripe, but it's nothing new. Humans surely wouldn't have gotten this far if the body didn't know how to fix itself. Unfortunately, we've forgotten how/overlooked it in favour of pharma and being too busy. 

Good book by Joel Furhman: Fasting and Eating for Health.

I can recommend the 5:2 diet , 500 calories or less twice per week.
Under 2500 calories rest of the days.  

It's not hard to do for weeks or months, and your brain will adapt so you will not feel hungry , Just need to pick the right food to eat. And drink a lot of water. I eat carrots to fill up my stomach , very few calories in it.   Or an oat meal is less than 200 calories. 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:12 PM, Solinvictus said:

Yeah I read that before also. However, I should meniton it was just for a morning workout. For example, don't eat before your morning workout. I forgot and not sure whether coffee is okay. No adds.

Well, there's more to it than that.  These days people eat such a carb-rich diet that the body loses its' ability to properly access and metabolize stored body fat. The metabolic pathways become altered in a negative way.

A short fast as little as 48 hours depletes insulin levels and forces the body to access stored body fat as fuel.  In essence, it re-establishes those metabolic pathways.  Even after you begin to eat again, those pathways remain active, where before they had become dormant, so to speak.

If you do such a fast on a regular basis, say once a month, and avoid excessive carbs, particularly those in processed foods such as high fructose corn syrup) the rest of the month, it's all you really need to do to keep those metabolic pathways optimal, and thereby gradually lose accumulated body-fat effortlessly, and for real . 

Such fasting shouldn't really be looked at as a way to lose weight quick, but rather to optimize your metabolic health.  Long term loss of stored body fast is just a by-product of that, not the goal

It's referred to as "fat-adaptation".

I posted a good link in a previous post that explains it very well.  It's based on the research of Dr. George F Cahill, who is probably the most acknowledged scientist in the study of nutritional deprivation in humans.  It's fascinating stuff to know compared to all the myths and guru-speak that floats around on the internet these days.

Physiological adaptation to prolonged starvation

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2020 at 1:29 AM, jak2002003 said:

All fasts are useless.

If people want to get healthy and loose weight, simply eat healthy food and consume less than 1500 calories each day. 

It's almost as if some of you people are suffering from eating disorders. 

No need to starve yourselves and feel hungry.

Our bodies need fibre, vitamins and minerals....plus essential amino acids to stay healthy. Starving regularly for days at a time then going back to normal less than healthy diet will lead to malnutrition. 

Why do you want to put yourselves in discomfort when there is no need? 

Not true at all.  Caloric deprivation simply does not work for most dieters.  Most will initially lose weight and then gain it all back again.  It's not that they lack the willpower to diet; it's because caloric-restriction alone simply does not work.  Excessive calories are not the problem; excessive carbohydrates are!  

Why do you think there is an obesity and diabetes epidemic today?  It's not because people eat more than they used to; it is because they massively over consume processed foods which are composed primarily of carbohydrates.  THAT is where the problem really is...massively excessive amounts of carbohydrates

The key to losing excess body fat has more to do with altering metabolic pathways by controlling the type of foods you eat, not simply by cutting calories.  

The goal of fasting is not to lose fat.  The goal of fasting is to alter metabolic pathways that allow the body to properly access and metabolize stored body fat.  Body fat reduction is simply the by-product, NOT the goal.  The goal of fasting is restoration of functional metabolic pathways that excessive carbohydrates have essentially shut down.

If dysfunctional metabolic pathways are not restored, no amount of caloric restriction is going to do anything beneficial. 

There is undeniable science behind this.  For anyone interested in knowing the science rather than the outdated myths, you really should become informed from science-based sources.

I posted a good link in a previous post that explains it very well.  Don't let the title throw you.  read it with an open and inquiring mind.  It's based on the research of Dr. George F Cahill, who is probably the most acknowledged scientist in the study of human metabolic physiology and biochemistry.  It's fascinating stuff to know compared to all the outdated dieting myths and guru-speak that floats around on the internet these days.

Physiological adaptation to prolonged starvation

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

once a day if eating daily

Noted.  I find sometimes i eat 3 meals and snack in between meals then will eat very little the next day or 2.  Food isn't a "vice" of mine, unless you call the contents of a long neck stubby a "liquid lunch" ???? 

9 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

look at 20/4 fasts on youtube

its easier than it sounds

coffee kills hunger

Just starting this myself. Having previously done a couple 72hr fasts this year.

I will give this a go for a week or so and see what results are.