BANGKOK
webfact

Irish cyclist (42) dies following accident in Thailand

Irish cyclist (42) dies following accident in Thailand

Shane Phelan

SN-John-Myles-2.jpg

John Martyn (42) from Ballinderreen, Co Galway, who died in a cycling accident in Thailand on February 9.

AN IRISH man has died in a cycling accident in Thailand.

John Martyn (42) is believed to have collided with a vehicle while descending in mountainous terrain near Chiang Mai in the north of the country.

The accident happened after he extended a cycling holiday after travel restrictions were imposed due to the coronavirus outbreak in China.

From a farm family in Ballinderreen, Co Galway, he had been living in Beijing in recent years and worked as a counsellor in a school there.

Full story: https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-cyclist-42-dies-following-accident-in-thailand-38975578.html

-- Independent 2020-02-21

• Sad 4

13 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

To see his bicycle which is a road bicycle, I think that once again the author of the article has mixed his pedals (sic);
It certainly did not happen off track or vehicles are very rare and drivers always do what they can to avoid us, we cyclists, by stopping when necessary.
With this type of bicycle, one wisely stays on paved roads; even if wisely can sometimes go at high speeds.
When I descend the Doi Suthep, I often drive at more than 60 km / h and I overtake the Thai people who brake in all corners while the slopes are far from being severe.

RIP my fellow friend I did knew 

It's actually a hobby that I am very interested in! 

Rest in peace to this poor guy, I know this area 

• Like 1

Another preventable death, RIP. 

It’s a tragedy he died this way but cycling on Thai roads is not a smart thing to do.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, impulse said:

Tragic accident. 

bicycling myself for a decade in Thailand now.  Always a pleasure and feel completely safe though...

that said, i bike in the city, not from descending mountains on top speed. 

• Like 2

Yes, tragic accident—my condolences.  I take my mountain bike along the dirt roads each day.  Not as fast, but very few cars and trucks.  And chickens and gwua Are never drunk on the road...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, balo said:

Another preventable death, RIP. 

Death is not preventable... we all go in the end, it's just the timing that changes.
[but I know what you mean]

• Like 1