Tranfer Non O/A to an O for marriage

I am planning to go to HCMC and apply for an Non O for marriage in the future.  I am currently on an extension of stay from a Non O./A which expires on 27 Jul 20.  I am also going to the US to visit family in April and have a re-entry permit already.  My question is when in Jul can I leave Thailand and get rid of the Non 0/A and apply for the Non O.   If I leave on or about the 27 of July I will lose a day because the consulate will be closed on the 28th for the Kings Birthday.   Leaving Thailand a week earlier would be ideal for me.  Is this a problem?  Will I lose my O/A once I leave Thailand without an re-entry permit?  Thank you.

Will you have a single or multiple re-entry permit when you make you trip to the states?

If a single re-entry permit there would not be a problem to apply for a single entry non-o visa the week before your current extension expires. Another option would be to apply for a extension with no supporting documents, pay the 1900 baht fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country.

You could check with your local immigration office to find out if they will change the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage to a Thai. No need to get a non-o visa if they will do it.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a retirement extension of stay that expires on 13 Sep; I also have a multi-re-entry permit. My plan is to go to Saigon towards the expiration date of the one-year extension of stay/re-entry permit -- but I'd like to go maybe a week or two before it expires. Question: Will the Saigon consulate give me a Non Imm O visa (I have all the supporting married to a Thai supporting documents) one or two weeks before my extension expires? And if so, when I return to Thailand, will I (or can I?) be stamped in under the new Non Imm O visa for 90 days -- or will they stamp me in for the few remaining days on my exension/re-entry permit?

I would assume the answer to the above would also apply should I want to go to Saigon one or two MONTHS prior to the extension expiring....?

Thanx.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

I'm in a similar situation.

As UbonJoe already mentioned, there is no need to exit Thailand to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa abroad and subsequently apply in-country for a 1-year extension of that Visa. 

It is much simpler to apply for an extension of stay based on your present OA Visa, but this time not for reason of retirement but for reason of marriage.

It is foreseen in the IO rules/regulations and several original OA Visa holders have switched already to an extension for reason of marriage, instead of one for reason of retirement (the latter requires the #$%^ thai IO-approved health-insurance).  However some rogue IOs refuse to do this, and in that case you are indeed forced to exit Thailand and make the detour of applying for a 90-day Non Imm O- marriage Visa and subsequently applying for an extension of that Visa.

• Thanks 1

I want to leave Thailand and get an Non O for marriage around 19 Jul 20.  I will have no re-entry permit at that time.  My extension of stay ends 27 Jul 20.  Can I leave Thailand on the 19th of July and apply for an Non 0 on the 20th of Jul?  I do not want an Non O/A for marriage.

13 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I want to leave Thailand and get an Non O for marriage around 19 Jul 20.  I will have no re-entry permit at that time.  My extension of stay ends 27 Jul 20.  Can I leave Thailand on the 19th of July and apply for an Non 0 on the 20th of Jul?  I do not want an Non O/A for marriage.

Yes:

There are a couple of ways you can do it:

1: Go outside Thailand and get a 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa and then before that expires apply for an extension based on marriage to a Thai National. This extension requires you to have 400000 baht seasoned in the Thai bank for 2 months before your application of the extension or a minimum of 40000 baht for month international transfers and you must do your 90 day reports to your local immigration office.

2: Go to either Savannakhet, Laos or HCMC, Vietnam and apply for a 1 year Non-Imm "O" visa multi entry based on marriage to a Thai National. This visa application at Savannakhet requires no financials but you are required to leave Thailand every 90 days (border run). If you choose this method then 2 days before your visa expires you do another border run you will receive another 90 day stamp which will give you a total of 15 months plus if just before that 90 days expires you can go and get a 60 day extension. So you can get a total of up to 17 months from the 1 application.

You can leave Thailand and get your Non-Imm"O" visa without having to get a re-entry permit as you will be entering Thailand on a new visa. 

• Like 1

Correct information, some comments/options added.

16 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Yes:

There are a couple of ways you can do it:

1: Go outside Thailand and get a 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa and then before that expires apply for an extension based on marriage to a Thai National. This extension requires you to have 400000 baht seasoned in the Thai bank for 2 months before your application of the extension or a minimum of 40000 baht for month international transfers and you must do your 90 day reports to your local immigration office.

You need to exit Thailand (in order to 'kill' your present permission to stay), but need not necessarily apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa in a neighboring country.  You can also - after returning VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa - apply in Thailand at your local IO.  

Link to the requirements > https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

Note that also the monthly-funds-transfer (min 40.000 THB/month) method is allowed, but not yet mentioned in the requirements from the Immigration website, and that you won't need 12 months of transfers to be proven (as it is a NEW application).

17 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

2: Go to either Savannakhet, Laos or HCMC, Vietnam and apply for a 1 year Non-Imm "O" visa multi entry based on marriage to a Thai National. This visa application at Savannakhet requires no financials but you are required to leave Thailand every 90 days (border run). If you choose this method then 2 days before your visa expires you do another border run you will receive another 90 day stamp which will give you a total of 15 months plus if just before that 90 days expires you can go and get a 60 day extension. So you can get a total of up to 17 months from the 1 application.

You can leave Thailand and get your Non-Imm"O" visa without having to get a re-entry permit as you will be entering Thailand on a new visa. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Correct information, some comments/options added.

You need to exit Thailand (in order to 'kill' your present permission to stay), but need not necessarily apply for the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa in a neighboring country.  You can also - after returning VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa - apply in Thailand at your local IO.  

Link to the requirements >

Note that also the monthly-funds-transfer (min 40.000 THB/month) method is allowed, but not yet mentioned in the requirements from the Immigration website, and that you won't need 12 months of transfers to be proven (as it is a NEW application).

Why do you try to confuse things when the simple fact is that if you leave the country it is easier to get your 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa from the country that you have gone to instead of all the stuff that you are saying about coming back into Thailand on a visa exempt then applying here for the 90 day Non-Imm "O' visa and if you bothered to read my post I stated that you could use the 40000 baht monthly income. 

Applicants wishing to stay in the Kingdom longer than 90 days have to file their application either at the Thai consular mission aboard or at the Office of Immigration Bureau in Bangkok located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889

This is the link from MFA. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You should read the last Police Order which is what immigration work by. Here is a lead to the latest Police Order.

You need to do a bit more research before you post because you do not have all the information that is available. Go to this link and you will find a lot more information that you are missing.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Applicants wishing to stay in the Kingdom longer than 90 days have to file their application either at the Thai consular mission aboard or at the Office of Immigration Bureau in Bangkok located on Government Center B, Chaengwattana Soi 7, Laksi, Bangkok 10210, Tel 0-2141-9889

False info from the MFA website. There are almost 80 immigration offices where extension can be apply for now.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

False info from the MFA website. There are almost 80 immigration offices where extension can be apply for now.

Sorry ubon but are we talking about the same thing because I am talking about the 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa application and not the extensions. 

3 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Sorry ubon but are we talking about the same thing because I am talking about the 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa application and not the extensions. 

It is the same for non immigrant visa applications. All local immigration offices can now accept the application that are then sent for approval at the Immigration Division headquarters for where they are located.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Why do you try to confuse things when the simple fact is that if you leave the country it is easier to get your 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa from the country that you have gone to instead of all the stuff that you are saying about coming back into Thailand on a visa exempt then applying here for the 90 day Non-Imm "O' visa and if you bothered to read my post I stated that you could use the 40000 baht monthly income. 

This is the link from MFA. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

You should read the last Police Order which is what immigration work by. Here is a lead to the latest Police Order.

You need to do a bit more research before you post because you do not have all the information that is available. Go to this link and you will find a lot more information that you are missing.

Why such an aggressive attack on my post?

You provided correct information in your initial post, and I only added some additional info of relevance.

But I do not agree with your present post in which you state that applying abroad for the Non Imm O Visa is easier than doing it in-country.  After doing a same-day border-run you can apply in-country at your local IO which will often be far more convenient than applying at the thai embassy/consulate of the neighboring country.

It has also been pointed out already many times on the Forum that unfortunately the information on the MFA website is incorrect.  It is definitely possible to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO.

Re the monthly-fund-transfers, I only added that you do not necessarily need 12 months of such transfers when applying as it is a new application.

Thanks for the link to the regulations, but already often browsed that thread when doing my research.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the same for non immigrant visa applications. All local immigration offices can now accept the application that are then sent for approval at the Immigration Division headquarters for where they are located.

thanks for that ubon much appreciated info

19 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

It is much simpler to apply for an extension of stay based on your present OA Visa, but this time not for reason of retirement but for reason of marriage.

Sorry, Peter -- let's look at the contrast:

APPLY FOR MARRIAGE EXTENSION OFF OF NON IMM O-A VISA:

Disadvantages:

1. As my marriage certificate is from the US, I now have to go thru the paperwork goat rope of obtaining a Thai marriage certificate, i.e., a Kor Ror 22

........A: Need to go to US Embassy or Consulate in Chiang Mai to have an affidavit as to the legality of my US marriage certificate, and current status of marriage (plan on a several day trip, if you don't live in these places, to accomplish). This, maybe, isn't enough, as some (like stalwart Lopburi3 have mentioned) has matastasized to requiring US Dept of State certification of US marriage license. What those steps are, I hesitate to investigate..... For now, let's say just the affidavit will suffice.

.......B:  After the Consulate/Embassy visit, need to translate these documents; then visit MFA (or have an agent mail) for certification; then visit your local Amphur to obtain your Kor Ror 22. Some amphurs require a certificate of authenticity of your passport. So, prepare to do this with your visit to the Embassy/Consulate. May require two days/two appointments, as two separate events (affidavit and certification of passport). Plus, I won't mention any costs here, as my later "vacation trip to Saigon" makes any comparison moot. Anyway, visit to amphur, have to dig up two witnesses to accompany you, then, hopefully, a Kor Ror 22.

.......C: Off to Immigration for your extension of stay, but now requiring your wife (hopefully ambulatory) to accompany you, plus bring photographs of marital co-habitation, her documents, etc. No big deal, actually, including Immigration's visit to your digs to check out authenticity: I can handle a 30 minute intrusion, plus gas money to secure a favorable report. I just don't like having to return to Immigration after 30 days to get the extension (i.e., unlike for retirement, I need TWO trips to Immigration, with parking and waiting times doubled).

Advantages:

1. Only need 400k in bank, not 800k

........A: The 800k I already have here is a sunk cost. CD rates in the US are now, again, so minimal, that the opportunity cost of having that money here, rather than there, is insignificant. Plus, this sunk cost aids in my estate settlement, with this money more readily available to be distributed to my Thai heirs, rather than have it distributed thru a US probate process to, eventually, arrive in Thailand -- after a ridiculous lawyer fee (POD to Thai beneficiaries not available without SSNs, which I can't obtain for them -- so, bring the money to Thailand before you croak).

................... Bottom line: For me, there is no advantage from going to the 800k limit to the 400k limit. Actually, looking at bringing more to adjust estate fairness between US and Thai nephews.

........B: Don't need to leave Thailand.

......................Ok, if traveling is your nemesis. But, for those of us living in big cities with international flights readily available, "no need to leave Thailand" rings hollow in most scenarios. Of course, if you're physically disabled, then, yes, not having to leave Thailand has its advantages. And the physically abled part of this discussion will be addressed later.

LEAVE COUNTRY AND APPLY FOR A NON IMM O BASED ON MARRIED TO A THAI

Disadvantages:

1. Need to buy airline tickets, hotel reservations, and get a visa for the country you're going to (I'm using going to Saigon in my example)

.......... Tickets and evisa to Vietnam readily available online, as are hotels near Thai consulate in Saigon -- thus, no big deal.

........... Having to go twice to the Thai consulate (deliver and retrieve next day documents) involves time -- but transportation reportedly no problem, as are no reports of bureaucratic BS (required paperwork for the Non Imm O based on a Thai wife very straightforward. And, no reported waiting lines at the consulate).

Advantages (in comparison with getting a marriage extension):

1. For me, forgetting about all the visits, paperwork, witnesses, processing, etc -- not to mention expense (which is of no real concern) -- to get a Kor Ror 22

2. No marriage related <deleted>, like photographs, government visitation, two trips to Immigration (come back after 30 days), and having the wife accompany me. No big deal now, but should she become incapacitated for further extension renewals, now what?

3.  Which leads to the biggest concern: Wife dies, I'm now a widower, and thus no longer eligible for marriage extensions. But, by this time, I'm probably not capable of doing a border hop for a Non Imm O visa, and subsequent retirement extension. Thus,  biggest reason I see for not going the marriage extension route, particularly if there are better alternatives, as I believe I have offered...

Conclusion:

Take a vacation to Saigon, spend a morning, and the next afternoon, minimally visiting the Thai consulate. Renew seeing what you can remember of Saigon from 50 years ago. Return to Thailand, get stamped in for 90 days, visit Immigration in that last 30 days for your one-year retirement extension (or get a ME Non Imm O in Saigon, giving you options for more vacations before getting the retirement extension, should the lines at Immigration have become intolerable).

Anyway, that's my take on my situation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Anyway, that's my take on my situation.

Hi Jim,

I am sorry to say so, but there is a fatal flaw in your comparison.

You are comparing

- an extension of stay for reason of marriage based on your original Non Imm OA Visa

with

- a 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa acquired in a neighboring country.

The point is of course that once you are back in Thailand  with that 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa , that you would need to extend it in the last month of those 90 days.

And the requirements for that extension are EXACTLY the same as for an extension for reason of marriage based on the Non Imm OA Visa.

So by leaving Thailand and getting the 90-day Non Imm O - marriage abroad, you actually make a de-tour and you will be confronted with the same requirements for the extension 2-3 months later.

Of course you could consider instead of applying for a 90-day single-entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa, to apply for the 1-year multi-entry Non Imm O - marriage Visa.  That 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa, allows you to stay 90 days in Thailand after which you need to do a border-run, and on return you will once again be stamped in for 90 days.  You can also extend every entry of such 90-day permission to stay at any IO for 60 days (again no financials needed to be proven).  That allows you to squeeze almost 17 months of stay out of that 1-year ME Non Imm O - marriage Visa.

And you can of course also decide to apply for the 1-year extension of stay from that Non Imm O - marriage Visa, but then you would be again in the same boat of requirements as for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa extension or the OA Visa extension for reason of marriage.

So if you don't mind the 3-monthly (or 5 monthly when extended) border-runs, that Visa might be preferable for you over the 1-year extension of stay for reason of marriage based on your present Non Imm OA Visa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

The point is of course that once you are back in Thailand  with that 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa , that you would need to extend it in the last month of those 90 days.

And the requirements for that extension are EXACTLY the same as for an extension for reason of marriage based on the Non Imm OA Visa.

Maybe the confusion is terminology. The Non Imm O visa obtained in Saigon is not a Non Imm O - marriage visa per se -- but a visa obtained by virtue of having a Thai wife. However, having obtained this Non Imm O visa in Saigon, to replace my my Non Imm O-A visa -- I'm then free and clear to once again obtain a one year extension based on RETIREMENT, but without the health insurance requirement. Obviously, if the final result was to have to get a marriage extension (with all the short falls I mentioned), I certainly wouldn't take the trip to Saigon. Bottom line: My plan will get me back on the retirement extension track, but without the health insurance -- plus, will keep me from having to get the less desirable marriage extension to avoid the health insurance.

Oh, and getting a Non Imm O by going airport to airport is superior, for me, to doing a road trip to get a visa exempt entry at the border -- which would then require two trips to Immigration -- the TM87 drill then the extension drill; and as I've said, minimizing my interface with CM Immigration is part of the plan (of course if somehow I get refused in Saigon, I'll still have the visa exempt/TM87 option -- win win).

Edited by JimGant

9 hours ago, JimGant said:

Bottom line: My plan will get me back on the retirement extension track, but without the health insurance -- plus, will keep me from having to get the less desirable marriage extension to avoid the health insurance.

The plan you describe to avoid the thai IO-approyved health-insurance (mandatory when extending the stay from your original Non Imm OA Visa for reason of retirement) and switching to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa extension, will work.

There are many other options to do this, but when your plan is most convenient for your situation (avoiding the extra paperwork for a marriage Visa/extension in-country, preferring an airport exit/re-entry, limiting contact with your local IO as much as possible), by all means go for it.

Cheers and success!

• Like 1