Pattaya tourism: If you think it's quiet now wait for the next six months - grim predictions from industry leader

webfact

19 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

No worries. Beach sport championships, marching band festivals, mass Indian weddings, hordes of Russian millionaires, Thai families (actually families from around the whole world) are all coming to rescue!

Time to start building more hotels, more condos, more malls - more of everything.

this will have to wait a while until corona issue is more clear.

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

well it is a very small bar scene here. What takes maybe 10 minutes on Thai Friendly in Pattaya or Soi 6 takes about two weeks of searching in Hua Hin if your very lucky. That being said, there has been a uptick in the quality of girls in Hua Hin over that past six years. But there is a lot of competition.

a slightly (not very) chunky monkey in early 30s for a couple of days should be do able. Make sure you check all of Soi 80 and the Hut Bar where you will be torn apart like fresh meat as well as the obvious Bintabaht area. and massage girls on Soi 94. Go to Pat's massage on Soi 94 and ask for Da. If she asks you if you want to take a shower first say yes. If you can stand loud music then at 10pm Panama Bar, Ibiza Bar and freelancers at the Hilton after 11:30pm and Cat Bar after 1am.     

sorry I don't really know much about this. just what I read on the internet.

Once you get over 10k rep the Rule 7 exemption clause no doubt kicks in. I have a long way to go ! You seem to spend a lot of time on the Patts subforum for a HuaHinite - is it boring there or something ? (Goes there to have a look). 

Had a look - yup it's dullsville can see why you prefer it over here !

Edited by URMySunshine

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I would say, look out for the next years, as long as the Thai Bhat is overrated and inflated...it will make the Corona desert seem like peanuts.

more likely it is the corona situation that is holding people up from travelling. 

• Like 1

Was quite surprised to hear today the World Health Organisation (of which i rarely pay any attention) saying we are very nearly the turning point of controlling the spread of this virus. 77, 000 cases and 2200 dead already....... reckon it's not just LOS that's gonna suffer from a lack of tourism... we're all, regardless of location could suffer from this....

Comments welcome!

it gives time to the thai government,think about,how to treat guest!!especially western tourist and residents!

all they they create a new nonsense roul,to make them angry and bad feeling.

hope,tourist will not come back to fast.missing money seems to be the only lesson they understand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whooshbang said:

Was quite surprised to hear today the World Health Organisation (of which i rarely pay any attention) saying we are very nearly the turning point of controlling the spread of this virus. 77, 000 cases and 2200 dead already....... reckon it's not just LOS that's gonna suffer from a lack of tourism... we're all, regardless of location could suffer from this....

Comments welcome!

Sadly I fear so. The WHO chooses it's words carefully so this is diplomat's speak for things are looking bad globally. This is not just 'another flu outbreak' as China's unprecedented response and now Korea with  a virtual city lockdown of 2.5 million people shows. 

What did the WHO chief say?
Dr Tedros said the number of coronavirus cases outside China was "relatively small" but the pattern of infection was worrying.

"We are concerned about the number of cases with no clear epidemiological link, such as travel history to or contact with a confirmed case," he said.

The new deaths and infections in Iran were "very concerning", he said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

There has been a lot of Russians around this year, one block of condo's near where I live is like little Moscow 

They are a pretty robust demographic - not necessarily big spender individually but collectively a pretty big wedge of chump change. Here in Jomtien they probably are close to 90% of the market 

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Watch the  case totals coming out of Iran very closely, especially the Tehran cases. For Thailand's sake, there had better not be any who visited Thailand.

TBH it's a highly contagious virus with a long incubation time and with a large percentage of carriers with little or no symptoms (see the Diamond Princess cases). Governments are now playing for time to come up with cures and in the longer term a vaccine and get their health systems prepared for inundation of cases. Globally it is now pretty much a case of not if but when. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, adammike said:

The snowbirds usually leave the end of February first week in march, so by the second week in march there should be a noticeable difference especially in Jomtien.

Ah so now I know I'm a "snowbird" arrive December leave March just to avoid the miserable European winters, thanks for that.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Watch the  case totals coming out of Iran very closely, especially the Tehran cases. For Thailand's sake, there had better not be any who visited Thailand.

I know of 5 who are coming from Iran in April

9 minutes ago, NRGF said:

Ah so now I know I'm a "snowbird" arrive December leave March just to avoid the miserable European winters, thanks for that.

You are that but it is different from a snowflake which is a pejorative term - snowbird is not, it just shows you are wised up !

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

well it is a very small bar scene here. What takes maybe 10 minutes on Thai Friendly in Pattaya or Soi 6 takes about two weeks of searching in Hua Hin if your very lucky. That being said, there has been a uptick in the quality of girls in Hua Hin over that past six years. But there is a lot of competition.

a slightly (not very) chunky monkey in early 30s for a couple of days should be do able. Make sure you check all of Soi 80 and the Hut Bar where you will be torn apart like fresh meat as well as the obvious Bintabaht area. and massage girls on Soi 94. Go to Pat's massage on Soi 94 and ask for Da. If she asks you if you want to take a shower first say yes. If you can stand loud music then at 10pm Panama Bar, Ibiza Bar and freelancers at the Hilton after 11:30pm and Cat Bar after 1am.     

sorry I don't really know much about this. just what I read on the internet.

You said Hua Hin was full of white DNA.   I think by chunky monkey he was referring to a white woman.  How much of the white DNS in Hua Hin are women in their late 30's and early 40's as those are my target.

There are still some brave tourists in Thailand from Russia, and Europe, but in my

2 trips to Pattaya, I seen many beaches without tourists. Many expats are seen everywhere

as they also spend some time near the beaches. Jomtien beach was like that as well. The

night market still get many people who do not eat at their homes, still many familiar

faces there as well.  That is what some posters on this forum forget, they are not the

only expats staying 5 to 6 months each year in Thailand.  I am in Hua Hin now and the 

night market here was half empty, there is no huge crowds on the beaches, and the malls

have some local expats and  the foodcourt in both Blue Port and Market Village malls

are very empty.  The bar areas at Soi 80, and Bintabat are mostly slow with some expats and

friends enjoying the lack of crowds. The 2020 low season has already started.

Geezer

2 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

There are still some brave tourists in Thailand from Russia, and Europe, but in my

2 trips to Pattaya, I seen many beaches without tourists. Many expats are seen everywhere

as they also spend some time near the beaches. Jomtien beach was like that as well. The

night market still get many people who do not eat at their homes, still many familiar

faces there as well.  That is what some posters on this forum forget, they are not the

only expats staying 5 to 6 months each year in Thailand.  I am in Hua Hin now and the 

night market here was half empty, there is no huge crowds on the beaches, and the malls

have some local expats and  the foodcourt in both Blue Port and Market Village malls

are very empty.  The bar areas at Soi 80, and Bintabat are mostly slow with some expats and

friends enjoying the lack of crowds. The 2020 low season has already started.

Geezer

How do you know they're expats, not tourists?

21 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Good times to come for residents.

Higher crime, failing businesses, closure of favorite haunts.. 

To revel in the struggles and potential demise of the place you choose to call home is a strange kind of self loathing.