Pattaya tourism: If you think it's quiet now wait for the next six months - grim predictions from industry leader

webfact

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

That's more than 20 years ago. Living in the past or what? 555

"That's more than 20 years ago" So what? The price of everything rises with inflation, so something that cost 50 baht 20 years ago may cost 100 baht now, but the exchange rate doesn't have to half as well!

Potential Vindication for Pattaya City Government/Police.

People go back to their villages.

Businesses close and/or furlough employees.

City Government/Police gets a chance to reevaluate/change their use of civil rules, regulations, operations i.e. business licensing, taxation, maintenance, proactive policing, etc.

Naw! Mai Pen Rai! I Was Lost But Now I Am Found!!!!

"The reason for this was that the relatively few Europeans still on long term stays in Thailand at the moment would soon be gone. And they would not be replaced as few new arrivals will come."

And exactly who is to blame for that? Hmm? 

Edited by sambum

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Luckily Thailand isn't one of those countries, which is why the ferangs keep coming. Or is it cumming?

"The reason for this was that the relatively few Europeans still on long term stays in Thailand at the moment would soon be gone. And they would not be replaced as few new arrivals will come."

Sorry, but I think even TAT have finally admitted/said that the  "ferangs" (farangs?) are NOT still coming in anywhere near the same numbers and in some areas tourist figures are more than 80% down, so don't spout rubbish!

(For years I have seen TAT saying that the tourist figures are UP, when it is painfully obvious by looking down the streets, and in the bars, restaurants, and hotels that they are actually DOWN - year upon year, but of course TAT are the Government, so the figures must be right - right?) 

1 hour ago, claynlr said:

all the people that are cooking and preparing for the festivities and children are drinking water out of the same single cup by the water cooler. 

That is not anything, they like to eat from the same plate picking up and dropping food back on a communal plate with hands that are more familiar with muck than soap... I hate eating there!

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It was over 55 THB/GBP in August 2015.

Brexit has already benefited Sterling.

Date British Pound to Thai Baht Link
Friday 21 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.884 THB  
Thursday 20 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.525 THB  
Wednesday 19 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.320 THB  
Tuesday 18 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.558 THB  
Monday 17 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.566 THB  
Sunday 16 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.661 THB  
Saturday 15 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.722 THB  
Friday 14 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.722 THB  
Thursday 13 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.627 THB  
Wednesday 12 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.385 THB  
Tuesday 11 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.430 THB  
Monday 10 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.425 THB  
Sunday 9 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.430 THB  
Saturday 8 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.371 THB  
Friday 7 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.371 THB  
Thursday 6 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.308 THB  
Wednesday 5 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.284 THB  
Would tend to agree!

And today it's 40.914!

6 hours ago, shackleton said:

There will be  few on here hoping for a quite Songkran in Pattaya

But no doubt the Thai Tourist board will be hoping for more Farang tourists  arrivals  this year

All dependant on how the Chinese virus crisis  works out 

So you think the Chinese virus crisis will be over by Songkran? :cheesy:

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, shadowofacloud said:

No worries. Beach sport championships, marching band festivals, mass Indian weddings, hordes of Russian millionaires, Thai families (actually families from around the whole world) are all coming to rescue!

Time to start building more hotels, more condos, more malls - more of everything.

Look guys--- the enlightened one is a puppet on a string. Now who cares if GM, Nissan, and many more big industrials move out of lieland, China has run out of space, the Yellow river is a cesspit, now the Mekong is drying up, in Lao the fishermen have no fish to catch, the water is so shallow you can walk across the Mekong-- Why-- Lieland accepted the Chinese building Hydro schemes and promised Thailand cheap power so Lieland could promote industry.

Now Liedtoland and Lieland have backfired, the Mekong is screwed by China, Thailand is screwed by China, after all the falangs get shoved out and the industrials move out, CHINA Builds huge industrial plants to replace them- and completes it mission of taking Thailand by stealth and germ warfare- completely polluting and screwing it.

The people will and are now, enslaved peasants at the mercy of puppets on a string.

When the corona virus move out, Thailand will be cleansed and China can complete its mission of total control.

9 hours ago, mickey rat said:

Other than the extreme air pollution and missing Chinese hordes, not much really. The sex tourists are going to keep coming regardless.  

I see what you did there, clever.

The worry is that every year is gonna be a new version of COVID-19. Just another Flu varient, will be up to several new strands of Flu every year.

2 hours ago, sambum said:
Date British Pound to Thai Baht Link
Friday 21 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.884 THB  
Thursday 20 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.525 THB  
Wednesday 19 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.320 THB  
Tuesday 18 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.558 THB  
Monday 17 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.566 THB  
Sunday 16 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.661 THB  
Saturday 15 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.722 THB  
Friday 14 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.722 THB  
Thursday 13 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.627 THB  
Wednesday 12 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.385 THB  
Tuesday 11 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.430 THB  
Monday 10 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.425 THB  
Sunday 9 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.430 THB  
Saturday 8 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.371 THB  
Friday 7 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.371 THB  
Thursday 6 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.308 THB  
Wednesday 5 February 2020 1 GBP = 40.284 THB  
Would tend to agree!

And today it's 40.914!

All currency's are up against the Baht even the Euro is over 34,not really sure it's got anything to do with Brexit.

Any port in a storm I suppose.

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"That's more than 20 years ago" So what? The price of everything rises with inflation, so something that cost 50 baht 20 years ago may cost 100 baht now, but the exchange rate doesn't have to half as well!

But the thread is about why Pattaya is quiet now, compared to last year, not 20 years ago.

9 minutes ago, schvonsky1 said:

<deleted> I’m in Pattaya it’s a fckin graveyard no way is the place same as last year ya dingbat ????

Thanks for the insult ya Smoggie. Or are you a Monkey Hanger?

Or are you a fake? Dingbat's an Aussie term.

Edited by DannyCarlton

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

China can complete its mission of total control.

That would be hardcore, even for Xi, if it turned out to have released this virus on purpose
in order to show the importance of controlling their people entirely, unquestioned.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That would be hardcore, even for Xi, if it turned out to have released this virus on purpose
in order to show the importance of controlling their people entirely, unquestioned.

About as likely as suggesting that a hostile foreign government, possibly involved in a trade war, would introduce it to cripple the Chinese economy.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, saengd said:

"Some" history yes, but unlikely that the Normans will invade again though!

Never say never ...

Fights, wars, invasions, political scandals, financial crises, currency collapses, disease crises etc will all be repeated in one way or another under other circumstances and names - same same, but different ... :thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd

19 minutes ago, mrfill said:

About as likely as suggesting that a hostile foreign government, possibly involved in a trade war, would introduce it to cripple the Chinese economy.

Would make less sense as western countries just injected the biggest amount of foreign money in history, in Chinese stocks.
Nobody talks about that in Mainstream media funnily enough but everyone knows of ''trade wars''.

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You're correct, there are loads of tourists in Jomtien and many half-full or full baht-buses to and from Pattaya. I don't know where they get the info from about a deserted Pattaya. Then posters at TV who are not even here starts with their bs. But of course it will be less tourists here starting next month, that's perfectly normal. 

Probably all those on beach belives HIV doen't exists and belive that while in italy there were 16 cases yesterday and 32 today with 2 deaths, 35 infections and zero death in thailand is due to the fact that is well known that the corona virues dies at temperature equal or above 30 degree.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

something like that would be perfect for me as I am semi retired and doing on and off contract work

I am not suggesting the offer be in place forever, but if such an offer was advertised and was for the next 6 months, I am sure it would attract many people back to Thailand, which would help the tourist areas and local economies. 

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Would make less sense as western countries just injected the biggest amount of foreign money in history, in Chinese stocks.
Nobody talks about that in Mainstream media funnily enough but everyone knows of ''trade wars''.

Exactly - both stories are fantasies.

1 hour ago, lavezzi said:

Probably all those on beach belives HIV doen't exists and belive that while in italy there were 16 cases yesterday and 32 today with 2 deaths, 35 infections and zero death in thailand is due to the fact that is well known that the corona virues dies at temperature equal or above 30 degree.

Normal people don't walk around thinking about HIV all day long. 

1 hour ago, Kelsall said:

OK, so there are few tourists, but maybe they're quality tourists!

Do you even stay in Pattaya? Being the last 10 days in February there are a lot of people in both Pattaya incl Jomtien. More people than I saw the last 5-6 months 2019. It doesn't matter if there are less Chinese people, they are not visible in bars or restaurants even without the Coronavirus. They travel in buses and make some stops now and then for a pre-ordered lunch or whatever. 

• Like 2