"We didn't kill him, he killed himself": Police chief hits back at claims they kicked motorcyclist off his bike

webfact

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

Italy has changed a lot since I lived and worked there in the 70s and 80s;
I have never seen a checkpoint there unless you call a police checkpoint at the motorways tolls ...
I worked there almost 14 years between France and this country when I was an international trucker and lived there full time 1 year in Fiorano Modenese

Well, if you are out on a Friday night, don't drink more than 2 glasses, they are out to get you !

9 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

The biggest issue I have here is,if he had killed and innocent person,would he have stopped or run like he did at the checkpoint

I'll treat that as a question and answer it.

Undoubtedly, IMO, he would have done a runner !

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most of the time kicking and knocking someone of his bike at low speed dons;t cause much damage this time however the poor guy knocked his head against sign and other hard surfaces, so now guys pull out the cheque book and pay compensation and next time think before you kick someone else of his bike...

Why would they need to compensate people that breaks the law? Was somebody telling them to run from the police?

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Poor Thais who are in non compliance are the ones who avoid the checkpoints...

I don’t believe in checkpoints but if the culture is going to have them, that’s why they are there - to capture the ones in non compliance...

if they don’t have the money to pay, then buy a car and they won’t stop you...

no different than black men in America....if enforcement authority tells you to stop, you stop whether you like them or not....if not, bad things can happen when one resists or tries to escape...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Some months ago the police in London were knocking motorcyclists/thieves off their mounts in order to arrest them.

Whatever the rights & wrongs of it, I got the impression that the general public didn't have too much of a problem with it, after becoming sick & tired of lawlessness & crime in London.

Are you sure...as Terrible May insisted police should not chase motorcyclists as it endangers life...hence the increase in "moped roberries"

18 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Don't jumpt to conclusions it is entirely possible poor thais avoid the checkpoints because they may not have money for a helmet or they simply may not have a helmet and 500 baht is a lot of money to many of them.  How long have you lived here?

the chap that didn't pass away,

didn't he say that they had been to a shop purchasing alcohol? need satang for that

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Don't jumpt to conclusions it is entirely possible poor thais avoid the checkpoints because they may not have money for a helmet or they simply may not have a helmet and 500 baht is a lot of money to many of them.  How long have you lived here?

They don’t have the money for a helmet? How did they get the money for a motorcycle? It’s no excuse. The law states you must wear a helmet. If you can’t afford a helmet, or the fine, then get a bicycle. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Some months ago the police in London were knocking motorcyclists/thieves off their mounts in order to arrest them.

Whatever the rights & wrongs of it, I got the impression that the general public didn't have too much of a problem with it, after becoming sick & tired of lawlessness & crime in London.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunate accident but if you dont stop for the police and try to flee away, the police not only has every right to stop you with force but its their job. To let ppl flee away would be doing a bad job.

Sad for the motorcyclist but also a tragedy for that policeman, calling him a murderer is well beyond inapropiate.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tlandtday said:

They have the money to ride a 40.000THB motorcycle, and do not have the money for a helmet?? TIS helmets start with 150 THB, the DOT ones with 1.200.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rossco1 said:

R.I.P another young life gone 

Please remember he had a family maybe even a child 

Speculation will only hurt his family

No matter what its not a reason to kick someone or anyone of there bike 

Bet you would kick a bloke of his bike if you or your family had been wronged by an escaping scrote..????

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

They have only recently been given permission to do it. Previously they were not allowed to do it and were not even allowed to pursue a rider without a helmet. This led to a surge in motorcycle riding thieves who would just ditch their helmets if pursued by the police. The public who were previously not happy with the police knocking people off motorbikes were even more unhappy with the surge in crime.

21 hours ago, tlandtday said:

If they cant afford a helmet for 250 how can they afford a motorbike. Even at 500 thats nothing compared to the cost of a cheap second hand. So if can afford a motorbike you have no excuse to not buy a helmet. 

And how much did their motorcycle cost? Considerably more than 500 baht I think

Ive lived here long enough to know at a checkpoint you stop, not run, why run unless you have a pocket full of no good, your view is let people do what they want regardless of the effect on others.

Your view that this poor person may have had no money to pay a fine is cr-p, he had enough money to to go and by booze and what ever.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Long enough to know this is one of the most ridiculous excuses I’ve read.

Okay, but the fact is there's no proper enforcement by Thai police and it's pretty normal, certainly for local bikes, not to wear helmets - similarly the rules about bikes having to keep left (unless they're slower than acceptable to be in traffic) are not true - the police just go out to collect money.

Ten years ago I stopped responding when they call me over, just ride through and try to avoid being grabbed off my bike - most of the time the police are just trying to grab money. Another example in the car, doing a U-turn on a double lane U-turn six years ago, the policeman stopped me and said I'm not allowed to use the outside lane and must pay.

That is why people view police in this country with contempt and refuse to stop - because they know once they've gone past there will be no further action.

Other countries are not a reasonable comparison - they don't let people in cars do what the f*@ck they like and focus only on stopping bikes to grab cash.

Edited by ben2talk
  • Like 2