"We didn't kill him, he killed himself": Police chief hits back at claims they kicked motorcyclist off his bike

webfact

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If trying to flee a check-point these guys are obviously up to no good, drunk etc, down the line they could injure or kill and innocent pedestrian.

Not true. I always refuse to stop - but I'm never up to no good. This applies to both car and bike... Most times they're stopping people it's just opportunistic money collecting...

They'll try to stop you if a bus parks on the left and you ride past it (not in the gutter - grab him!!!) or if you're turning right on a 5 lane highway (not riding in the gutter - shouldn't be in the right hand lane), or even if you'r on the right coming up to a U-turn on Sukumvit on the way to renew your tax.

It's actually extremely rare that crazy drunk bikers injure pedestrians, mostly bikes are the victims - and helmets wouldn't help them anyway (mostly they drive like buffalo and have no clue because there's no proper training or policing).

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Don't jumpt to conclusions it is entirely possible poor thais avoid the checkpoints because they may not have money for a helmet or they simply may not have a helmet and 500 baht is a lot of money to many of them.  How long have you lived here?

Utter rubbish!

If you can afford a motorbike then you can afford a helmet. no two ways about it.

One goes with the other!

Not having the money to buy one is just a pathetic excuse.

They always have money for petrol, phones and sim card/monthly payment programmes expenses - yes?

A helmet is more important.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, transam said:

The UK police now uses force if need be to stop bikes...

Not the same, There is a big difference.

UK police need to seek approval before taking action and are accountable for their actions in court, if need be, and may leave themselves open to prosecution. I think they would have trouble justifying taking off a kid without a helmet, although it’s a myth that they would don’t chase kids without helmets.

Not the same as these clowns kicking someone off because they feel like it - there is no accountability anywhere in this country. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I have seen them do it with my own eyes more than once, so denying police do it doesn't work with me. There is a depth of stupidity beyond belief when they do it especially to those who aren't wearing a helmet. They know the dangers as people have died from exactly this before, so the cop should be charged with murder, pure and simple.

No, kicking of Motobikedriver who flee a checkpoint is OK! In the USA they shoot!

In any other country the officer who kicks would be facing charges of "manslaughter" while the boss, talking such nonsense, would be at least reprimanded if not demoted. 

It is time to clip the wings of this bunch of evil corruption and self-declared rulers. The fleeing biker must have had something to hide and should have been screened but it does not allow any self-profiling clown in uniform to kick bikes. 

It typifies the low level of training the police have. 

And highlights the lack of respect the public sector has for the road laws, and the people supposedly enforcing them.

The cop strains a ligament and reports sick.

"How did you sustain the injury"?

"Oh, trying to kick someone off a bike"... 

Nice one Mr. Plod.

Maybe they should watch some of the real life cop shows on TV and see how real, trained officers do their jobs..

In America they would pull their guns and shoot them. 

Fortunately we haven't got that bad yet.

22 hours ago, CharlieH said:

They do indeed....

At the 2.19 mark office says "The male is detained. No visible injuries at the moment". I know it was just a figure of speech but I was half waiting for - "We are still working on that".

But on the point at hand, we all know that the practice goes on. Whether a police officer kicked the kick out from under the rider and pillion in this instance, who knows. I'm suprised video hasn't appeared to either confirm or deny. The the senior police officer actually say police never kick bikes or did he say that didn't happen in this instance? Big difference.

As for it happening. It must be frustrating for the police. I watched a traffic cop in a Suttisan soi trying to keep traffic moving at a sub soi intersection one day. He was actually right in amongst it and not just casually waving a rave torch. He would direct traffic in one direction to stop to allow traffic in the other direction to turn right in the small sub soi. Without fail, I scooter or car would disobey and bump their nose into the intersection and cause all traffic to grind to a halt. How that cop kept it together for the 10 minutes I was on the footpath watching, I will never know.

How they do it shift after shift day after day without losing their minds I have no idea, also. But my point is, frustration must play a massive part in this. If Bangkok ever wants some semblance of normality they need to start a zero tolerance crackdown. Give people 3 months continual warning that they need to prepare for no more broken rules. After that period they start openly kicking people off bikes, throwing down tyre puncture devices when feasible and impounding bikes and cars at the offenders expense for even trivial matters.

That is unlikely to happen, so you will continue to see frustrated police kick people off bikes when they refuse to obey a stop request.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We’ve seen enough videos of Police in Thailand kicking people who don’t stop off their bikes. 

So I don’t believe for a second the BiB did nothing. 

However, another facet is how else are the police supposed to stop people trying to flee a check-point?

If trying to flee a check-point these guys are obviously up to no good, drunk etc, down the line they could injure or kill and innocent pedestrian.

So, in this case its possible an innocent was protected by the actions of the Police, something we’ll never know. 

Unfortunately the deceased made his own bed, he crossed and line and paid for it with their life. 

Reckless endangerment by the Police? probably. Unwarranted? maybe not. 

Go back to bed, Richie! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Victornoir said:

When a police officer asks you to stop, you stop.

If you refuse, you immediately become suspect of everything (alcohol, drugs, runaway offender, etc.).

Too easy to blame the policeman who improvised to stop this thug.

I agree about stopping when being required to stop, however should the police have the right to kick a bike endangering the life of the rider, other road users as the bike falls and could cause accidents, not to mention possible injuries to the officer kicking at the bike.

I have witnessed several incdents in various parts of Thailand on this "method" of apprehension, it is disgusting and dangerous.

• Like 2

We’ve seen enough videos of Police in Thailand kicking people who don’t stop off their bikes. 

In the US they would risk being shot dead. Unfortunately, the victim was not wearing a helmet and paid the ultimate price. However nobody seemed to notice. ????

2 hours ago, rossco1 said:

R.I.P another young life gone 

Please remember he had a family maybe even a child 

Speculation will only hurt his family

No matter what its not a reason to kick someone or anyone of there bike 

I can speculate as well. 

Please remember he was attempting to evade the police, he may have been a drug dealer, carrying weapons etc...  

How else would you recommend the BiB stop an escaping motorcyclist?  

24 minutes ago, alexth said:

However, another facet is how else are the police supposed to stop people trying to flee a check-point?

So, in this case its possible an innocent was protected by the actions of the Police, something we’ll never know. 

Unfortunately the deceased made his own bed, he crossed and line and paid for it with their life. 

Go back to bed, Richie! 

I’m sure the posters of other idiotic comments on this thread are now relieved that theirs is not the stupidest. :coffee1:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

Obviously been watching the UK police videos, and trying to copy something which takes a great deal of training.

5 minutes ago, simtemple said:
20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How else would you recommend the BiB stop an escaping motorcyclist?  

You would record his motorcyle license plate number and locate  him later. The Police involved need to be charged with unlawful killing. 

A reasonable option. But what carnage can a drunk motorcyclist, carrying weapons or drugs do in the mean time.

That just sends the message that they can do what they want with impunity and receive a slap on the wrist later for evading the police.

Additionally, what sort of backlash would there be if we found out that a drunk or yabba crazed motorcyclist had evaded a police check point (because the police chose not to use force to stop him) and the motorcyclist killed an infant on the pavement or knocked someone else off their motorcycle etc??

Unfortunately there is no right and wrong in this station: The Police will be damned if they do damned if they don’t. This scenario is tragic, but less tragic than an innocent victim losing their life. 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:39 AM, tlandtday said:

Don't jumpt to conclusions it is entirely possible poor thais avoid the checkpoints because they may not have money for a helmet or they simply may not have a helmet and 500 baht is a lot of money to many of them.  How long have you lived here?

What utter nonsense. They had the money to buy the bike. didn't they? Too many Thais have no respect for anything or anyone. There is a law in both Thailand and Indonesia that people must wear a helmet. My experience is that in Indonesia (Bali, to be precise) 95 percent do, and in Thailand 95 percent don't. And I'm sure that Indonesians are at least as 'poor' as Thais. So it has nothing to do with money but everything to do with not respecting the law. Thais are simply ungovernable. It's in their DNA. They will always do whatever they want, regardless of the law or the consequences.

Oh, and I've lived here for 25+ years.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2020 at 12:36 PM, Andrew65 said:

Some months ago the police in London were knocking motorcyclists/thieves off their mounts in order to arrest them.

Whatever the rights & wrongs of it, I got the impression that the general public didn't have too much of a problem with it, after becoming sick & tired of lawlessness & crime in London.

Was this that crazy spate of crowbar-wielding teams in central London nicking people's mobile phones on street corners? 

Edited by Arthur Mullard