"We didn't kill him, he killed himself": Police chief hits back at claims they kicked motorcyclist off his bike

webfact

1 hour ago, simtemple said:

You would record his motorcyle license plate number and locate  him later. The Police involved need to be charged with unlawful killing. 

He may be fleeing because it was a stolen bike, what then?

My only surprise is that they didn't shoot him.

On 2/21/2020 at 12:39 PM, tlandtday said:

Don't jumpt to conclusions it is entirely possible poor thais avoid the checkpoints because they may not have money for a helmet or they simply may not have a helmet and 500 baht is a lot of money to many of them.  How long have you lived here?

Correct

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 2:39 PM, tlandtday said:

Don't jumpt to conclusions it is entirely possible poor thais avoid the checkpoints because they may not have money for a helmet or they simply may not have a helmet and 500 baht is a lot of money to many of them.  How long have you lived here?

500 baht is a lot to them...But they can buy alcohol as the friend says! 

The alcohol proably cost more than 500 baht!

Hmm ok then LOL

Edited by Tambs2020
Spelling

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Are you sure...as Terrible May insisted police should not chase motorcyclists as it endangers life...hence the increase in "moped roberries"

Wasn't she also Home Secretary for about 5 years, we now have another female Home Secretary. I think women tend to be softer than men, especially in a role like this (soft on crime). Also a lady in charge of the Met who was probably only promoted because of "diversity".

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

They are all wearing crash helmets though, which is a bit different from kicking someone off with no helmet...

But then in LOS the naughty boys would all not wear helmets so the BiB would not touch them...????

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:39 AM, tlandtday said:

Did you not read they were buying alcohol? That cancels the no money excuse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I can't see the reason for such brutality, he didn't try to avoid a check the cop stepped out without warning, could have hit the cop, shame he missed.

On the video there was more tothe back story. This wasn’t a simple ‘check point’ they were trying to stop someone who was already fleeing. The guy was caught with Meth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomauasia said:

Correct

Partially correct: Poor Thai’s avoid check points because they are not wearing a helmet, have not paid, Tax, do not have a licence, have not paid their Por-ror-bor insurance etc etc...  They are avoiding the check points because they know they are breaking the law. 

I’m sympathetic in some cases where someone is so extremely poor they genuinely can’t afford a helmet, so its difficult to tar all helmet-less riders with the same brush - that said, if a motorcycle can be afforded, so can a helmet. 

The same mindset exists with people driving around without a seatbelt on. Its not a matter of being able to afford it, it's primarily a matter of choosing not to and choosing not to abide by the law. 

Some may say helmet-less riders is victimless, but its not. When some idiot rides into me and I can do nothing about and they kill themselves or give themselves brain-damage etc I may be considered partially responsible and expected to pay some form of compensation regardless of fault, I would also have to live with a certain degree of guilt etc.. just because someone else chose not to abide by laws which exist to protect us all. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Wiggy said:

They don’t have the money for a helmet? How did they get the money for a motorcycle? It’s no excuse. The law states you must wear a helmet. If you can’t afford a helmet, or the fine, then get a bicycle. 

In OZ you even have to wear a helmet riding a bicycle :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

Fleeing a police checkpoint shouldn't be a death sentence. 

Correct - it shouldn’t be a death sentence, but he should have stopped then it wouldn’t have been. 

‘fleeing a police check point’ shouldn't be a death sentence for those who may otherwise be the innocent victims of a criminals actions (drugs, drunk driving / riding etc). 

Criminals have to be stopped - unfortunately in cases such as this the Police are forced to take action they would otherwise much rather not have to take. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I have seen them do it with my own eyes more than once, so denying police do it doesn't work with me. There is a depth of stupidity beyond belief when they do it especially to those who aren't wearing a helmet. They know the dangers as people have died from exactly this before, so the cop should be charged with murder, pure and simple.

I understand that the police in the UK are now authorized to use “ force” including “ stingers” roll out nail mats to stop motorcyclists who fail to stop.

Should they’ve charged with murder as well ?

Perhaps if you were the victim of these people you might think differently.

PS research the definition of murder I think you are way off the track.

• Like 1

It's not just a Thai police thing, it's a Thai thing, I've seen Thai males doing this a couple time. Once I guess it was his GF, I saw a Thai chasing a girl on her mc and he came along side and kicked her bike knocking her off....his way of stopping her from going further. Also saw the same thing with a couple young Thais chasing another Thai male on bikes. 

I see. But they have money to buy/rent a motorbike. Presumably then, they don't have money for insurance either? So why are they on the road?

On 2/21/2020 at 3:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

We’ve seen enough videos of Police in Thailand kicking people who don’t stop off their bikes. 

So I don’t believe for a second the BiB did nothing. 

However, another facet is how else are the police supposed to stop people trying to flee a check-point?

If trying to flee a check-point these guys are obviously up to no good, drunk etc, down the line they could injure or kill and innocent pedestrian.

So, in this case its possible an innocent was protected by the actions of the Police, something we’ll never know. 

Unfortunately the deceased made his own bed, he crossed and line and paid for it with their life. 

Reckless endangerment by the Police? probably. Unwarranted? maybe not. 

Even if that's the case, that's his own fault for running from a police checkpoint. Police did their job stopping a criminal who ran from them. He's got no sympathy from anyone here.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:56 PM, brianthainess said:

I can't see the reason for such brutality, he didn't try to avoid a check the cop stepped out without warning, could have hit the cop, shame he missed

did you also miss the part he tried to get away?He saw dxxn well the cop wanted him to stop.