Why are tourists crazy over Thailand's 'elephant pants'?

webfact

By AGENCY

565743.jpg

‘Elephant pants’ can often be found throughout Thailand’s capital Bangkok in shops and markets.

When in Thailand, you can spot a tourist from afar by the “elephant pants” they’re probably wearing. If you want to dress in a way that screams “I’m a foreign backpacker” at locals, there’s no better choice.

Fashion is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to elephant-patterned trousers.

Renato Moran from Peru bought his elephant pants during a visit to a royal palace in Thailand.The so-called elephant pants are rarely worn by local Thais, but these light and breezy trousers can be found in abundance in tourist areas such as along the pubs and hostels of Bangkok’s Khaosan road, once made famous by the 2000 film The Beach starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Full story: https://www.thestar.com.my/lifestyle/travel/2020/02/21/why-are-tourists-crazy-about-thailand039s-039elephant-pants039

-- The Star 2020-02-21

Yeap! These along with those fisherman's pants are truly awful. When I was a backpacker, it seemed that many people were in competition with each other to have clothes like a d***head. People were purposely dressing down in some weird and condescending cultural appropriation. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kemp87 said:

I can just about handle seeing every western female tourist wear them, although painfully unoriginal or in anyway authentic......But when I see Men wearing them it makes me lose faith in Humanity

I want some.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

What does this non-news do in the Thailand news line?
You do not believe that after the dissolution of the main opposition party to the military junta that runs this country that this kind of thread is completely irrelevant ...
There is no shortage of lines on this forum; put it somewhere else.

• Like 1