Why are tourists crazy over Thailand's 'elephant pants'?

webfact

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

I'd put cargo shorts w/ a checked shirt & sandals into a similar category identifying a d***head, wouldn't you? Hence scammers and bent cops often target the wearers of such as easy, well-deserving marks. Now if a Thai wears that combo, would it be also be a weird and condescending cultural appropriation? ???? Actually most of the condescension in this thread will be directed towards the backpackers. We all feel so utterly superior to that group. Among others, of course.

Me, I wouldn't wear the so-called elephant pants out, but they're handy to throw on at night as pajamas if the weather suddenly turns cool, for a quick trip to the mailbox, or sitting out on the balcony in cooler weather. I might also wear a Japanese yukata, however, which would really offend our posters' self-righteous sense of propriety.

You’ve completely lost me. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, BigStar said:

I'd put cargo shorts w/ a checked shirt & sandals into a similar category identifying a d***head, wouldn't you? Hence scammers and bent cops often target the wearers of such as easy, well-deserving marks. Now if a Thai wears that combo, would it be also be a weird and condescending cultural appropriation? ???? Actually most of the condescension in this thread will be directed towards the backpackers. We all feel so utterly superior to that group. Among others, of course.

Me, I wouldn't wear the so-called elephant pants out, but they're handy to throw on at night as pajamas if the weather suddenly turns cool, for a quick trip to the mailbox, or sitting out on the balcony in cooler weather. I might also wear a Japanese yukata, however, which would really offend our posters' self-righteous sense of propriety.

I just wear me undies. But I'm not pretentious.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, emptypockets said:

When have you ever squatted and made it back up unassisted?

I usually set up a pulley system in the rooms of my house. To paraphrase Archimedes, give me a pulley and even that fat blob Yezhov can be moved.

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2020 at 2:49 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

I was told Anutin hands them out to farangs at the airport

Right.

I was asked the other day, why Prayuth has so many completely hopeless muppets in his government.

The only response I could think of was that they're the only people that'll work with him in any capacity.

Anutin - probably the best illustration of the point. Dear oh dear... and Prayuth expects to be taken seriously.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Right......and Prayuth expects to be taken seriously.

Does he though?  I mean, yeah, he expects Thais to take him seriously.  

Do you really think he expects first world countries to take him seriously?  He cannot possibly think that.

4 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Does he though?  I mean, yeah, he expects Thais to take him seriously.  

Do you really think he expects first world countries to take him seriously?  He cannot possibly think that.

Well, world leaders shun him at their meetings, he can't possibly be unaware of that.

But I actually think he might be..

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 12:19 PM, UbonThani said:

Light and cool

Block mozzies

Cheap

Why wouldnt tourists wear them?

My wife loves them (Thai), because they are so confortable. I know many Thais that wear them from all walks of life.

My sister-in-law (Not Thai) loves them too, although she uses local material these days to get new pairs (She works in children's OT and finds them perfect for groundwork with the kids).

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 2:17 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

Even worst, why some guys wear shorts and sandals ?!

Why should they have more style than when staying at their homecountry ?

This world is disgusting !

When I'm back in my home country and wear sandals to the local pub or club I feel overdressed. Putting on a pair of long pants would be taking things a bit too far! 

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:50 AM, Kemp87 said:

I can just about handle seeing every western female tourist wear them, although painfully unoriginal or in anyway authentic......But when I see Men wearing them it makes me lose faith in Humanity

how much are they.

papa wants...