Pattaya: Elderly Foreigner dead in late night motorcycle smash

webfact

Pattaya: Elderly Foreigner dead in late night motorcycle smash

8pm.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported that police and rescue services were called to Soi Khao Talo in Bang Lamung after a 73 year old foreigner riding a motorcycle came off after losing control and hitting another bike parked by the side of the road.

Despite the efforts of Sawang Boriboon who performed CPR Keith P. was pronounced dead at the scene at around 1 am this morning.

Two badly damaged motorcycles - a green Yamaha Aerox and a blue and white Yamaha Fino - were found at the scene.

Witness Phairot, 43, said that the victim was riding along at speed with another motorcycle before he lost control and was thrown onto the ground after colliding with the parked bike.

The nationality of the victim was not known.

Source: Siam Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-21

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I hope this  is not the Keith I met here in Hua Hin.

RIP.

these are not motorcycles.

Neither is a Harley by this definition....

a two-wheeled vehicle that is powered by a motor and has no pedals.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

RIP.

Lost another friend the same way a few days ago on the road to Wat Monghkul. David, was riding late at night, after a party, hit a parked vios and broke his neck. Pillion rider in hospital with broken limbs. Funeral Tomorrow. All avoidable for a 200 Baht taxi ride. So many lately....:sad:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kokopelli said:

Safety on bikes is how you drive them, not your age.

Yes I agree.

Unfortunately the majority of these elderly scooter riders are juveniles and shouldn't be on the roads.

Again and again we are seeing these elderly riders in accidents causing death. Too bloody often

Sad thing is we will see many comments from these elderly riders that think they know better.

I comment regularly on this subject and get a lot of hate comments because of my anti elderly rider comments.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i feel more sorry for the pillion passengers AKA thai girls, they have little choice but to get on the back, 50\50 helmet if lucky, totally exposed

I agree Scuba, This time though the pillion was another Farang.

1 hour ago, VYCM said:

Yes I agree.

Well how well one drives can also be age dependent. Driving here requires a person to be quite alert and sometimes quick. I foresee a time when my bike days will have to end... hopefully not at the same time my days end.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 11:37 AM, NCC1701A said:
On 2/21/2020 at 11:30 AM, webfact said:

Two badly damaged motorcycles - a green Yamaha Aerox and a blue and white Yamaha Fino

On 2/21/2020 at 11:37 AM, NCC1701A said:

RIP.

''A motorcycle is a two or three wheeled motor vehicle. Motorcycles vary considerably depending on the task they are designed for, such as long distance travel, navigating congested urban traffic, cruising, sport and racing''.

https://www.definitions.net/definition/motorcycle

Edited by Moonlover
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well how well one drives can also be age dependent. Driving here requires a person to be quite alert and sometimes quick.

I agree with that comment and there are certainly some doddery old fogies who should not be anywhere near a motorcycle. Having said that, the same is true of cars.

The old saying "speed kills" is very true in this accident by all accounts, and speed will kill you no matter what age or condition you are in.

It's worthwhile considering that the majority of Thai road fatalities are in the 15 to 24 age group and the 70 to 75 age group has the lowest number of fatalities (not percentages, I grant you).

74% of all Thai road fatalities involve motorcycles and over 50% of these have no licences....... 

I've driven my motorcycle here for more than 13 years, as well as my car, and have witnessed some horrendous driving by mainly young Thais on motorbikes, and most without crash helmets, and as the stats would show it's the 15 to 24 age group (some stats show 15 to 29) which are involved in the majority of accidents.

I will continue driving my motorbike until I consider myself unfit to do so, and as long as my eyesight is still very good at 20/18, although I do need glasses for close vision (i.e. reading), then I have no problem with seeing what's ahead of me.

I'm sure that time has slowed down my reactions, so consequently I drive at a speed that enables me to react accordingly to any emergency.

Banning older drivers on motorbikes is not the answer, the answer is enforcing the law with regard to licensing and crash helmets, and also initiating new driving tests for people applying for licences, and just to add to the safety issue, why not force drivers over the age of 70 to undergo a new driving test?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

why not force drivers over the age of 70 to undergo a new driving test?

What a rediculous suggestion, you're just going make the competent, well adjusted elderly road user to suffer. The DLT is not the most user friendly place to visit. 

I've had a license here since 2003, it's hot and cold, but one thing I've noticed over the years it's getting to be a horrible place to visit, the place has changed and rightly so, because as I have always said, the people coming here have changed. 

We need to educate the elderly that are struggling with their ability to ride the roads here in Thailand. 

Please, if your having doubts don't ride the bike, take the car or get a lift, if you get hurt or hurt others everyone suffers 

• Like 1