Bangkok: Motorcycles on the footpath nets 27 million baht in fines - crackdown continues on "win" riders

webfact

Bangkok: Motorcycles on the footpath nets 27 million baht in fines - crackdown continues on "win" riders

10pm.jpg

Naew Na reported that Bangkok's deputy governor Sakonthee Phatthiyakun attended an operation near the Lad Prao/Rachada intersection in Chatuchak district on Thursday in the continued crackdown on motorcycles and cars using sidewalks in the capital.

Sakonthee said outside the Suan Lum Night Bazaar that since the crackdown started in July of 2018 27 million baht in fines had been collected across 50 districts of Bangkok.

Wattana and Wang Thong Lang districts were among the worst with 3 million baht collected in each.

Fines levied are usually 2,000 to 3,000 baht though the law allows for up to 5,000 baht.

He said that the public in the capital agrees with the BMA action.

He said that 100 "win" riders (motorcycle taxis) had been fined for using the sidewalk and that if they offend for a second time they would be removed from lists and have their jackets taken away for three years.

A Thaivisa reporter saw evidence of the crackdown on Pahonyothin Road in the Chatuchak district last week.

Four "tessakit" (municipal) workers in a green pick-up stopped by a road bridge and hurriedly loaded up a motorcycle that was illegally parked outside a shop.

Then, looking about themselves furtively, they quickly got back into their vehicle and drove off.

It all happened in less than 90 seconds.

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-21
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the crackdown started in July of 2018 27

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He said that 100 "win" riders (motorcycle taxis) had been fined for using the sidewalk

Progress  :tongue:  :thumbsup:

Edited by Vacuum

Motorbikes have an awful habit in central Chiang Mai, they park across footpaths so you have to backtrack and walk on the road

that road will have double and even triple parking making it very dangerous...imagine pushing a baby stroller!

some business owners do it every day with impunity ...bikes AND cars

I think it's because they cannot walk one block without dying of exhaustion

bring the flatbed trucks here fellas

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

"Sakonthee said outside the Suan Lum Night Bazaar that since the crackdown started in July of 2018 27 million baht in fines had been collected..."

''Sakonthee said''..............55555

13 hours ago, piewarmer said:

Motorbikes have an awful habit in central Chiang Mai, they park across footpaths so you have to backtrack and walk on the road

that road will have double and even triple parking making it very dangerous...imagine pushing a baby stroller!

some business owners do it every day with impunity ...bikes AND cars

I think it's because they cannot walk one block without dying of exhaustion

bring the flatbed trucks here fellas

Corruption and Complacency  is the national motto.

On 2/23/2020 at 8:49 PM, mok199 said:
On 2/23/2020 at 4:33 PM, Just Weird said:

"Sakonthee said outside the Suan Lum Night Bazaar that since the crackdown started in July of 2018 27 million baht in fines had been collected..."

''Sakonthee said''..............55555

"mok199 implied", with no evidence to the contrary...55555!

Edited by Just Weird

On 2/25/2020 at 2:47 PM, fruitman said:

And Win's driving against traffic (without helmets of course).

I had a aftermarket muffler on the PCX, fully tested and passed by the transport people here, it wasn't loud. had a sticker under the seat showing it was under 96db but the police still gave me <deleted> all the time, I never paid a fine but couldn't stand the discussions and lost time so I dumped the can.