Donald Trump jabs at Parasite's Oscar win because film is 'from South Korea'

snoop1130

Donald Trump jabs at Parasite's Oscar win because film is 'from South Korea'

By Vivian Ho

parasite-movie-donald-trump-oscar-win-1207921-1280x0.jpeg

Google

Donald Trump has taken a jab at the Oscars for awarding this year’s best picture honor to Parasite, because the film is South Korean.

“How bad were the Academy Awards this year?” Trump asked a rally in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The crowd responded with loud boos.

“The winner is a movie from South Korea, what the hell was that all about?” Trump asked. “We got enough problems with South Korea with trade and on top of it, they give them the best movie of the year.”

Parasite made Oscars history as the first film not in English to win best picture. The capitalist satire also won awards for best director, best original screenplay and best international film.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/20/trump-parasite-oscar-south-korea

• Haha 2

Red meat for his xenophobic base that doesn't like movies with any movies with subtitles. 

BTW -- it's an excellent film good or bad.

I was also surprised that it won because it is not usual for a subtitled film to win best picture as there is a foreign film category.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

The man suffers from a bad case of diarrhea of the mouth, Someone need to shut it for him. 

I don't recall the South Korea Film Industry celebrating American film. Correct me if I am wrong. Sure it's a great film, but the Academy Awards is the American Film Industry, and a category exists for best foreign film. This is politically correct nonsense. As for the film, I am sure its a great film, but its a foreign film to the American market.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emdog said:

It wasn't a joke. Trump can't tell jokes. He lacks a sense of humor.  His flailing around and uninformed rants do not qualify as "jokes". Enablers love to say "Trump is joking" when there is no reasonable way to cover his stupidity or xenophobia

Sorry what country's Academy of Motion Picture Arts, and Sciences (aside from the USA), give best picture to an American Film?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

It wasn't a joke. Trump can't tell jokes. He lacks a sense of humor.  His flailing around and uninformed rants do not qualify as "jokes". Enablers love to say "Trump is joking" when there is no reasonable way to cover his stupidity or xenophobia

He jokes all the time. Lefties are so full of hate they can't see it. It's sad.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Trumps hates the fact that Hollywood, like most things American, has been heading downhill, for many years. They only create formulaic junk, with a few exceptions, like the independents. Parasite as great. The second issue is the fact that Trump could not focus long enough to read the subtitles. Chances are, he has never seen a foreign film. 

He does not have a sense of humor. What he does have is a stunning level of hatred of all things Not American. Take food. Does he ever eat anything other than cheeseburgers? Film? Subtitles? Are you kidding me? He is a very low class guy. 

Your assessment of the American Film Industry is correct, but it employs many worldwide, and in the United States. All the more reason to credit American film. The American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is an American institution. The awards should be for film produced in the United States.

I know of no country aside from the United States that honors American film. The Academy awards has a category for best foreign film. The Academy awards best picture, in my opinion, should never be construed to mean the best film in the world, but only the best American film.

The British, French, Japanese, etc, all make great films. Their own Awards should honor them. If they likewise have a category for best foreign film, as do Americans, good for them. 

As for your comment about most things American heading downhill, I find that offensive. But I am not from an insignificant, weak powerless, culturally bankrupt nation which is a shadow of it's former self, and completely lost, so perhaps I should credit your lament as an attempt to motivate from the realities of your loss.

• Sad 1