Donald Trump jabs at Parasite's Oscar win because film is 'from South Korea'

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

And yet you do not dispute a word I said in my post.

Giving me your opinion on what you would like the Oscars to be is not the issue here.We are all well aware how you would like things to be.

As I said, quote a sentence , any sentence,  and then tell me how what I said was wrong.

Are you familiar with the  The Dunning Kruger Effect?

Dude you read a book once about Dunning Kruger once? Stop telling us its about 5 times. Read a new book. The Academy Awards is an American Institution, even if the Academy sells itself to globalists. This is a fact even if the Academy for political correctness wants to sell itself. You didnt grow up around a city that lives and breathes film. Dont try and claim otherwise with your wiki posts.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Maybe its the greatest film in the whole world, but its not American and I am sure it can get a Korean statue.

Just checking, you are aware that one of the USA’s biggest exports, on which we rely for earning money, is entertainment? We, like others are dependent on global trade. We cannot stand alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, khunken said:

You don't know what you're writing about, a pestilence that seems to affect Trump acolytes.

In 2006 Slumdog Millionaire won best picture as well as other awards. It is a British film about an Indian (fron India not the US).

If you go back further you'll find other non-US best picture, so this is all about Trump and the sensitivity of his disciples.

As I said, the Academy has lost its way. Slumdog is one of my favorite films of all time. Now tell me what American Film has one best picture in your equivelent Indian awards?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just checking, you are aware that one of the USA’s biggest exports, on which we rely for earning money, is entertainment? We, like others are dependent on global trade. We cannot stand alone.

Yes  I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and have gripped on films. Which is why protecting that industry is important. The Academy awards should be to honor American Film. The internationalization is changing this. Please tell me what American Film has been given best picture in your Country?

5 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

And I object to you an old man asking me another old man, if I am aware of the size of the American Film Industry as an export. Don't talk down to me man. Again, what American Film received best picture in your countries film awards?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Maybe its the greatest film in the whole world, but its not American and I am sure it can get a Korean statue.

I think maybe  South Korea wins a win off  Trump. As in payback for all the  heroic movies and TV series made in the USA based on the Korean war ? Did  Hollywood ever cough up even a few dollars in royalties to the Koreans for any scenery?????        ????

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I have seen all the nominees and myself know it was the best. Too bad this President uses a re-election rally to instigate negativity normal to his base.

The Academy doesn't  have to live with some of people here self imposed wishes on how they choose to decide. America is STILL the land of the free.

In your view it was the best based on your critical analysis, what is the category of best foreign film for? Lessor films? Lessor foreign films? 

9 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I think maybe  South Korea wins a win off  Trump. As in payback for all the  heroic movies and TV series made in the USA based on the Korean war ? Did  Hollywood ever cough up even a few dollars in royalties to the Koreans for any scenery?????        ????

No, but we did help them keep control of their sovereignty and remain free. Seriously? !!

13 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

And I object to you an old man asking me another old man, if I am aware of the size of the American Film Industry as an export. Don't talk down to me man. Again, what American Film received best picture in your countries film awards?

Sorry if you took it as talking down to you. I asked the question. I did not know you were raised in LA, nor that you had worked as a grip. If you take the whole of US citizens, I believe we would find quite a few who are not aware or ignore the entertainment export earnings from other countries for the benefit of the US. However, we can agree on the last winner from my country ... since it is also the USA. As a retired manner of the working middle class, I have retired to a lower cost country to afford my middle class retirement budget of $2300.00 a month ($1306.00 of that from SS).

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Now I have seen some films occasionally win awards, which when I subsequently watched them, puzzled me as to how the hell they did so.

AFTER watching a movie is probably the best time to make informed comment, though I note he asked the crowd, "Is it good? I don't know."

So he hasn't watched it, but that doesn't prevent him from slagging it off for winning, purely on the grounds it wasn't American!

Now Hollywood has produced some great films over the years and some absolute piles of trash at the same time.

I fail to see though, how a movie made by someone else that is adjudged better than Hollywood, should get treated as political point scoring material, or how a crowd with even some intellectual capacity could follow such utter dross so fervently.

God help us should someone outside America win a major literary prize as I can already hear the calls for the book to be burnt in the streets the way things are going. And we all know where burning books takes us.

IMO it has nothing to do with the Movie. This is dog whistle.

Simply a way to say to his base " I am with you, It's not your fault you are failing,  it's the foreigners, vote for me and I will make everything good for you again" 

Just like a mother lullaby to help the children sleep.     

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Which is far more disturbing than a simple artistic disagreement.

If Donald Trump was never born I object to foreign films being named Best Picture, which I believe should be reserved for American films. It has nothing to do with what the merit, or quality of the film is, and everything to do with who made the film.

27 minutes ago, jany123 said:

I understand completely. This is your view.... no problems

however.... this is not the view of the academy institute. Surely their view on how they award oscars is more relevant than yours. You can easily read up on the rules that the academy has produced over the years, if you’ve a mind to educate yourself... or you can disagree and remain ignorant of the academies role, supplanting your believes on how they determine awards, over theirs.

globalized in recent years? The very first ever academy award was presented to a German.

Your perception is not reality... reality is that the American films on offer this season, were simply not good enough to compete on an international stage (and the academy recognized this... damn humble leftists, eh what?) .... but don’t worry... take heart... the USA has more domestic film award institutes than any other nation, so an American movie would have won in those domestic awards.

If it was the view of the Academy, I wouldnt be in disagreement would I? An objective view based on the history of the subject, and yes a view which, as I already held the view, seems to have been echoed by Trump and resonates with other Americans who may or may not be Trump supporters. But such a world cannot exist without being labeled racist xenophobic etc. 

The Academy awards, is not the cannes film festival, the golden globes etc, its history, until recently is honoring American Film, again, not for being the best in the world, but for being the best from my country  the United States of America . And, a category exists for best foreign film. Not to demean them, but to honor them  and stop attacking my country, and its film industry, it shows your qualities.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Plural

1 minute ago, jany123 said:

The question I refused to answer?

a non US film won.... your question is therefore about eligibility

The eligibilty rules are clear. .”Parasite” complied with the academies eligibility rules and won the contest...  won the vote.

you seem to be complaining about a private institutions rules, developed over a century, because a film made in South Korea beat  the films made in the US.... trump is a sore loser motivated by the need to tell his followers that America is number 1 at something, which is a challenge, unless lying be your norm.

please.... the why of it is explained by the applicable rules. Read them instead of asking others to read them and then explain them to you.

The question was to explain the meaning of the Best Foreign Film Category. 

All you just posted has nothing to do with my disagreement. Have you ever had disagreement with how an organization is conducting itself in your country? A sports Organization for example?

Trump has a disagreement with the Academy. So do I. So do many Americans, in fact we have had such a disagreement for years. 

Now this has nothing to do with the quality of a particular foreign film. Such a film may far surpass any American film in quality. 

It has to do with objections to the academy becoming global in scope rather then American.

Kind of like NATO changing it's mission statement over the years, and now I object to the mission.

Am I not entitled to such views or does this make me a racist xenophobe?

Did the President eloquently express his view? Of course not eloquence is not one of his traits. 

3 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Its quite funny you cast aspersions on a posters comprehension yet fail to understand you are wrong. 

No one cares that you dont like it. The academy made their choice within their rules.

I thought you would be all for a ptivate enterprise determining how to fo things itself. Or do you prefer them to bend over to your demands against their own rules.

Your just trolling here

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Sorry if you took it as talking down to you. I asked the question. I did not know you were raised in LA, nor that you had worked as a grip. If you take the whole of US citizens, I believe we would find quite a few who are not aware or ignore the entertainment export earnings from other countries for the benefit of the US. However, we can agree on the last winner from my country ... since it is also the USA. As a retired manner of the working middle class, I have retired to a lower cost country to afford my middle class retirement budget of $2300.00 a month ($1306.00 of that from SS).

Not only a grip I have raised funds for 3 films. And this is a matter of my disagreement of if the Academy should be the primary mechanism for honoring American film, OR the premiere global award for global film. I believe the former, and obviously so does Trump

He said so vary untactfully, but a serious discussion could be had to the meaning of this award to American film.

2 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Your assessment of the American Film Industry is correct, but it employs many worldwide, and in the United States. All the more reason to credit American film. The American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is an American institution. The awards should be for film produced in the United States.

I know of no country aside from the United States that honors American film. The Academy awards has a category for best foreign film. The Academy awards best picture, in my opinion, should never be construed to mean the best film in the world, but only the best American film.

The British, French, Japanese, etc, all make great films. Their own Awards should honor them. If they likewise have a category for best foreign film, as do Americans, good for them. 

As for your comment about most things American heading downhill, I find that offensive. But I am not from an insignificant, weak powerless, culturally bankrupt nation which is a shadow of it's former self, and completely lost, so perhaps I should credit your lament as an attempt to motivate from the realities of your loss.

Although we rarely seem to be in agreement on much, I do agree about the academy rules. Not sure how a foreign film gets to be nominated as best foreign film, and best picture. Seems like some sort of contradiction and also seems like it may have been a weak kneed PC kind of move. 1917 was a far better film. Parasite was great, but it did not deserve as much accolades, or awards as it got, in my opinion. It was not best picture material. 

In terms of finding what I said about America offensive, I tend to think you are living there? Most who live there really just do not have alot of perspective on just how lost the nation is. I double down on everything I have said about the downfall of America. It is not a fun place to live at this point in time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WalkingOrders said:

Not only a grip I have raised funds for 3 films. And this is a matter of my disagreement of if the Academy should be the primary mechanism for honoring American film, OR the premiere global award for global film. I believe the former, and obviously so does Trump

He said so vary untactfully, but a serious discussion could be had to the meaning of this award to American film.

Personally, I will leave this in the hands of the Academy. I understand your position. As to The Donald, I reject his own words, his own policies, his own actions. His response to this issue is typical. He is a person far out of his depth, a bull in the china shop.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Although we rarely seem to be in agreement on much, I do agree about the academy rules. Not sure how a foreign film gets to be nominated as best foreign film, and best picture. Seems like some sort of contradiction and also seems like it may have been a weak kneed PC kind of move. 1917 was a far better film. Parasite was great, but it did not deserve as much accolades, or awards as it got, in my opinion. It was not best picture material. 

In terms of finding what I said about America offensive, I tend to think you are living there? Most who live there really just do not have alot of perspective on just how lost the nation is. I double down on everything I have said about the downfall of America. It is not a fun place to live at this point in time.

I live in Thailand 4 years now. In the USA I have lived one year or more as an adult in Hawaii Haleiwa, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Austin Tx, Miami FL, Tallahassee Fl, Atlanta Ga, and Manhattan NYC. The USA is different everywhere you go. I suggest you change what your watching and reading and test to ensure your views are not based on what you are told. Things are not dismal

Edited by WalkingOrders
Sp

8 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Personally, I will leave this in the hands of the Academy. I understand your position. As to The Donald, I reject his own words, his own policies, his own actions. His response to this issue is typical. He is a person far out of his depth, a bull in the china shop.

Such is your view. I wish you best.

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

IMO it has nothing to do with the Movie. This is dog whistle.

Simply a way to say to his base " I am with you, It's not your fault you are failing,  it's the foreigners, vote for me and I will make everything good for you again" 

Just like a mother lullaby to help the children sleep.     

The United States is not failing

18 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

The question was to explain the meaning of the Best Foreign Film Category. 

All you just posted has nothing to do with my disagreement. Have you ever had disagreement with how an organization is conducting itself in your country? A sports Organization for example?

Trump has a disagreement with the Academy. So do I. So do many Americans, in fact we have had such a disagreement for years. 

Now this has nothing to do with the quality of a particular foreign film. Such a film may far surpass any American film in quality. 

It has to do with objections to the academy becoming global in scope rather then American.

Kind of like NATO changing it's mission statement over the years, and now I object to the mission.

Am I not entitled to such views or does this make me a racist xenophobe?

Did the President eloquently express his view? Of course not eloquence is not one of his traits. 

Ok.....

the purpose of the best foreign film category is for “excellence in international film with a non English dialogue”

Parasite won that award... it also qualified for and won the best picture awards

your issue appears to be that this is an award open to the world... lol... trump might put tariffs on them... sorry... but it’s an award open to the world. If parasite had won an American award, not available to foreign movies, then you have an argument, but this is not the case.

crikey... next up would be Olympic medal winners being denied a medal, at any future Olympic Games held within the USA.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I got it. Not man enough to apologize for being wrong

There is a vacant lot next to my place toughguy if you want to make this little dumb conversation on Oscar awards about manhood. I will ask for percentage on side bets. Call the day.