Donald Trump jabs at Parasite's Oscar win because film is 'from South Korea'

snoop1130

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

It has being said that a "Little education is a dangerous thing". It means that:

" The proverb 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' expresses the idea that a small amount of knowledge can mislead people into thinking that they are more expert than they really are, which can lead to mistakes being made.

and that's how Propaganda works. it is not in what you are being told, what you know, it is in what you are not being told , what you don't know that leads one to make cognitive mistakes, and people such as you support trump. 

So let's get a little more knowledge on the subject. 

"The Academy Awards, more popularly known as the Oscars,[1] are awards for artistic and technical merit in the film industry. Given annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), the awards are an international recognition of excellence in cinematic achievements as assessed by the Academy's voting membership. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards

The film industry, not the American film industry!!!

The Oscars are given by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS).

Not the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, simply the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences . I hope you will agree that "Parasite " was a motion picture that require "Art: and "Science" to be made, Do you disagree?

Pictures from all over the world  are nominated for best Picture and many other subcategories, including the one you mentioned.

Over the years 11  Foreign language  Pictures have being nominated for best picture . Many of them very good and deserving pictures . I submit to you that this picture did not win because of political correctness but because it was deserving, I submit to  you that many of the 11 foreign language pictures that were nominated did not win because of what was considered then to be political correctness. 

I am indebted to you for the clarity to this response. I wanted to respond like you have. You touched on all points so well.  Thank you

Edited by earlinclaifornia
spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Ok.....

the purpose of the best foreign film category is for “excellence in international film with a non English dialogue”

Parasite won that award... it also qualified for and won the best picture awards

your issue appears to be that this is an award open to the world... lol... trump might put tariffs on them... sorry... but it’s an award open to the world. If parasite had won an American award, not available to foreign movies, then you have an argument, but this is not the case.

crikey... next up would be Olympic medal winners being denied a medal, at any future Olympic Games held within the USA.

No. This is not about the olympics, or tariffs, or even Trump. He mearly expressed a view held by many, who support him or don't. He expressed his view crudely, therefore a million jump to day the view itself must be wrong, racist xenophobic etc. Just stop shutting down conversation. How many comments have I read about America declining, making bad films, being a bad country here. And so it goes. For years the world look at this award because of American film greatness. Now its an international award? And thus the conversation turns to bashing American film? It gets old

And regarding the decline in American film that has been brought up here, and how this ties to my view of the Internationalization of the Academy.

American film is now filled with international film financing that produce blockbuster super hero films with simplistic English dialogue, easily trsnslated to foreign subtitles, for an international market larger then the US box office.

The result is generic non-American in heart films with no soul.

Hoping for a renaissance. Sunset boulevard and Gone with the Wind really are great films.

2 hours ago, UbonThani said:

US awards. Trump is right. The US should stop pandering to others.

Ignorance and xenophobia. A great combo. You may wish that the Academy Awards were reserved for Americans. But they’re not. You seem to be doing fine anyway. 

Official Criteria 

Like any other contest, certain rules indicate what films are eligible for Best Picture. In fact, they are the same rules that any feature-length film must adhere to in order to qualify for most Academy Awards. These rules are the film:

• Must have a running length of more than 40 minutes
  • Have been exhibited theatrically on 35mm or 70mm film, or in a qualifying digital format
  • Must open in a commercial theater, for paid admission, in Los Angeles County between January 1 and midnight December 31, and run for seven consecutive days, at least three screenings daily (one of which needs to be between 6 PM and 10 PM)
  • Be sufficiently advertised in Los Angeles media
  • Films that receive their first public exhibition or distribution in any manner other than as a theatrical motion picture release are not eligible for Academy Awards in any category
  • Official screen credit forms and copies of the main and end title credits must have been submitted to the Academy by December 1“

https://www.liveabout.com/qualifying-for-best-picture-oscar-4071766

Edited by androokery
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, androokery said:

Ignorance and xenophobia. A great combo. You may wish that the Academy Awards were reserved for Americans. But they’re not. You seem to be doing fine anyway. 

Official Criteria 

Like any other contest, certain rules indicate what films are eligible for Best Picture. In fact, they are the same rules that any feature-length film must adhere to in order to qualify for most Academy Awards. These rules are the film:

• Must have a running length of more than 40 minutes
  • Have been exhibited theatrically on 35mm or 70mm film, or in a qualifying digital format
  • Must open in a commercial theater, for paid admission, in Los Angeles County between January 1 and midnight December 31, and run for seven consecutive days, at least three screenings daily (one of which needs to be between 6 PM and 10 PM)
  • Be sufficiently advertised in Los Angeles media
  • Films that receive their first public exhibition or distribution in any manner other than as a theatrical motion picture release are not eligible for Academy Awards in any category
  • Official screen credit forms and copies of the main and end title credits must have been submitted to the Academy by December 1“

Thank you for quoting the rule book. Now step onto another dimension of time and space where people may disagree with how an organization has changed, and what the rules are. Magically they express these views. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Although we rarely seem to be in agreement on much, I do agree about the academy rules. Not sure how a foreign film gets to be nominated as best foreign film, and best picture. Seems like some sort of contradiction and also seems like it may have been a weak kneed PC kind of move. 1917 was a far better film. Parasite was great, but it did not deserve as much accolades, or awards as it got, in my opinion. It was not best picture material. 

In terms of finding what I said about America offensive, I tend to think you are living there? Most who live there really just do not have alot of perspective on just how lost the nation is. I double down on everything I have said about the downfall of America. It is not a fun place to live at this point in time.

1917? That’s a British film. Not American????

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

No, but we did help them keep control of their sovereignty and remain free. Seriously? !!

lol. Ok. But if in all seriousness IMO Hollywood  has been pumping  out so much prolific rubbish in general  that even devotees of zombie  movies are  zombied  out ! I have not seen this movie that is the basis of this topic  but  a few  Korean movies I have watched (even with  subtitles) have been very enjoyable in every way. Hollywood seems to have lost any concept of originality.

3 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Thank you for quoting the rule book. Now step onto another dimension of time and space where people may disagree with how an organization has changed, and what the rules are. Magically they express these views. 

You do understand that the members of the academy, who are eligible to vote, come from just about everywhere? As scary as it may seem, they’re a pretty diverse group - even if there’s room for improvement in regards to diversity????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

lol. Ok. But if in all seriousness IMO Hollywood  has been pumping  out so much prolific rubbish in general  that even devotees of zombie  movies are  zombied  out ! I have not seen this movie that is the basis of this topic  but  a few  Korean movies I have watched (even with  subtitles) have been very enjoyable in every way. Hollywood seems to have lost any concept of originality.

Not sure what is so funny. But my debate has nothing to do with the quality of foreign film. I do not consider most foreign film subpar. Blockbusters come from Hollywood as international funding, and distribution is available for them. I posted earlier on this.

2 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

No, but we did help them keep control of their sovereignty and remain free. Seriously? !!

Did you personally participate in the Korean war? If it was before your time, maybe you’d feel inclined to acknowledge other countries’ contributions to the freedom of the US? You could check what France did and at what cost to their own country. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Toy Story 3, The Beauty and the Beast and Up were all nominated both as Best Animated Feature and Best Picture. Is that as wrong as what happened with Parasite? The only thing I think is weird about this is inconsistency. If a work is considered Best Picture and it is a foreign work, shouldn’t it also, by default, win the category Best International Feature Film? Parasite however won both. Toy Story 3 only won Best Animated Feature. Highway robbery. 

12 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Not sure what is so funny. But my debate has nothing to do with the quality of foreign film. I do not consider most foreign film subpar. Blockbusters come from Hollywood as international funding, and distribution is available for them. I posted earlier on this.

There you  have it !  " International". Funding, distribution, audiences, etc. Not exclusive to  the USA in terms  of  any of that.  Nor  exclusive  to the Academy Awards by virtue of  same.  International business ventures.

International  actors, Directors,  offshore  production  companies, sound  labs, editing  labs, special effects  etc where prescribed. My amusement I find in your adamant insistence  that the "Oscars" belong so exclusively  to Hollywood and  therefore the USA considering the International aspects  involved in a speculative industry for potential profit. What is  100%  "Made in the USA" ? Components for US  military  aircraft are  sourced  from...wait  for  it.... China ! OMG !

Nothing  is  sacred! And certainly  not  "Awards"  for fantasy films.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

No. This is not about the olympics, or tariffs, or even Trump. He mearly expressed a view held by many, who support him or don't. He expressed his view crudely, therefore a million jump to day the view itself must be wrong, racist xenophobic etc. Just stop shutting down conversation. How many comments have I read about America declining, making bad films, being a bad country here. And so it goes. For years the world look at this award because of American film greatness. Now its an international award? And thus the conversation turns to bashing American film? It gets old

Dude... it’s always been an international award. That it’s international, makes it the preeminent awards to watch/have. The academy is for “film greatness”, not “American film greatness”, according to both the academy and history.

If you exclude foreign participation, the academies will devolve (more decline urged by trump) to a domestic awards ceremony, and there are 2 dozen or so other American entertainment awards that are domestic already... they will tell you who made the best American picture, but the world watch the academies to see who made the best picture, even if it’s South Korean.

how many comments have you read about America’s decline? I don’t know, but I would bet it pales to insignificance when compared to how many times I’ve read the opposite

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, androokery said:

You do understand that the members of the academy, who are eligible to vote, come from just about everywhere? As scary as it may seem, they’re a pretty diverse group - even if there’s room for improvement in regards to diversity????

Diversity? Is the concept of national identity a concept foreign to you? Must nothing be local or unique to a nation? You do understand my argument correct? Must the Premiere organization for awarding film in the USA be controlled by outside interests rewarding foreign film rather then American ones? Is an organization rewarding the best of American film a bad thing? I suppose once the organization is transformed to please the global box office thats the way it goes. 

1 hour ago, androokery said:

Did you personally participate in the Korean war? If it was before your time, maybe you’d feel inclined to acknowledge other countries’ contributions to the freedom of the US? You could check what France did and at what cost to their own country. 

The topic that came up was of Korea, yes I know France saved America from the Nazis Thanks. 

4 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Diversity? Is the concept of national identity a concept foreign to you? Must nothing be local or unique to a nation? You do understand my argument correct? Must the Premiere organization for awarding film in the USA be controlled by outside interests rewarding foreign film rather then American ones? Is an organization rewarding the best of American film a bad thing? I suppose once the organization is transformed to please the global box office thats the way it goes. 

You have clearly misunderstood what the Academy is. And no, to summarise all your questions, nothing good comes from nationalism. Or the tiny amount of good it might theoretically contribute is overshadowed by the consequences of all the lives lost through the manipulation of people’s sense of nationalism and fear of the other. 

11 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

Not only a grip I have raised funds for 3 films. And this is a matter of my disagreement of if the Academy should be the primary mechanism for honoring American film, OR the premiere global award for global film. I believe the former, and obviously so does Trump

He said so vary untactfully, but a serious discussion could be had to the meaning of this award to American film.

You and Trump believing something does not override the guidelines for awarding the Oscar.

They have rules , they abide by them, same cannot be said for Trump, or his understanding of the guidelines.

Perhaps he felt the name meant he was the subject matter?

• Thanks 1

Just more nonsense from the executive in chief who forgets he is there to run the country for everyone's benefit not just there to play golf,send out mean and stupid tweets, sack people who try to advise and guide him and play golf.and play golf and tweet and play golf and tweet and play golf and tweet

and play golf.Repetitive just like Potus's life, lies and bankruptcies to add to the mix.Thank God he is a stable genius hate to see how a dummy wold run the country,

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tug said:

Hasent trump got more important things to do oh I forgot it’s trump the laziest president in history yea he’s got time my bad

You obviously do not know American history, and are unfamiliar with his record of accomplisment. Sanders declared winner in Nevada by sizable margin. It will be Trump v. A communist. Americans will not vote to tank their own economy. 4 more years!

• Confused 1