Neighborhood suggestions?

Nakmuay887

I don't know BKK as well as I should and now I'll be moving there for a teaching position 

I mostly stay in the Sukhumvit area when I visit the city but living there is out of my budget. I was thinking about the Patumwan or Narathiwat area.

I'd love some suggestions, gotta be some hidden gems around 

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

Sukumvit 50 and 52, or near abouts.

On Nut BTS. Tesco, Tops, Big C...all close.

Lots of restaurants and pubs/ bars. Cheap Charlies has moved to Soi 50.

Bargains can be found. Big 50sqm+ down to 34sqm.  12,000 and up. Decent large 1 bedrooms for 17,000 and up. 

I know an agent that specials in the area....if you're interested.

17 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Cross Sukhumvit and head up 77 to the Lumpini buildings and you can get 30sqm condos for ฿7,000.  If you avoid the condos and instead focus on apartment buildings, you can find ฿5,000 units.  Just have to avoid the agents and go directly to the buildings.  Lots of apartments on the side sois off 71.

Both of these sound great. I'll do some hunting this week. I'm back in BKK tomorrow evening 

• Like 1

Which would you prefer:

1. To be within walking distance from MRT in a nice neighborhood with plenty of restaurants, bars and street action and pay 30,000-60,000/month rent?

2. Commute 4 hours a day to and fro to some desolate neighborhood with nothing but rundown slum housing on buses and expensive (and dangerous) motorcycle "taxis" or Grab and pay 3000-10,000/month rent?

10 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Which would you prefer:

1. To be within walking distance from MRT in a nice neighborhood with plenty of restaurants, bars and street action and pay 30,000-60,000/month rent?

2. Commute 4 hours a day to and fro to some desolate neighborhood with nothing but rundown slum housing on buses and expensive (and dangerous) motorcycle "taxis" or Grab and pay 3000-10,000/month rent?

I found several places near the BTS that were very affordable in the Phra kangong and on nut area with more than I need. 

I live quite simply, 

• Like 2

I would seriously suggest one of the condos along the river. There's zero traffic noise, most of the good condos have their own ferry which drops you at Sathorn pier, you jump off and take the escalator to the BTS (Saphan Thaksin). Lovely breeze from the river if you leave your balcony open, sit and enjoy your beer in the evening. Rents are lower than in the Sukhumvit area

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Which would you prefer:

Huay Kwang is only a few minutes MRT to Asoke....plenty cheap apartments there with shopping and food stuffs..don't have to go far...I could commute in 4 Hours from Pattaya..

5 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Budget would be 15k a month or so. 

The Trendy condo soi 13 is around your budget 17 to 20 k for studios 35 sqm 

Building is very well maintained and full recent repaint with a fantastic pool area and large modern gym and a 5 minute walk to Nana and Asoke BTS so you get to stay lower Sukhumvit. Pm if you need a contact number 

Edited by madmen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, captpkapoor said:

I would seriously suggest one of the condos along the river. There's zero traffic noise, most of the good condos have their own ferry which drops you at Sathorn pier, you jump off and take the escalator to the BTS (Saphan Thaksin). Lovely breeze from the river if you leave your balcony open, sit and enjoy your beer in the evening. Rents are lower than in the Sukhumvit area

There you'll hear the longtaiboats, partyships, jetski's and so on...and smell the fumes of diesel..

• Like 1

I agree with the advice to look for a rental close to your job or a short commute on the subway.  My partner and I live in Pattaya but we have a getaway condo near the Phetchaburi MRT station.  We like this location because it's close to the airport link for when we travel, easy to get to the motorway, major malls just 1 stop on the MRT, and the klong behind the condo has water taxis.

6 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

The closest station would be victory Monument. Closest to my work. 

5 minutes by walking 

I used to live in that neighborhood.  Everything you needed was nearby - restaurants, pubs, shopping, etc...  I had a big, cheap room at Ratchaprarop Tower Mansion. 

• Thanks 1

Rangnam Road is nice, with trees, restaurants, pubs at the end, and several condo buildings in the vicinity. It's literally next to the Victory Monument Station, worth taking a look. Big cinema and shopping complex including Tops supermarket at the corner of the road.

I lived in a building there at the end farthest from the BTS for a month that was cheap but basic. There are others around, and its a good area.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Oh Nuts would work.

Walk around Tesco everyday plenty of expats to chat with.

But, one day you will probably wake up and say to yourself: Oh Nuts, why the heck did I move here..

Haha I'm probably boring company for most other expats. I'm only 32 

46 minutes ago, Nakmuay887 said:

Haha I'm probably boring company for most other expats. I'm only 32 

That makes you good company.  

In terms of suggested locations the posters who mentioned the Victory Monument area have it nailed.  You should be as close to work as possible, to save time and money.  It's also no if you can pop home for lunch, or to change your clothes or whatever else you might need to do.   

I live right next to a BTS station on Sukhumvit and pay 8000, although to be fair I've lived here about 8 years now so the rent has probably gone up for other units in my condo.  My office is also next to a BTS station (4 stops), so the commute isn't too bad.   But my reason for living here was based on my social life which revolves around Sukhumvit.