Thai court dissolves opposition party critical of military rule

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

Why? Didn't they hold a bi-election after a Khon Kaen MP was banned because he was imprisoned for murder? So there will now be 11 constituencies left without an MP! What a complete shambles. Clearly we still live under a military dictatorship and democracy is still a long way off. What happened to all those ruling party MPs who owned media shares. Have their cases been heard yet? 

Because an open seat is a seat that can't vote against them. In the aftermath of this sham court ruling, they know that calling bi-elections will see their current, openly gerrymandered house majority quickly evaporate as any viable opposition easily comes up with more desirable, likeable candidates than the clique of army despots ever can. Their pool of retired sycophants was already quite shallow and the few smarter ones that actually were soldiers, are keeping their heads well below the parapet when asked, 'Do you want to come out of your comfy, pre-funded retirement to become an MP?'

The only army faction with a garrison chock full of wannabe politicians hasn't had their coup yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seajae said:

looks like the pm is doing a hun sen, removing anyone/party that can challenge him, we may be in for a dictatorship for years to come looking at what the govt is doing, have to wonder how big the cake box sent to the court was, this does not bode well for Thailand

Indeed.

The coup supporters on here should hang their heads in shame.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The court ruled that the money Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, party leader, dished out in loans represented a massive donation – illegal under Section 66 of the Political Parties Act, which limits donations to Bt10 million per year

A rather idiosyncratic court interpretation of the Organic Political Party Act. 

I find hard to understand the manner which the learned judges inability to distinguish the different between loan and donation. The Act spelt out specifically the legal context for donation not loan. 

Where did the Bt10 million appeared as mentioned in Section 66. This seem a travesty of justice in the most blatant form.

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0498.pdf

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

I agree however, that has been the case in many other countries in the past. Take a look at the people of Hong Kong, getting the <deleted> beaten out of them....and coming back for more.....a different breed perhaps?

As Chairman Mao said "power comes out of the barrel of a gun"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Living on the Darkside, in Pattaya, I will be watching from the bleachers, beer in hand and not a care in the world. I've no doubt that it won't affect me in any way.

Actually, it may accelerate the weakening of the THB ... so yes... the affect for you is "More Beer Please!"  555

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

many were soon defiantly raising “three-finger salutes”

Looks like a salute to 'hitler' less one finger. I hate salutes except between the Boy & Girl Scouts, policeman to policeman, military soldier to officer or to the flag. I don't even like the gate guards/security saluting.

18 minutes ago, JAG said:

I too have wondered when the reaction will occur, and what will be the catalyst will be. Perhaps when (next election?) there is a clear, unequivocal majority for the opposition parties and the regime gerrymanders the results to remain in power.

What is clear is that the dynamics in Thai politics are changing. A new grouping (class?) is emerging, young, educated  - maybe not so much in the widely understood "western" sense, given the shortcomings of the Thai education system so perhaps we should say more aware. They know that they have no hope of any advancement as long as political and economic control, employment and business opportunities are held in the grip of the super rich "elite". This is demonstrated in the emergence and electoral success of Future Forward, under its predominantly young leadership team. The hyper wealthy clique and the military ( whoever calls the shots - it is debatable) are aware of that. But they are aging, as is their traditional foe, Thaksin and his Pheu Thai. 

Future Forward, (or whatever it is to be called now) are young, they have time on their side. The gerontocracy are running out of time. The single universally respected stabilising presence in Thai society has gone. The new young er opposition clearly have no time for the remaining shibboleths of society: the patriotic slogans, the respect for uniforms and status and the ridiculously bloated and corrupt "establishment" organisations. 

The reaction will come, I am sure. Perhaps sooner if military rule resumes, later if the traditional corrupt gerrymandering denies them their political voice.

Sure but I wonder if there's another slant re you last paragraph.

IMHO if won't be too long before the ruling coalition collapses (certainly hope so), then 3 possible scenario questions (or more):

1. Will the PM be able to 'reorganize' what's left to continue in power? Doubtful he could get the numbers without very obvious bribing of more folks from the opposition and looking very incredulous and unethical / immoral sparking even more criticism.

2. A new election, and IMHO the re-birth of FF and Korn's new party would probably dominate the numbers and with others who will never be drawn to a coalition offer by P, might be able to form a government.

3. If things start to look even worse for the current ruling coalition perhaps P might try to bring in some new election rules requiring that the house of reps must include a certain % of seats appointed by a military body. Or something similar. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure but I wonder if there's another slant re you last paragraph.

IMHO if won't be too long before the ruling coalition collapses (certainly hope so), then 3 possible scenario questions (or more):

1. Will the PM be able to 'reorganize' what's left to continue in power? Doubtful he could get the numbers without very obvious bribing of more folks from the opposition and looking very incredulous and unethical / immoral sparking even more criticism.

2. A new election, and IMHO the re-birth of FF and Korn's new party would probably dominate the numbers and with others who will never be drawn to a coalition offer by P, might be able to form a government.

3. If things start to look even worse for the current ruling coalition perhaps P might try to bring in some new election rules requiring that the house of reps must include a certain % of seats appointed by a military body. Or something similar. 

Reading opinions outside Thailand it is fare to say Prayuth is merely a face of the government yes he is inept but he is there for a reason he will be replaced by the physcotic army guy in time (and we all know who Apirats  main backer is)

Sadly for Thailand this current situation and future plans which most certainly do not include a democratic government and any sort of progressive thinking are now being controlled and manipulated  from 8,789 km afar!

• Like 2