Thai court dissolves opposition party critical of military rule

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

I agree however, that has been the case in many other countries in the past. Take a look at the people of Hong Kong, getting the <deleted> beaten out of them....and coming back for more.....a different breed perhaps?

Yeah true, but remember HK people tasted democracy and they don't like the thought of that being taken off them...... Worth fighting for......... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The future of Thailand could become filled with fear and violence...anarchy and civilian casualities...

Stay vigilant and keep a low profile until this thing plays itself out in the arena of public confrontation and opinion...

Yes, unfortunately, is good advice. Francisca Castro being non-Thai and in the human rights group, I hope will spread the word. Having said that I'm not sure other governments aren't really bothered.

Not my country, but my gut tells me, cracks are beginning to show. Things are a little sketchy. Karma doesn’t feel right. Thailand has come a long way in a century with some talented leaders. Thailand is a great country. Thailand and India are the only hope for free asian countries. 

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

8 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

They have banned an intelligent, well educated, wealthy, photogenic, dynamic, charismatic handsome young man who will fit the role of martyr quite nicely.

Nice adjectives and a fair observation.

But I would add "politically naive" to that. As unjust as all this appears to be, the party and its leader have probably provided enough rope to have themselves hanged.

Rooster

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SammyA said:

Something tells me he’s not going to let this stop him. 

Unfortunately, there are other accusations yet to be faced by Thanathorn and other FFP leaders. I think the plan is to have him/them imprisoned, or forced to flee the country.

Edited by chickenslegs
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

There is no such thing as democracy, anywhere.

Democracy is certainly finished in any country where those who have the vote , do not work and rely on government benefits reach large enough numbers to decide who governs....England for example..Where roughly 47% of voters are 'lifelong labour' and the same number are 'lifelong tory'..it does not take too many minorities to be the deciding factor in all elections

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Living on the Darkside, in Pattaya, I will be watching from the bleachers, beer in hand and not a care in the world. I've no doubt that it won't affect me in any way.

You don't know what you are talking about. The day they decide they can bulldozer all the stupid beer bars in Pattaya in order to bring "respectable tourists", they simply will and they won't give a <deleted> about your baby cries! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1