Switch on! AIS first off the mark with 5G

rooster59

Switch on! AIS first off the mark with 5G

By THE NATION

800_bba92ee716b9fa3.jpg

Advanced Info Service (AIS) officially switched on its 2600MHz 5G network on Friday (February 21).

It was awarded the licences by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission earlier in the afternoon.

AIS became the first operator in Thailand to receive a 2600MHz frequency range to provide the 5G service after paying a first instalment on the price on Friday morning.

AIS has earmarked an initial investment budget of Bt10 million-1Bt5 billion for providing 5G service to key areas over the next 12 months.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30382585

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-22

12 minutes ago, rickudon said:

We were upgraded on Friday (Maybe we are the first?). However only my netbook can  see the 5G option (supposedly). we now have 2 wifi options, 5G and 2.4G. the other computers and phones are on the 2.4G.

You do know the difference between 5G broadband and 5 Ghz wifi ?

And no, you must have been one of the very last that had their router upgraded to 5 Ghz wifi, others had that years ago.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

You do know the difference between 5G broadband and 5 Ghz wifi ?

And no, you must have been one of the very last that had their router upgraded to 5 Ghz wifi, others had that years ago.

Yes, i did wonder, Just what was relayed via thai wife by the installer. They did say we should have been upgraded a year ago.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 9:52 PM, bradiston said:

Wonder if they're using Huawei equipment

Sure they do.

They use the leading technology/supplier.

There is an article in the "other" newspaper.

(just search "ais 5g huawei")

Edited by KhunBENQ

14 hours ago, rickudon said:

We were upgraded on Friday (Maybe we are the first?). However only my netbook can  see the 5G option (supposedly). we now have 2 wifi options, 5G and 2.4G. the other computers and phones are on the 2.4G.

The 5Ghz frequency band on Wifi has nothing to do with mobile 5G (or 4G, 3G, etc)---two completely different animals....kinda like how AM and FM signals are different.   The 5Ghz band on Wifi has been around for many years....and the 2.4Ghz band on Wifi even longer. 

If you have a router that broadcasts both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz bands "AND" your client devices (i.e., computer, phone, etc) have the capability to receive the 5Ghz band then your client devices will see both the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz signals.  If your router and/or client devices is around 5 years old or older then they may not have have 5Ghz capability; only 2.4Ghz capability.

Edited by Pib

Probably next year I'll upgrade to a phone that has 5G capability, but with 5G just now beginning with baby steps in Thailand the 5G coverage across Thailand will surely be limited....probably focused to dense, high population locations like in the large towns.  I've also been with DTAC for the last decade...and been a very happy DTAC customer....no complaints about their post-paid service, pricing, and frequency capability/coverage (i.e, 3G, 4G/LTE, etc).   

However, when it comes to transitioning to 5G on a "Thailand wide" basis they appear to be far behind AIS and True.   It's like the latest 5G license action where they only bought 2 licenses compared to many more bought by AIS and True.   See below chart.

Plus there was another recent article which showed DTAC far behind AIS and True with total 5G bandwidth after the most recent actions. I can't find that article now but I think AIS now has 1200Mhz 5G bandwidth, True 800Mhz, and DTAC only 200Mhz.  Of course DTAC has promises of increasing their 5G bandwidth hopefully through some kind of near future deal with bandwidth that TOT already owes.   But, I'm not convinced.  Once I do get a 5G capable phone at that time I'm going to look hard at DTAC 5G capability/coverage in comparison to AIS & True, and I just may switch to AIS then/port my number to AIS.  Don't even want to consider True based on past experience with their mobile/internet/TV service.

image.png.67a2e668e2a19354528d13bf45831d9a.png

I wonder if they'll sell 5G unlimited data packages for people who stay in Thailand for short term and don't wanna deal with fiber/VDSL ?

5G at 26 Ghz may work out good with high base towers and rural areas (except god damn Trees blocking the signal)

Here's an updated bandwidth chart of Thai mobile carriers after the most recent 26Ghz license auction. 

Regarding DTAC, their available bandwidth in the 700Mhz to 2600Mhz range is quite similar to AIS and True in the frequency rate....so, that makes me feel better about remaining with DTAC.  And this 700Mhz to 2600Mhz range is good for lower population/rural areas where you can't be putting a cell tower/antenna array very 500 meters or so as the bird flies for adequate signal strength which will be required for 5G operating in the 26GHz ballpark where range/obstacle penetrating capability of that frequency is low. 

Although much more bandwidth/speed can be provided with a 26Ghz license that frequency ballpark has a low distance/obstacle penetrating capability....really needs a line of site connection....even a person standing between your phone and 26Ghz signal can seriously degrade signal strength/speed.  That's why 26Ghz will probably be limited to higher population areas during the initial years of implementation where it would be easier/profitable to put up a "lot" of 5G antennas hanging off closely spaced buildings....but for lower population/rural areas I expect the 700Mhz to 2600Mhz 5G frequencies will dominate....lower 5G speeds but greater range/obstacle penetrating capability.   

image.png.a3e7ff13da45a86535cc644f749a16eb.png